Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

At a bare minimum you will need to replace the diode on the coil and Q-77 and Q-76. You will also need to check the switch gap, coil resistance, coil sleeve and skirt/spoon movement.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

ok then i should also add that when i turn the machine on it says adjust switch 23 right bank yellow. any idea what im looking for here? im assuming a yellow wire on the right bank? is this on the playfield or somewhere in the back box? all of the yellow wires on the playfield seem to be for lighting

Do you have a manual? If not you can download one.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=1176

Look at page 32. It will show you the switches and there locations. Now that you know where the switch is, look under the P/F for a broken wire or an open diode.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

still having the issue with the solenoids tho

For now you need to cut one of the wires from the coil and insulate it, replace the fuse. The game will function until your ready to repair it.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

if i cut one of the wires from the solenoid that locks up and replace the fuse the game will function all except for the one pop bumper?

Yes, cut the single wire on the coil and place a piece of electrical tape on the end of the wire.

Quoted from Clizifer:

and if i replace those 2 transistors i should be able to reconnect it and be fully functioning?

Maybe, if you replace the 3 parts I said then you will be ready to test it to see if it is ready to reconnect the wire.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

where would i find the replacement transistors?

In no particular order,
Marcos Spec.
Great Plains Electronics
Tayda
Ebay

Quoted from Clizifer:

it seems some of the flashers arent working either.

Flash blubs are 7 volt #63 bulbs, since they are 7 volts they are 2 bulbs run in series. This means that if one bulb were to burn out neither bulb will work. You can install #89 12 volt bulbs in place of the #63 bulbs. This will make them last 4 times longer.

Quoted from Clizifer:

and how would i check the coil itself?

The manual will show this coil as a 23-800. There is a chart for telling what resistance each coil should be.

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

When looking at the chart for this coil it shows 4.2 ohms. Cut one side of the diode off and then test with a DMM set the ohms.

Quoted from Clizifer:

the kickback coil seems to be weak if it works at all

There is a switch under the P/F that turns this coil on by way of snubber relay. Clean the switch contacts with a new dollar bill. Then adjust the switch contacts and test by rolling a ball across the wireform on the top of the P/F. Replacing the coil sleeve will help reduce friction and gain back some lost power.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

how do i find out what the number of the transistor is

In the manual, page #52 shows the parts # that you need. 2N4401, Tip122 and for the coil diode 1n4003.
Now for the TIP 122 I use a TIP102 as they are 60% stronger. And for the coil diode I use 1n4007 diodes for any diode that has a 1n400x number.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/2N4401

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/TIP102

Now for the display you need to move it to a working spot to see if it dead or if the cable is bad. The top displays are different then the bottom displays so you can only more them left and right, not up and down. If it's dead after moving it to a known working spot then remove it and reflow the solder pins on the backside. Then retest it.

#17 5 years ago

Depending on whether its the top or bottom display.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/displays/7%20Digit%20Numeric-2.jpg

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/displays/7%20Digit%20Alpha-2.jpg

Quoted from Clizifer:

my best bet is to replace them and then see if it fixes the issue?

Replace, but then test without connecting the coil. If the coil locks on again it will ruin all the new parts you just installed. The board can only handle replacing these parts some many times before its ruined.

1 week later
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Replace, but then test without connecting the coil. If the coil locks on again it will ruin all the new parts you just installed. The board can only handle replacing these parts some many times before its ruined.

You need to test with the coil disconnected.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

i put the board back in and tried the game and it still works the same.

How do you know its still the same if you didn't connect the coil? The best way to check this is with a voltmeter. Set it to ohms and with the power turned on to the game, check the resistance from ground to the metal tab of the transistor in question. A low reading means the transistor is conducting and further testing is required.

#23 5 years ago

Last thing to check is the pop bumper activation switch, it needs to open @ 1/16 of an inch. If this is good then turn on the machine, remove the balls and lift the playfield. Then take the wire for the pop coil and lightly touch it to the coil. If it doesn't activate now then lower the P/F and replace the balls and start a game. Then remove the balls again and lift the P/F and touch the wire pop coil again, if it doesn't activate then you are ready to solder the wire back on and test again by playing a game.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

decided to rebuild the pop bumpers as most of the plastics are very brittle and cracking.

Always a good idea, nothing better than snappy pops.

#27 5 years ago

Playball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-special-solenoid-issue?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.