16 days ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by fixintoplay
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200725_083815 (resized).jpg

#1 16 days ago

I am having an issue on Earthshaker where one of the call outs is very, very slow. Almost like its running on dead batteries.
    Do I need new sound roms or is this a board issue?

#2 16 days ago

Try this 10-minute low-hanging fruit checklist to start ruling out suspects on that system 11B by working thru the sound paths. Maybe there’s resistance on one pin somewhere. Try reseating the ribbon cable connectors between the MPU and audio board. Then remove each rom from its socket in the sound section of the MPU (while in situ), gently clean the rom pins with a soft brass brush and reseat. Then move on to the audio board, do the same to the roms and reseat everything. For me, it was easier to remove the audio board and reseat all connectors when I did this for sound-related troubleshooting. Could keep you from buying parts and extra board work you might not need.

#3 16 days ago

I will try this. Thanks
    What is situ?

#4 16 days ago

In situ: in place; without having to move or remove. My tech writer habits creep in sometimes.

#5 15 days ago

Unfortunately this did not help.
    What should I do next? Would buying new sound roms help?

#6 15 days ago

I assume you’ve run sound tests? Audio board and general system? Check your manual for the procedures which could identify malfunctions.

#7 14 days ago

How do I test lights or sound?
    I can find audits and adjustments, but it ends there.

#8 14 days ago

Page 35 describes the audio board and sound circuitry tests. Test #2 describes the sound diagnostic switch SW1 on the left Lower edge of the CPU which checks voices. In your OP you mention “call outs” so I’m assuming that means voices.

#9 14 days ago

I don't have a manual so I didn't realize the test switches in the back.
    When I hit the sound test, it just beeps 3 times over and over.
    When I hit the cpu test I get this on the display.

20200725_083815 (resized).jpg
    #10 14 days ago

I thought you had a manual. Before you test or post anything else, get one in front of you. It's the book of secrets. You'll need it to understand how your machine works and how to keep it in good working order. It's available free to read and/or download at:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=earthshaker&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#753

Find and click: "English manual" in the IPDB listing. I downloaded, printed and bound mine for Jokerz! (virtually identical to yours), which I refer to all the time. You're lucky -- Earthshaker's pdf is much clearer than the fuzzy Jokerz file, so I use yours more often.

If you had a manual, you'd know what those "three rings" mean. They're significant. And it's defined on page 35 under step 2, as I spelled out in my last post. I could easily tell you, but I'd rather help you find it yourself. It specifically addresses your issue. This is why I find fixing pinball machines more gratifying than playing them.

#11 14 days ago

Thank you for this, I searched for a manual for a while with no luck. I am on it.

#12 14 days ago

Ok, manual says 3 beeps means U4 chip problem. Would replacing that sound chip fix it?

#13 14 days ago

No. You're not reading this section correctly, but you're trying. That's good. U4 is on the Audio Board and is not part of the SW1 switch test you ran - the game does that test automatically at start-up. You should get one tone at start up which indicates "system OK". Do you? If so, that means the audio board and U4 are fine.

Move to the next 2 paragraphs about the SW1 switch test you just ran. What does it say about the "three or five rings" you heard after you pressed that switch? It tells you the problem ROM chip: U22. You probably already reseated it in my earlier checklist. If so, replace it. Next, you'll need to address the display message in your pic when you ran the SW2 switch test: MEM PRO1 FAILURE. The chart on the top of page 35 explains what conditions are causing it. Read note 1 too. You should now have most of the information you need to fix your problem. You'll get there.

#14 14 days ago

Ok, so I misread the beeps on boot up as SW1 test results. I am getting 1 beep at boot up.
    Ran SW2 test with coin door open and did not get a failure back.
    Going to replace U22 chip per SW1 test.
    Thank you for the guidance

#15 14 days ago

Post your results. You're doing great! Never played Earthshaker, but I hear it's a great game.

#16 14 days ago

Thanks again, will post once I get the rom.

1 week later
    #17 7 days ago

So I put in a new U22 chip, and I ran the SW1 test. It still beeps 3 times indicating a problem with the U22 chip.
    Not sure what to look for now?

#18 6 days ago

If it’s installed the correct way, it could be the socket. Perhaps reflow; replacement requires special board skills. I would try starting a new thread using the U22 chip issue and what you’ve learned so far. There are System 11B gurus here who would have deeper experience and advice on this.

#19 6 days ago

Thank you, the socket was my first thought. Does reflow just mean to heat up to fix any cracks or add new solder?

#20 6 days ago

Should have asked, did you try playing a game to check the sound?

#21 6 days ago

Yes, its still doing the samething.

#22 6 days ago

Unless you know what you’re doing, you could damage the fragile traces. Try searching the forum to get up to speed. Best way is to remove old solder first. Plenty of opinions. Depends on your skill level and confidence.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.50
    $ 14.95
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside