Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Just had my best game ever on Diner and found out the game will not display a score of over 100 million points. My old high score is still listed as number 1 (93 million something). Talk about a bummer. I knew Pinbot can't do this but figured they would have fixed or updated this in system 11c. There are plenty of spaces in the master display for all the digits!

#2 3 years ago

Score is stored in most system 11 games as 4 bytes so [12][34][56][78] for the digits. I think Whirlwind handles this correctly as someone got 122 million on mine a long time ago (and only stopped because the right flipper link melted) and it displayed correctly but this was 10+ years ago so don't remember for sure.

Some games recognize the overflow so you can get credit for the score but it won't be able to store it correctly. It's not so much a matter of space but there's a lot of extra programming involved (although not too much if your core routines are set up correctly) to add digits. Not just the actual addition of score, but audit routines, animation routines, flat out space to show the digits (they already bumper up 10 millions scores P1-P2 which can be hard to discern), etc.

You can get /10 roms that could "fix" this at least untill you break 999 million! They are definitely a hack though.

It's not limited to 11c BTW, it's really just a decision by the game programmer how they handled this. F-14 recognizes >10 scores up to 20 million, and sets the HSTD to all 9's. (Black Knight does this too, way back in the early days of that programming system which spans system 7 to 11c). I forget what Pinbot does but it's really an issue on that game since its stock form doesn't cap the solar value like it should and you can turn it over easily.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11c-100-million-point-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.