Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clizifer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

hey all, new to the forum but have been collecting pins for quite a few years now. anyways i just purchased a williams high speed pinball machine. have always loved this machine since i was a kid and finally pumped to own it. its currently only partially working tho, the 3 pop bumpers at the top and the 2 lower slingshots are not functioning. visual inspection i found a fuse blown in the backbox, the 2.5a special solenoid fuse. i replaced it and turned it on, the top left pop bumper coil pulled in and the fuse immediately proceeded to get hot and blow. curious what the issue could be? does the pop bumper coil need to be replaced? any help is appreciated. thanks

#4 5 years ago

ok then i should also add that when i turn the machine on it says adjust switch 23 right bank yellow. any idea what im looking for here? im assuming a yellow wire on the right bank? is this on the playfield or somewhere in the back box? all of the yellow wires on the playfield seem to be for lighting

#6 5 years ago

ok awesome, i found it. the diode wasnt making contact onto the middle pin of the switch. just fixed that and im not getting the error anymore. still having the issue with the solenoids tho

#9 5 years ago

ok so let me get this straight. if i cut one of the wires from the solenoid that locks up and replace the fuse the game will function all except for the one pop bumper? and if i replace those 2 transistors i should be able to reconnect it and be fully functioning?

#11 5 years ago

ok i did it and the game is functioning all except the one pop bumper and it seems some of the flashers arent working either. but it is playable. where would i find the replacement transistors? and how would i check the coil itself? the kickback coil seems to be weak if it works at all. anyway to test it or should it just be replaced?

#14 5 years ago

ok so i was able to go through all the bulb and flasher test and fix all the burnt out bulbs. i then went through the coil test and was able to get all but the one disconnected pop bumper working. turns out there was a loose connection on the kick back coil. at this point the game is working a lot better than when i started, my only 2 issues now are the one pop bumper and i have one display that is dead.

how do i find out what the number of the transistor is? i have located them both on the main board but im having trouble cross referencing the number on the transistor itself to the ones they sell at marco. lastly where would one be able to find replacement displays for this machine? i bought some a few years back for one of my older em bally machines, it was a diy kit that you solder together yourself. would love to find the same thing for this williams machine

#16 5 years ago

ok awesome. those parts are very cheap, so im guessing my best bet is to replace them and then see if it fixes the issue? i tried swapping the display and it is definitely dead, tried reheating the solders and no difference. i think i might just buy the replacement upgraded pinscore ones from marco with my electrical components

1 week later
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Depending on whether its the top or bottom display.
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/displays/7%20Digit%20Numeric-2.jpg
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/displays/7%20Digit%20Alpha-2.jpg

Replace, but then test without connecting the coil. If the coil locks on again it will ruin all the new parts you just installed. The board can only handle replacing these parts some many times before its ruined.

ok so i finally got the parts in and i have swapped out the 2 transistors, i put the board back in and tried the game and it still works the same. im going to change the diode on the pop bumper coil and solder it back into the circuit and test. is there anything i should do before this?

#20 5 years ago

how can i do that? like i said after i changed the transistors i turned the game on and it functions as before. still have the coil disconnected. should i re connect it?

#22 5 years ago

ok, i just tested the resistance and it is very high, does that mean im good to reconnect the pop bumper?

#24 5 years ago

ok, i tapped the wire and it didnt activate, i think im ready to put it back together. decided to rebuild the pop bumpers as most of the plastics are very brittle and cracking. ill report back when i get it all together. thanks for all your help

#26 5 years ago

just finished rebuilding my pop bumpers and got it all back together and everything is working as it should. pumped to play some games! thanks again for all your help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clizifer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-special-solenoid-issue?tu=Clizifer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.