Gorg drop mech (resized).jpg
Gorg bottom before (resized).jpg
A2D6C591-DCA4-4676-ADDA-E5F73FCE12FC (resized).jpeg
MP Inside coin door (resized).jpg
MP chimes (resized).jpg
MP back box (resized).jpg
Firepower finished (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I am going to call this project mostly done after working on it for a couple of years. I may do more cosmetic tweaks, at a later date. I will definitely continue to rework the sound packages. Alas, we have a complete platform. MP main (resized).jpgMP main (resized).jpg It all started with a cheap project Williams Flash. I thought about the fact that there a few boards in the market place that would allow you to switch game software on the fly via dipswitch. Most folks are familiar with Rottendog and Alltek products. The Rottendog MPU 327 combines the mpu and solenoid driver boards which is great. Then I ran across a few people talking about these French boards being sold out of Germany. Upon further investigation, I discovered that they are actually MPU, Solenoid driver AND Sound boards, all in one! This board would be the glorious Pinball Technologies NW7 pcb. That's what really got my wheels turning. At that point, why couldn't I just put one of those boards in a game and just swap playfields like video game cartridges? I could and I did! All I needed in the head was the NW7 and a power supply board. MP boards (resized).jpgMP boards (resized).jpg It would all be a piece of cake...let's just say it's been a gratifying journey. Luckily I have some talented friends and there are some great products in the marketplace that allowed me to do it all. Big thanks to Taylor Reese(Reese Rails), David Wolff(Wolffpac Tech), Coos Hakvoort(Bally Bingo specials aka backglass wizard), and Shannon Edens(Edens Creative). In addition to Pinball Technologies, I also utilized to some stuff from Upkick pinball, NMP sensors and Outside Edge.

I currently have four playfields that run in it- Firepower(Hardtop resto with drop target mod), Gorgar(Hardtop resto), Flash(future Hardtop resto), and Hot Tip. I will elaborate on each of them in separate posts. First, more on the basic system. The NW7 allows you to change sounds, similar to Pinsound. It also has a jukebox function which allows you to play music or background tracks when the game starts. You can have a lot of fun with these features. The other great thing about the NW7 is that there is a stereo speaker output option. The Flash cabinet had one, down firing, cheap speaker like all the games around that time. With all of these sound options available, I had to do something about the speaker set up. I got the idea to take a Firepower 2 style speaker panel which originally had a single speaker in the center of it and cut out holes for two speakers for stereo. I picked up one these speaker panels on ebay or somewhere. I was able to have a sign shop reproduce the plastic element that is on the front of that panel. Taylor Reese actually took this panel and made a new reproduction with routed openings for the stereo pair of 6X9 speakers. I painted it and it all went together perfectly. speaker panel (resized).pngspeaker panel (resized).png

Using that speaker panel created a new challenge for me. The Flash back box was designed to use a Williams early SS full size backglass. I then had to cut out some wood and add some new sections to support using this panel. I also had to add hasps to lock it into the head like it did originally in FP2 and the like. Next I acquired a Firepower 2 light insert panel to go with the speaker panel. Getting the correct position while installing that was a pain but I got it done. Now I'll just throw these six digit displays in this system 7 insert panel...wait, this display driver board/credit and ball display will not fit on the frontside of this insert panel. So, this is where David Wolff sent me some options to work it out. Firepower finished (resized).pngFirepower finished (resized).png The solution was to mount the driver board on the back of the insert panel like a System 7. What this meant was I had to hardwire a credit/ball display that was mounted on the front side to the actual holes on the driver board where the individual numeric units would be soldered in. display driver (resized).pngdisplay driver (resized).png

I know this is getting long winded. Playfield compatibility ended up being easier that I thought on the wiring front but harder on the fitment front. I only ended up having to moving a pin or two in the playfield side of the wiring harnesses to make them work in the Flash cabinet. However, I had to cut out some notches in the playfield support rails to make room for certain mechs. I also modified a Stern 4 chime unit with with coils of correct voltage and fitment to play Hot Tip. Oh, and don't forget the dummy score reel like they used in the original SS Hot Tip. MP chimes (resized).jpgMP chimes (resized).jpg Ok cool, I have all these playfields working in this cabinet. I need a custom backglass! I poked around for someone to help me with art for it before I realized the person I needed for this was right under my nose. Shannon Edens had already done some design work for our pinball club. I thought we could take the basic layout from the Firepower 2 backglass and tweak it. Shannon did a killer job and then Coos worked his magic to make a fully legit, mirrored backglass. MP back box (resized).jpgMP back box (resized).jpg Alas, I present the Williams System 3-6 Multi-Pin!
MP coin door (resized).jpgMP coin door (resized).jpgMP Inside coin door (resized).jpgMP Inside coin door (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

What an interesting and cool project! Kind of a "Solid State P3 Multimorphic pin".

You should do a time lapsed video of changing out playfields within the same cabinet along with a bit of game play for each of the different playfields.

#3 1 year ago

Fantastic and well done...love it

#4 1 year ago

Well done, need custom cab graphics now

#5 1 year ago

You sir are a nerd of the highest order... the type that can not only be creative, but bring that creativity to life. Well done sir.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

What an interesting and cool project! Kind of a "Solid State P3 Multimorphic pin".
You should do a time lapsed video of changing out playfields within the same cabinet along with a bit of game play for each of the different playfields.

This is forthcoming.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Well done, need custom cab graphics now

Yeah, that’s on the long term to do list. The aged generic looking Flash art works for now.

#8 1 year ago

This is really cool! Great thought and execution on this.

Chris

#10 1 year ago

This is awesome! Theoretically, how many different playfeilds could you put into this thing without having to alter your current design? Assuming of course that they are williams system 3-6 playfeilds.

And do you have plans to incorporate more playfeilds into this?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

This is awesome! Theoretically, how many different playfeilds could you put into this thing without having to alter your current design? Assuming of course that they are williams system 3-6 playfeilds.
And do you have plans to incorporate more playfeilds into this?

I would assume any single level playfield would be doable. The more I looked at it, I realized that aren't tons of games that I really wanted. People's game preferences could be different from mine. For instance, I shopped out a Tri Zone playfield and ran it in there. I thought it was pretty terrible and stripped all of the new parts back off it and used them on another project. I did a Blackout Hardtop resto before this project. If I didn't already have a Blackout, I would have done one of those for it. If I see a good deal on a roached Blackout playfield, I might yet do one up just like my other Blackout playfield. I could sell my dedicated Blackout and free up a space in our lineup Here is a little video of that Blackout.

#12 1 year ago

What a cool project Before I got a larger games room I had thought about installing a zif socket on an original WMS mpu board and using this to easily install the game rom that matched the swapped in playfield. Another approach would be to burn multiple game roms to a larger eprom on a little adapter board with dip switches to select the desired game - you could use the test board that pincoder sells for this.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I would assume any single level playfield would be doable. The more I looked at it, I realized that aren't tons of games that I really wanted. People's game preferences could be different from mine. For instance, I shopped out a Tri Zone playfield and ran it in there. I thought it was pretty terrible and stripped all of the new parts back off it and used them on another project. I did a Blackout Hardtop resto before this project. If I didn't already have a Blackout, I would have done one of those for it. If I see a good deal on a roached Blackout playfield, I might yet do one up just like my other Blackout playfield. I could sell my dedicated Blackout and free up a space in our lineup Here is a little video of that Blackout.

I haven't played tri zone but it doesn't look all that exciting. Blackout is definitely a game I want to have. Apart from the games already incorporated in your multi pin and out of the remaining system 3-6 machines, alien poker would be about the only other one I'd be interested in. Now of course you have to automatically exclude the wide bodies, unless you decide to make a wide body multi-pin for your next project!

#14 1 year ago

I had to put another new voice call in Gorgar.

A2D6C591-DCA4-4676-ADDA-E5F73FCE12FC (resized).jpegA2D6C591-DCA4-4676-ADDA-E5F73FCE12FC (resized).jpeg

#15 1 year ago

I picked up this Gorg bottom before (resized).jpgGorg bottom before (resized).jpgGorgar playfield at the Allentown show. It was a bit rough but workable. IMG_0693 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0693 (1) (resized).JPG It wasn't as bad as the Firepower playfield I redid before.(we will get to that one next) Gorgar had some burnt up coils and missing parts. I sorted all of that and did some mods. I put all new inserts in and then put on a Hardtop. I like changing a few insert colors when it's appropriate. I used blue for the stars at the bottom. Gorg apron (resized).jpgGorg apron (resized).jpg The top side got mostly all new parts including new Cliffy return frames, plastics, pop assemblies, Reese rails, and Scared Stiff flipper bats. Gorg pops (resized).jpgGorg pops (resized).jpgGorg saucer top (resized).jpgGorg saucer top (resized).jpg I painted the apron black and got a new apron decal from Planetary. I was very disappointed when I applied that decal. The white showed up great but the red turned to a very dark red. They need to put a layer of white under the red. I decided to get on the magnetic Gorgar apron cover from Tilt Graphics. It gets the job done. On the bottom of the playfield, I made upgrades as well. I put on WPC flipper mechs.Gorg flippers (resized).jpgGorg flippers (resized).jpg I added connectors to the drop target banks for ease of service. Gorg drop mech (resized).jpgGorg drop mech (resized).jpg I swapped out the old horshoe sensors for new NMP magnetic sensors. Gorg drop sensors (resized).jpgGorg drop sensors (resized).jpg These things work flawlessly. Lastly, who doesn't like a lit saucer. I think that's everything for Gorgs.

Gorg saucer bottom (resized).jpgGorg saucer bottom (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#16 11 months ago

It was great to meet everyone who came by to check out my game at Allentown!

5433DF20-8BB0-47E7-9BAB-D61F02243247 (resized).jpeg5433DF20-8BB0-47E7-9BAB-D61F02243247 (resized).jpegFC9E21D4-DB23-48AC-9AB3-B67A2027CE43 (resized).jpegFC9E21D4-DB23-48AC-9AB3-B67A2027CE43 (resized).jpeg
#17 11 months ago

Played the Multi-Pin at Allentown. Played great! Was Gorgar when I played it and was fun! Great concept and fantastic execution.

Well done!

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-3-6-multi-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.