You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed.jpg
fronton lampes.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello,

I re-enter a topic to merge 2 questions I had inputted, for which no solution was found.

On my Jokerz!, the vertical ramp of 8 lamps indicating the jackpot amount on the backbox insert does not work (see picture). All lamps are dark while playing and in "all lamp test" mode.

I came to the conclusion that the strobe 8 of the lamp matrix has a malfunction. I connected a #555 bulb on a socket directly (with a diode between the lamp and the pin) between 1J7 - 9 (strobe 8 ) and every pin of 1j6 (rows), the bulb never went ´on'. Also measuring the voltage on 1J7-9 gives 0, where other pins on 1J7 show positive voltage.

I found no anomaly when checking Q52, Q51 with the DMM, setting "diode" and none with the continuity. I replaced Q52 anyway by a TIP42C, in case of, but no effect.

Then, I went upstream to the IC U52 (TTL 7408) and checked the inputs and outputs with a logic probe and DMM. This IC contains 4 "AND" gates (the one with pins 8,9,10 is the one which drives strobe 8 via the transistors).
On UC52, the 2 input signals for all gates are consistent (high for blanking, and pulse for the second input). The outputs are similar except the one that I am interested in, i.e pin 8 gives a result different from the output of the 3 other gates. With the DMM, it gives 0,72Vdc whereas the others show 0,32 Vdc.
For a complete comparison, I made the check on my Cyclone which has a similar set of lamps for strobe 8. The voltage check of U52 pin 8 on the Cyclone gives the same value as the other outputs, i.e. 0,32Vdc, hence not the same value as the U52 pin 8 on the Jokerz!

Finally, and I am back to the JokerZ!, the output lug of Q52 shows no voltage as the 7 other transistors commanding strobes 1 to 7 do.

Hope to be complete in my description, I am wondering how to find the part in default.

Your help is welcome, thank you

Thanks in advance

fronton lampes.JPGfronton lampes.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Check the resistor network that pulls the problem line.

#3 9 years ago

Which resistor are you refering to ? For my understanding in english: by resistor network, you mean the single component having 10 resistors, here SR17 ?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Which resistor are you refering to ? For my understanding in english: by resistor network, you mean the single component having 10 resistors, here SR17 ?

Correct. Measure resistance on the resistor connected to the lamp circuit that is not working.

The resistor networks can fail.

#5 9 years ago

sorry, I don't know how to measure a single resistance on a resistor network ?!

#6 9 years ago

unnamed.jpgunnamed.jpg

The wavy lines represent individual resistors inside the network.

#7 9 years ago

I measure 4.15 kohm for each resistance of sr17 and 2.2 for sr16. Strange for sr17, the spec says 4,7 kohms. But no inconsistency among values

#8 9 years ago

If you're comfortable soldering, I would suggest you swap Q51 with Q53 and see if the problem switches to strobe 7.

When you get your new logic probe you'll have more test options.

#9 9 years ago

Yes ... I can anyway replace Q51 by a new one and see what happens, now I guess there are not many options as the différences are noticeable between UC52 and the connector 1J7. I will not bother the helping members for weeks On the one hand, you learn a lot, on the other hand you spend time spinning around ... mix of pleasure and frustration. That is life. I will come back with the results

#10 9 years ago

Yeah, yoooohoooo! Ca marche !!
I replace the sand wore wound resistor and Q51 and it works perfect now.

Great time, many thanks for the support. Wine for dinner tonight !

#11 9 years ago

Glad you got it working jimy_speedt. And thanks to andrew for jumping in on this issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-insert-lights-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.