(Topic ID: 278286)

Williams System 11 NVRAM install help

By ElCid95

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a Pinbot game I recently bought that started to have a leaky battery so I got the bright idea to install NVRAM from PinTech. Luckily the corrosion was on the battery holder only and not on the MPU board. I removed the battery holder without too much problem, but when I removed the unsocketed RAM chip, I also removed the pads for pins 9, 10 and 16 and also their traces that go to U26 and U27. I was able to put in new pads with a kit from www.solder.net I also ran jumper wires so I could get pins 9 and 10 to talk to both U26 and U27 via a conductivity test. I also did a jumper wire for pin 16, but couldn't get it pass a conductivity test. I then put the socket and the 6116 NVRAM chip in. Then I got a U25 RAM FAILURE message and relooked at my work. I saw a couple of pins weren't fully soldered in, so I fixed that and I also ran a jumper wire on the bottom of the board from pin 16 over to pin 18 on either U26 or U27. I then got good conductivity with both ROM chips on their pin 18. After I reinstalled the MPU board, I turned on the game and got an ADJUSTMENT FAILURE and FACTORY SETTINGS message and the game will cycle through all of the AU and ID numbers and then back lights will flash and then it will go back to cycling through the AU and ID numbers. Turning off the game and powering it back on results in the cycling of the AU and ID numbers. I wonder if I need to run another jumper wire from pin 16 on U25 to the other ROM chip to fix the problem since the schematics indicate pin 16 on U25 is connected to both ROMs.

#2 3 years ago

sounds like you got a mess on your hands.

You definitely have a trace issue. What happens if you put the old RAM and battery back in? Possibly the nvram isn't getting the write signal line correctly (store contents to RAM) as it seems to have 'amneisa'.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

After I reinstalled the MPU board, I turned on the game and got an ADJUSTMENT FAILURE and FACTORY SETTINGS message and the game will cycle through all of the AU and ID numbers and then back lights will flash and then it will go back to cycling through the AU and ID numbers.

Swap the connector that you plugged into 1J13 with the one you plugged into 1J14. 1J13 should be the black wires and 1J14 should be the green, blue and white wires.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Swap the connector that you plugged into 1J13 with the one you plugged into 1J14. 1J13 should be the black wires and 1J14 should be the green, blue and white wires.

You beat me to it.

These are at the left bottom corner of the MPU board.

#5 3 years ago

It’s alive! Thanks DumbAss and PinballMania40!!!

#6 3 years ago

Congrats on your NVRAM install. Play ball!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-nvram-install-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.