Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

862291A6-1D1E-4F7D-9D0C-77387E4D0843 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2832 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I bought a BK2K about 12 years ago. I played the game a few times with no issue and then wanted to do a restoration on the play field because it was shot. I finally got a Mirco play field and did a swap and reconnected all the wiring. However, I now have an issue with the Diagnostic LED. I read the manual, however the Diagnostic LED is not following a pattern with a certain number of blinks as indicated in the manual. It instead begins blinking as soon as the machine powers on and does not stop blinking at all. When pressing the start game button, the machine will throw up a "00" on the screen as if a game is going to begin, but it does not kick a ball over to the plunger or make any noise to indicate the game is about to begin. After maybe 10 seconds, the "00" disappears and the machine acts like no game had begun. Instead it just acts as if it is in attract mode.

The machine has been stored in a heated garage over the last 12 years. When I opened it up to install the play field, it still looked perfectly clean. I removed all wires from the boards and plugged them back in hopes it was a bad connection but to no avail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Keith

#2 5 years ago

I would check the 2 lower left 4 pin connectors on the cpu board. If these get reversed it will cause issues like this.

#3 5 years ago

I had taken dozens of photographs before taking the play field out and have matched where everything was plugged into. I took these two connectors off, inspected the pins and all looks good, no corrosion or bent pins or possible issues with the wiring. However, upon reconnecting the connectors, the same issue still exists.

-Keith

I have included a picture of the machines head.

IMG_2832 (resized).jpgIMG_2832 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

I ended up removing the cpu to find that the transistor ("Motorola 9410-0 R8912") located at position Q6 was bad. I then pulled the CPU from my Cyclone (also system 11B) and swapped out the ROM chips. When I placed the Cyclone CPU with BK2K ROMS in the machine, the same diagnostic LED blinked to no end as it did in the Bk2K original CPU. When I then removed the Cyclone CPU and inspected it, it had blown the exact same transistor located at Q6 on the CPU. I am beginning to think that the BK2K game play ROMs (U26 and/or U27) may be bad. Any help or knowledge regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Ksabatocat:

I ended up removing the cpu to find that the transistor ("Motorola 9410-0 R8912") located at position Q6 was bad. I then pulled the CPU from my Cyclone (also system 11B) and swapped out the ROM chips. When I placed the Cyclone CPU with BK2K ROMS in the machine, the same diagnostic LED blinked to no end as it did in the Bk2K original CPU. When I then removed the Cyclone CPU and inspected it, it had blown the exact same transistor located at Q6 on the CPU. I am beginning to think that the BK2K game play ROMs (U26 and/or U27) may be bad. Any help or knowledge regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

So you did a playfield swap, and then swapped MPU boards, and both blew Q6? It sounds like there is a short in your wiring harness somewhere that is tied to the output of Q6. I'd look there first before I suspected the ROMS were the issue. It is pretty easy when doing a playfield swap to get something mixed up that leads to a short to ground. Count the diagnostic blinks the MPU is outputting, and check the manual. The shorting out of Q6 may have taken out a PIA 6821 chip that is leading to a no-boot situation.

3 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

Thanks for all the help so far. It has been a long process of tracing the issue. I have gotten all the way back to the Auxiliary Power Driver Board. Finding that 5J11-9 is supposed to be outputting +25Vdc, but it is in fact putting out +41.5 Vdc. No components look to be bad on board. So I believed there may have been an issue with the incoming power. Upon testing the incoming voltage from the power supply transformer to the Auxiliary Power Driver Board. Those incoming wires go to 5J8-(1-4) and 5J8-(6-9).

My readings:
5J8-(1-2) (Schematics at +24Vac) - Actual Reading = +10.7Vac
5J8-(3-4) (Schematics at +24Vac) - Actual Reading = +17.6Vac
5J8-(6-7) (Schematics at +48Vac) - Actual Reading = +18.5Vac
5J8-(8-9) (Schematics at +24Vac) - Actual Reading = +31.7Vac

This lead me to believe that the power supply transformer may be messed up. So I took readings from the power supply as follows:

White (#1) (Schematics at +88.5Vac) - Actual Reading = +18.7Vac
White (#2) (Schematics at +88.5Vac) - Actual Reading = +45Vac
Grey (Schematics at +9.7Vac) - Actual Reading = +7.7Vac
Grey/White (Schematics at +9.7Vac) - Actual Reading = +13.46Vac
Grey/Green (Schematics at +9.7Vac) - Actual Reading = +20.85Vac
Blue/White (#1) (Schematics at +13.5Vac) - Actual Reading = +23Vac
Blue/White (#2) (Schematics at +13.5Vac) - Actual Reading = +14.07Vac
White/Red (#1) (Schematics at +26Vac) - Actual Reading = +33.2Vac
White/Red (#2) (Schematics at +26Vac) - Actual Reading = +13.7Vac
Black/Yellow (#1) (Schematics at +48Vac) - Actual Reading = +44.2Vac
Black/Yellow (#2) (Schematics at +48Vac) - Actual Reading = +3.6Vac

Do these actual readings look correct, because the disparity between actual reading and what the schematics say should be the reading are wildly disparaging.

#7 5 years ago

After figuring out how to properly test the power supply transformer these are my results.

862291A6-1D1E-4F7D-9D0C-77387E4D0843 (resized).jpeg862291A6-1D1E-4F7D-9D0C-77387E4D0843 (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago

StillI have 5J11-9 is supposed to be outputting +41.5Vdc, but it is in fact putting out +25Vdc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Oradell, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oklahoma City, OK
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-diagnostic-led-bk2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.