Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just want to share my experience with the Rotttendog MPU 92111 for the F14 Tomcat. Although my pin booted up with out errors with this board, I was missing sounds 0 thru 7. I tested and tried everything I could find in the online blogs, but I couldn't resolve the sound issue. The one thing I did finally do was swap the 6802/6808. U42 with the U10 processors. With these swapped, the machine failed to boot, indicating the processor originally in the U42 location was bad. This was a Motorola brand processor. The U10 was a Hitachi. I replaced the Motorola with a Hitachi processor and the sounds 0 thru 7 began functioning. I don't know if the Motorola was bad or if it just didn't work with the Rottendog board, but the Rottendog is now working for me. The original F14 board was roached. Between the battery acid and mouse urine, I had to replace it. I made the assumption that the chips were otherwise good. The displays did not work, but replacing the 4001 and 4005 chips it works fully. Thinking back, maybe I should have concluded early on that maybe this machine had taken a voltage surge that killed not only the displays, but also the processors. Some of the blogs indicate problems with the Rottendog product. I would recommend that salvaged chips are replaced first with known good ones, before blaming the board. Thank you for listening.

2 months later
#2 3 years ago

Thank you for posting your experience.

Out of curiosity, do you have any issues with distortion of sound/loud static associated with Rottendog boards in System 11 games?

2 months later
#3 3 years ago

I would think that most sound issues for the F-14 can be solved by this thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-sound#post-5782536

I changed out the resistors on my sound board and I think that it made a big difference with the MPU911.

#4 3 years ago

I don't know how rottendog does it but there is a 6802/6808 CPU brand select jumper that is different for Hitachi vs every other brand when an external complete oscillator is used (like sys 9/11). For hitachi the 2nd clock input pin floats. In Moto, ST, SGT, etc that pin is grounded. If its not set right the CPU may not run.

Original poster's issue could have been not related to that, but worth mentioning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-rottendog-replacement-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.