DSC02286.JPG
DSC02285.JPG
DSC02284.JPG
DSC02283.JPG
DSC02282.JPG
DSC02281.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello All,

Running into a few issues with my Diner tonight. I just installed pinballbulbs no ghost LED thought the machine. I keep blowing a 5amp fuse which causes me to loose the left hand side G.I. and pop bumper lights. It doesn't happen right away. It only happens when either of the top out-holes kickers launch a ball out. Besides crossed or exposed wires is there anything else I should check for? The switches test fine in diagnostic mode and I don't see any GI wires touching the solenoids or anything. Is it possible that the circuit is drawing too much power causing the blow?

Also I'm running into an issue where a few of my LED flashers strobe slightly when ever I hit the flipper buttons. I read about removing the warming resistors but wanted to see if anyone had experience doing this on a Diner. Not really sure which ones to remove. Its only 2 customers and the '10x Scoring' arrow but still a bit annoying. I don't believe I have a warming circuit mounted under the playfield.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks !

#2 9 years ago

Do solenoids test fine? Do they cause the GI fuse to blow?

Does your A/C relay work properly?

I think the warming resistors are on the interconnect board - I'm not certain about what it will do on a Diner, though, so hopefully someone else will come along to help. I don't mess with LEDs very much.

#3 9 years ago

Everything tested fine. This problem seemed to develop over the course of a few test games. I just reassembled this game so its possible things moving around could of shifted something. I will note that the ball lock switch under the cash register wasn't registering a locked ball. The switch tested fine in diagnostic but the game wouldn't go through the ball lock sequence. Eventually the ball would eject out of the hole when the game went into ball search mode. Is it possible it could be a diode issue on the switch? I had to solder and desolder the switch a few times maybe I damaged the diode from heat? I think the relays are working fine but not certain. Is there a way to test them?

#4 9 years ago

My experiences with microswitches and leaf switches is that often the switch can just simply become flaky/intermittent. While you can remove the diode and test it, if it is marginal or leaky you can have intermittent switch interpretation. Best bet is to just replace it, since they are inexpensive and easy to replace. Eliminate it from the picture. Good idea to just stock up on switch diodes and have them on hand. Then test again. You'll want to go to switch edge test, and repeatedly use the ball to activate the switch, not your finger. That way you can be fairly certain that the ball will actuate the switch reliably, because your finger can actuate the switch travel further in many cases than what the ball will do. This is especially true for things like rollovers or kick-out holes.

The last switch I replaced like this was on my Taxi. I had a problem where sometimes I would not hear the launch sound effect from the shooter lane switch. Eventually I had the switch out of the game and operated it while checking it with a DMM. Maybe 1 of 5 times I depressed that switch and wouldn't get continuity unless I rocked it back and forth.

There can be other problems such as poor soldering/wiring to the other switch in the chain, but usually a single intermittent non-registering switch will be isolated locally to the switch or diode.

#5 9 years ago

Relays are in solenoid test. You'll hear an audible click.

Diode could be just barely hanging on, and when the ball thumps into it, it jars the diode loose. Try lightly pulling on both legs of the diode and see if it breaks free.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks everyone so far.

@ wayout440: Thanks for the advice. Makes sense to use a ball now that you mentioned it. I just doubled checked the diodes and they seem to be in working order ( both test .589 on meter). I will desolder the wires on both switches to make sure they are making good contact.

@nickrooster: I did run the solenoid test and I do remember an audible clicking noise when I got to that part in the diagnostic so I'm confident its OK. Diodes are soldered pretty well onto the switch. I couldn't pull them off.

I'm going to go over my soldered connections this afternoon. In the meantime I took some photos of the potential problem area on the playfield. I used pictures to reassemble so its possible I may have crossed something. Let me know if anything looks out of the ordinary. Since the G.I. is only blowing when the solenoid fires, I'm thinking that a wire maybe touching or soldered incorrectly to something on the solenoid chain. I also took pictures of the pop
bumper area. Anything look suspicious?

p.s. A side not I forget to mention was while playing a test game the left side G.I. went out twice, but came back on. I thought maybe it was an issue with switching over to LEDs, so I ignored it at first. Both times the lights did that the G.I. went dark but the pop bumper lights remained on faintly. The third time they went out it was kaput for the fuse.
DSC02281.JPGDSC02281.JPG
DSC02282.JPGDSC02282.JPG
DSC02283.JPGDSC02283.JPG
DSC02284.JPGDSC02284.JPG
DSC02285.JPGDSC02285.JPG
DSC02286.JPGDSC02286.JPG
DSC02287.JPGDSC02287.JPG
DSC02288.JPGDSC02288.JPG

#7 9 years ago

What happens if you remove some of the LEDs around the saucers? Does the fuse still blow? You could have a shorted lamp socket, possibly.

Is the GI supposed to blink when it goes into that saucer? Start removing lamps a few at a time until the fuse stops blowing. All you did was to add LEDs, correct?

Maybe one LED is getting too much current? Williams would sometimes use wedge lamps that were rated for different voltages... just a thought.

#8 9 years ago

I will check all the bulbs and their sockets. Its possible something could of fallen in while assembling, but things looked clear for the most part. Could I remove the lamps and test the socket with a multimeter to see what each sockets is receiving as far as voltage is concerned? If there a voltage range they should be around ? Its just odd that the problem only happens when a coil fires. They are on separate harnesses. Could there be a voltage spike somewhere on the interconnect board or something?

#9 9 years ago

Long shot but perhaps you have an issue with an LED causing the fuse to blow. I did a LED swap on a Pinbot and hit the power switch and blew a GI fuse. After lots of digging around and head scratching, I pulled all LEDs out and put in a new fuse and no problem. I then put 1 led in at a time and came across 1 bad LED that was shorted and was blowing the fuse. It was a bayonet base that was loose between the cap and base and was crossing the LEDs wire legs. Perhaps you have an LED with internally twisted legs that is touching only with the added vibration of the kickouts. Sometimes with the bayonet base LEDs there is a big solder blob at the base and while pushing and twisting in the bulb it breaks the glue between the led bulb and the base causing the wires inside to twist and short. Just an idea cause it happened to me. Good luck!

#10 9 years ago

Another idea is to try and isolate the issue. See if banging you fist on the playfield will give you the same results. If so you have something shorting due to vibration not from the solenoid shorting to GI or something like that.

#11 9 years ago

Gotpins - yes, a shorted LED was exactly the issue I was talking about above.

#12 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll check them out and report back. I went over the pictures I took today and nothing seems to be touching so I'm a bit confused at the moment. Here's a thought. If somehow the G.I. and solenoids were crossed or touching wouldn't that cause both both the G.I. and solenoid fuses to blow? One would think both would short out. Also I would think this would happen right after powering on the machine. Leaning more towards an LED issue like you guys have said. I'm running low on fuses though . If something pops again I'm out of luck. Any place local have 5amp 250v (sloblo?) fuses?

p.s. Just realized that the pop bumper LEDs are regular, not non-ghosting. Would this have anything to do with it? That would explain why the pop bumper LEDs remained dimly lit while the G.I. went out.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Here's a thought. If somehow the G.I. and solenoids were crossed or touching wouldn't that cause both both the G.I. and solenoid fuses to blow? One would think both would short out. Also I would think this would happen right after powering on the machine.

I would think that you would be very lucky if all that happened was the fuse blew, and if all you did to correct the problem was to replace the fuse and turn it back on again, the fuse would likely blow immediately.

#14 9 years ago

Whelp file this one under they dumby files. Found the culprit. Not sure how it happened but at some point a lock nut managed to find its way into the ONLY socket I did not put a G.I. bulb into. Burned it up pretty nicely too. I didn't even notice the socket when I was reassembling, but thought that area looked a bit dim . Thanks for everyone's help in diagnosing the problem. everything is 100% now. I'll order a new sock and iron out the flashers over the next few days but I consider this one fixed. Thanks again !
DSC02293.JPGDSC02293.JPG

#15 9 years ago

Day-um
Good find!

#16 9 years ago

Nice find! I had very similar symptoms with my WW not too long ago. Turned out to be a poorly installed lower PF GI socket. Wire frays were touching the ground.

#17 9 years ago

Ha. It happens!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-issue-diner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.