• Latest reply 11 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0243.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I am having an issue with my Space Station pin. One of the segments on the player 1 and 2 display will sometimes not turn on. Usually when this happens I will shut it off for the night, come back the next day, turn it on and it will be working as usual again. Then it randomly stops working. Sometimes I can watch the segment flicker on and off across both player 1 and 2 displays.

Any ideas on what is causing this? I attached a image to illustrate the issue. Note the F, R, E, P, and A.

IMAG0243.jpgIMAG0243.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Since its intermittent, it is probably a connection issue - a ribbon cable likely, but could also be a lead of a PIA or something on the CPU board.

Could be something like when the game warms up, a connector warms up and completes a circuit, or the opposite, once it warms up, it loses connection.

That analogy could apply to the ribbon cable, either end of it, or anything along the way in the circuit.

The segment that is out in the pictures is segment 'g'

Look at page 63 of your manual, which is in the fold out schematic section, and trace segment g back through the display board to the CPU.

Note that you are looking for segment g - not segment g' - the ' means it's on display 3 and 4

It looks like segment g goes back through U12 to connector J1, which mates to the ribbon cable that runs to 1J22 (the ribbon cable) on the CPU. Specifically, 1J22 Pin #25. It also goes through SRC2 to pin 16 of U41, a 6821 PIA.

So, somewhere along the way, I would guess you have an intermittent connection. I'd start with the ribbon cable. Wiggle each end of it carefully with the game on, and see if the segment goes away and comes back as you wiggle it. If it's not that, then I'd carefully pull the display and check for cold solder joints along the path as listed in the schematic, as well as the CPU.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. Resetting the ribbon cable did the trick, probably a dirty contact. If it happens again I will try cleaning the contacts and if that fails replace the cable.

#4 11 years ago

Nice write up John.

My taxi does this too. Upon turning on, the displays are usually scrambled for a few minutes. After the game is on for awhile, the display correct themselves.

Same thing happens with the music/sounds too. Warming up corrects things.

Strange. I should just pull the board and resolder the connectors for both.. I think the sound issue is something different though.

#5 11 years ago

The displays and the sound board are controlled by PIAs on the CPU board. Perhaps there's something in common where one has a cold solder joint, or works fine once it warms up. Looks like U10 controls the sound, and U51 the displays. They have some components in common downstream.

Do you have a can of freeze spray? Fire the game up, and once everything warms up, hit the PIAs with a little freeze spray, and see if the problem returns... once you find what causes the problem to return, you know where the bad connection is.

How's your power supply output? In spec?

#6 11 years ago

Hmmm... never tested the power supply. I should though, as the game reset the other day.

I generally just send boards out to Clive for repairs. This board set has never been out for repairs. Probably time.

Interesting idea about the freeze spray..

2 months later
#7 11 years ago

On my space station both two and four player are completely out. Does anyone have any suggestions on this I found in the manual there was one display fuse on the power board and it looked blown so I replaced it, but still no luck. Both are still not working.. Are there any other display fuses?

Thanks,
Cory

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

On my Space Station both two and four player are completely out. Does anyone have any suggestions on this I found in the manual there was one display fuse on the power board and it looked blown so I replaced it, but still no luck. Both are still not working.. Are there any other display fuses?
Thanks,
Cory

Did you switch the displays with working ones to see if it was the actual display first? Had one out on mine, I did this and realized the display itself was dead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11b-space-station-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.