Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0038 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I am troubleshooting a Firepower master display with segment "c" out on the master display and players 1 and 2 displays. 3 and 4 player displays are fine.

These slave displays are working perfectly using a master display from my Flash game so I know the issue is with the master.

I replaced all of the 10KOhm segment resistors (R1-R14) as well as the 3MOhm R15, R17 and R19 but I still have the same issue.

I think the next thing I should look at is IC9 the 7180 but I am not sure.

Does anyone have experience fixing the master displays?

Thanks!

IMG_0041 (resized).JPGIMG_0041 (resized).JPG
IMG_0039 (resized).JPGIMG_0039 (resized).JPG
IMG_0038 (resized).JPGIMG_0038 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

The problem could be on IC9 or upstream of IC9.

Check IC9 pin 15 with game in the display test, with volt meter. Be very careful of high voltages when working on displays with -100vdc!

Volt meter set to volts, black probe connect to cabinet ground. Red probe connect to IC9 pin 15. What voltage do you measure on this pin? Does it ever change? Compare to another output pin such as pin 14 or pin 16. It should be changing around between -100vdc and maybe -27vdc.

Next repeat the same exact test but put the red probe connect to IC9 pin 4 (the logic input). Does it alternate between 0volts and 5vdc?

#3 7 years ago

The 10k current limiting resistors will burn open too. That a lot of times is a symptom of a blown out segment driver contained in the UDN chip

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't check the voltages on IC9, I just replaced it. I will check the voltages this time.

After replacing IC9, the 7180, all of the segments are working in the MDB and players 1 and 2. But now all of the displays on the MDB and players 1 and 2 are dimly lit and "fuzzy". Players 3 and 4 are fine.

I re-flowed all the pads on the MDB but the problem persists.

I also replaced IC5 and IC8 (the 4543s).

Next I will replace IC4 and IC11, the 6184s.

#5 7 years ago

try one display at a time. you might have a glass dragging down the rest.

#6 7 years ago

I replaced IC4 and IC 11 and no change. I also replaced the Player 2 and 4 Keep Alive resistors, (R16 and R 18).

I tried connecting the displays one at a time and still the same issue. These displays work fine when I have the MDB from Flash connected to it so I think the issue is isolated to the MDB.

I'm going to take a closer look at the contacts on the board.

#7 7 years ago

Just an update. It turns out that I replaced IC9 with a 7180 and NOT a 7180A. The 7180 is a lower voltage chip, the 7180A is a direct replacement for the Williams MDB.

Once I put in the correct chip (7180A), it all worked. Just something to keep in mind when troubleshooting.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-3-7-master-display-segment-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.