16285363363063930767783774109417 (resized).jpg
16285362172866257553663220271097 (resized).jpg
16285362051422927728307689242949 (resized).jpg
16285361837576033191095724298033 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
20180824_183331 (resized).jpg
20180824_180732 (resized).jpg
20180824_180507 (resized).jpg
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm trying to do the upgrade from the first post, but mine is different than the system 7-9:
4) Re-build the high voltage section of the power supply and reduced the voltage to 91V to preserve the displays. GPE has a complete kit of parts for a few bucks http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WAN-HVP-KIT Vid's instructions are for System 3-6 but the high voltage power supply in System 11 use the same parts. See Vid's instructions here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-957591
It may use the same parts, but the layout is different.

Yes, the layout is different but you should be able to figure it out using the System 11 schematics...

The F-14 manual has the schematics for the display HV section on page 60A. The 91V zener diodes go in ZR2 and ZR4, for example.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Yes, the layout is different but you should be able to figure it out using the System 11 schematics...
The F-14 manual has the schematics for the display HV section on page 60A. The 91V zener diodes go in ZR2 and ZR4, for example.

OK Right on, I'll start digging, thank you!

1 month later
#53 8 years ago

So I just got a Pinbot with all original everything...It's in really great shape, but I'm thinking I should start going through this thread and trying to make all of these updates/modifications to protect this gem. It's a bit overwhelming, though. Soldering is kind of fun, so it's not as much that...It's more all the little stuff that has to be done and keeping track of it all.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

So I just got a Pinbot with all original everything...It's in really great shape, but I'm thinking I should start going through this thread and trying to make all of these updates/modifications to protect this gem. It's a bit overwhelming, though. Soldering is kind of fun, so it's not as much that...It's more all the little stuff that has to be done and keeping track of it all.

just a few steps at a time man, go slow and check your work, you will sleep better at night knowing your game will continue to live well

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from highspeed:

I am in the process of ordering new cement resistors for my High Speed. Please correct me if I am wrong, but are the eight resistors on right side of this picture wrong. I believe they are supposed to be "0.4 ohm" not "4 ohm", as in the picture in the above post. Please advice so I can order the correct ones.
Thanks

Good eye and I replaced my cement resistors twice.

I learned a lesson on using a bad photocopy manual to order parts. I rebuilt all my boards with new bridges, pin headers, cement resistors, etc. The manual I used was a BAD photocopy and I ended up with the wrong value resistors. I put my pictured board in my WW and I had no lights. The photo copy had a lot of specs and blotched and I ordered the wrong resistor values and installed them.

I figured it out and learned to double check before ordering parts.
My Hakko 808 got a little more use this time and its still and easy job.

The cement resistors run hot so space them off the board a tad more for better cooling.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

According to 2 High Speed MPU's and the Whirlwind Manual and the High Speed Manual .. You are correct ? But Cal50 is wise and might know something we dont?

Nope, my mistake from using a crappy photo copied manual.

Big difference between 4 & .4 LOL!

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Bad idea.

I still believe sys11s don't require bulletproofing like sys 3-7. They are solid as is. If you have any doubt about your soldering skills, this is not the place to learn! These CPU boards are expensive and are drying up!

1 month later
#58 8 years ago

Haven't read through the whole thread yet. I've got a High Speed that randomly stopped booting. Checked fuses everything is okay and reseated connectors etc. No resolve. Not getting a read out on the display error. It's blank. It's possible the board isn't getting 5+ 12+ v

Something I'm reading...
To "go around" the POR section of the board, you can do a simple test. After attempting to boot the CPU board, ground the /RESET line on the CPU chip (pin 40 of U15) momentarily with a test clip. If the board boots up consistently without a problem (correct flashes or "0" in the LED), then the POR section is definately at fault.

How do you determine which pin is 40?

#59 8 years ago

Or It can possibly be a bridge rectifier. Let's check on that first.

#60 8 years ago

Well I might have answered my own question. Looks like the bridge on the power supply board went bad. The positive leg is not reading out. Everything else checked out okay. I will replace and see what happens.

#61 8 years ago

Looks like I don't have one with flat legs. Is there a suitable replacement? Current one is labeled MP 1510.

2 weeks later
#63 8 years ago

So , does anybody have a way to bullet proof the special solenoids section? This is the #1 failure that I see on system 11 games and have not seen any sort of aftermarket improvements to fix it.

All it takes is the mechanical switch to lock on for too long and bam there goes the coil, then the transistor, and then usually the buffer chip. Even after repairing this I have seen these go out again sometimes rather quickly if someone adjusts the slingshot or pop bumper switches too tight (to get the best action).

Maybe modified roms to change the control switches from direct control to the scoring switches in the switch matrix and let the CPU fire the coils like later system 11B and 11C games?
Or easier yet, some sort of aftermarket add on one-shot board that limits the timing of the 6 signals coming out of the MPU connector

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

So , does anybody have a way to bullet proof the special solenoids section? This is the #1 failure that I see on system 11 games and have not seen any sort of aftermarket improvements to fix it.
All it takes is the mechanical switch to lock on for too long and bam there goes the coil, then the transistor, and then usually the buffer chip. Even after repairing this I have seen these go out again sometimes rather quickly if someone adjusts the slingshot or pop bumper switches too tight (to get the best action).
Maybe modified roms to change the control switches from direct control to the scoring switches in the switch matrix and let the CPU fire the coils like later system 11B and 11C games?
Or easier yet, some sort of aftermarket add on one-shot board that limits the timing of the 6 signals coming out of the MPU connector

Isn´t it a way, to simply desolder the positive wire of the special solenoid and put an e.g. 1A fuse between with a fuse holder like this?

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/8/02/92/29216.jpg

#65 8 years ago

I just put this Auxilary driver http://www.pinballpcb.com/AuxDriver.htm in my whirlwind with a new power supply and it has been performing wonderful.

AuxDriverBoard-small.jpgAuxDriverBoard-small.jpg

#66 8 years ago

With all the work you guys doing in repairing these boards is it not better in some cases to just buy a new board as there readily available now so all parts are new?

2 years later
#67 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Anyone have a solution for this yet?

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Anyone have a solution for this yet?

I bought a one shot board from a pinsider in Belgium but never found the time to test it out. I think I gave it to a buddy of mine to try out in a game (F-14 maybe) I'll double check with him. But now that I think about it, it might be a problem in F-14 since the 2 diverters (which constantly burn up) need to be held on longer than half a second. Also I think I found out why so many F-14s burn up the diverter coils. Some games have those wired up to 25V and some have them wired to 50V. The ones with 50V are not running through a relay or a TIP36 transistor but rather through the small TIP122 in the special solenoid section and that is probably why they burn up so often.

In the meantime buy a gang of 6 fuse holders and simply patch that into the special coil outputs next to the MPU board and load it with 1 amp fuses.

#69 5 years ago

I've read that people have used this board inline with special solenoids on a system 11 board.

https://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

#70 5 years ago

Solenoid Saver Board is the simplest way to go.

#71 5 years ago

I have a solenoid saver board in all my system 11s (pinbot, f-14,space station)

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I've read that people have used this board inline with special solenoids on a system 11 board.

works great on pinbot

#73 5 years ago

Yup. Works good.

#74 5 years ago

Oh I love those boards, they're in all my system 6/7 games. I had no idea they would work in system 11.

So this and an Inkochnito board takes care of the fire problem(s) in System 11s?

#75 5 years ago

Might anyone know of a similar product to the solenoid saver board in Europe?
Thanks
-sf

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

works great on pinbot

It says system 3-7..But it works on Pin-Bot System 11 boards plug and play to?

If so I want to buy it too.

#77 5 years ago

Yes. The numbers for the special solenoids do not line up. I made a little table in Excel, printed it and laminated it and then stuck it in the cab to know which solenoids the fuses go to. Here is a link to the post with system 11's and solenoid saver:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-solenoid-saver-board-for-wms-3-7#post-3574129

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

It says system 3-7..But it works on Pin-Bot System 11 boards plug and play to?
If so I want to buy it too.

Yes, they work for system 11 but you have to be careful that you understand the wiring differences, as Chris outlines in his link above.

If I have time this weekend, I will post installed pics on Sorcerer (system 9), and system 11: Pinbot, High Speed, and F-14.

#79 5 years ago

Here are my Solenoid Saver diagrams for Pinbot, F-14 and Space Station.

Diagram2 (resized).pngDiagram2 (resized).pngSolenoid Diagram (resized).pngSolenoid Diagram (resized).png
#80 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Yes, they work for system 11 but you have to be careful that you understand the wiring differences, as Chris outlines in his link above.
If I have time this weekend, I will post installed pics on Sorcerer (system 9), and system 11: Pinbot, High Speed, and F-14.

That would be awesome.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I bought a one shot board from a pinsider in Belgium

It was from a pinsider from Holland

Quoted from kbliznick:

but never found the time to test it out

Too bad

That is a board I designed for the first range of Data East games like Time Machine. It is working perfectly in those but I never tried this board in Williams games.

There was a Spanish manufacturer Unidesa building system 11 games and they did something similar with the special solenoids.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

I would be very interested to see your set up in High Speed. I wasn't sure if this was compatible or necessary.

#83 5 years ago

My first system 11 install was on f14 tomcat. I didn't think there was enough room for that board next to the mpu so I used a z-connector and a longer harness to reach the sidewall. I also prefer to use larger wire for the flipper power wires.

20180824_180110 (resized).jpg20180824_180110 (resized).jpg
#84 5 years ago

I decided I didn't like the extra connector and longer harness, so for the rest of the system 11 installs I crammed the little board next to the mpu. Its tight, but it works. Here is a high speed (the mpu is currently on the bench)

20180824_180507 (resized).jpg20180824_180507 (resized).jpg
#85 5 years ago

Here is pinbot

20180824_180732 (resized).jpg20180824_180732 (resized).jpg
#86 5 years ago

Here is sorcerer (system 9)

20180824_183331 (resized).jpg20180824_183331 (resized).jpg
#87 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Here is pinbot
[quoted image]

Thanks gutz

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

It was from a pinsider from Holland

Too bad
That is a board I designed for the first range of Data East games like Time Machine. It is working perfectly in those but I never tried this board in Williams games.
There was a Spanish manufacturer Unidesa building system 11 games and they did something similar with the special solenoids.

Just found it this morning. I should install it into my Road Kings and see if it works.

#89 5 years ago

Special Solenoid Saver board duly ordered for my F-14. Small outlay to protect, especially as I'll be doing some work on the items it protects.
I'll take a look at the Inkochitno board also, thank you to the members for this tips.

-sf

#90 5 years ago

So, other than gutz's note above, I don't see much about this being needed on System 9 games. Worth it? Is it just plug and play for Sorcerer?

#91 5 years ago

I just sold a bunch of SSS so i figured I should look for a thread or youtube video =D.

I don't officially support system 11 games... yet? I think the connector is labeled different and there is mounting concerns as the board placement changes between games some. In a few cases like f-14 special solenoids are used for things besides pops and slings (diverters). Really would be most needed in games where the solenoid trigger is not CPU controlled (big guns and earlier???) but would add extra protection to all games. The premade wiring harness is only 6 inches in length. So it might not reach in all sys 11 games.

Besides all that they ~~~ Should ~~~ work in system 11 games.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I just sold a bunch of SSS so i figured I should look for a thread or youtube video =D.
I don't officially support system 11 games... yet?

I’ve put your SSS boards into all of my system 6/7 games - thank you for such a great product!

I for one would /really/ appreciate longer cables that are properly set up for system 9 and 11/A/B/C games.

#93 5 years ago

Fuses have been suggested for the F-14 diverters since they are triggered when the ball is launched. Short launches have burnt up coils! I put the solenoid saver into F-14 mostly for that reason. I used 1 Amp fuses instead of the 1.25 that are standard in the solenoid saver. (learned from GRUMPY

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Fuses have been suggested for the F-14 diverters since they are triggered when the ball is launched. Short launches have burnt up coils! I put the solenoid saver into F-14 mostly for that reason. I used 1 Amp fuses instead of the 1.25 that are standard in the solenoid saver. (learned from grumpy

Yeah might need to measure the current of a diverter or do some trial and error to get a good fuse value. Want it to be able to hold for a second or two as they engage when the switch closes on the launch ramp... but it burns up if it holds too long. I had one go in my f-14 and it killed two transistors and two TTL chips if I remember right.

A while back grumpy gave me a good idea to put the system 11 silk screen info on one side of the board and sys 3-7 on the other side of the board. The PCB is mirrored top and bottom layered and pretty much left to right too, so that should work. I will look into adding that on the next round of PCBs.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

A while back grumpy gave me a good idea to put the system 11 silk screen on one side of the board and sys 3-7 on the other side of the board. The PCB is mirrored top and bottom layered and pretty much left to right too, so that should work. I will look into adding that on the next round of PCBs.

Do you have a general sense of the timeline? Trying to figure if I should buy now or wait...

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

So, other than gutz's note above, I don't see much about this being needed on System 9 games. Worth it? Is it just plug and play for Sorcerer?

These are not required on any game, but they are damn good insurance against the special solenoids getting locked on and burning up your mpu or driver board (depending on the system). Unless you planted a mpu tree or money tree in the backyard, I suggest you protect your very hard to find working system 9 mpu with a $30 fuse board.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

These are not required on any game, but they are damn good insurance against the special solenoids getting locked on and burning up your mpu or driver board (depending on the system). Unless you planted a mpu tree or money tree in the backyard, I suggest you protect your very hard to find working system 9 mpu with a $30 fuse board.

Thanks for posting the pic. I wasn’t familiar with this board at all before reading this thread. What spot on the HS MPU do you plug it into? I installed the bridge rectifier fuse board (highly recommend), but I’m not sure if I need this one?

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Here is pinbot
[quoted image]

Quoted from Bellagio:

Thanks for posting the pic. I wasn’t familiar with this board at all before reading this thread. What spot on the HS MPU do you plug it into? I installed the bridge rectifier fuse board (highly recommend), but I’m not sure if I need this one?

HS pic is harder to see, but it's the same as the pinbot pic.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

HS pic is harder to see, but it's the same as the pinbot pic.

Gotcha, thanks!

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Thanks and agreed. Seems justified to me too. Just thought I'd double check on system 9 compatability since the website it silent on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-bullet-proofing-thread/page/2?hl=kciaccio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.