• Latest reply 1 year ago by Ckcoinop
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A28C67D4-E9B1-4CF7-8851-4447D67D0624 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I just bought a Black Knight 2000 and everything was working without any issues. A couple days later I turn on the machine and all the audio (music, sound effects, and voice) is screeching and distorted. The lower you turn the potentiometer the more it squeals. A lot of the squealing goes away when the potentiometer is turned up, but it's still heavily distorted. It's worth noting my machine has a Rottendog 9211 MPU which was giving me some minor audio issues which are apparently normal for rottendog boards and system 11 machines. I have tried everything other forums and posts have suggested:
- New sound board to MPU ribbon cable

- New 1458 op amps on sound board
- Audio board recapped
- All voltages are normal and stable
- New TDA 2003 amps
- All boards are tightly screwed to the back panel, no missing screws
-Verified all the roms on the sound board and the MPU
-Brand new FF speakers. These were installed before the audio screeching. I re-installed the originals to see if it was my speakers but the results were the same.

And nothing has made a slight difference. The audio is so bad its unplayable which is a bummer since this was a grail for me. If anyone can give me some leads on how to fix this please let me know!

5 months later
#2 2 years ago

Hi NEScollec

I do have the same exact problem on my Taxi.
Have you solved the issue ?

To bad there are not more replies on this topic.

Cheers

9 months later
#3 2 years ago

After some research I finally have most of my first gen mpu9211 boards fixed. Various post pointed to adding a 10k resister to the aux sound board for reducing unbearable sound volume. The board was basically unusable new out of the box. The newer gen boards have a 2nd sound pot added below c112 on the mpu. I tried adding 10k to c112 and it works great. I also tried lower values but this was the winner. As others have stated, the single sound pot seems irrelevant since no difference in adjustment. However some said it needs to be turned bunches. I hooked a small flathead bit in my drill and went to town. I finally made a difference. This allowed me to balance out the sound. You may be missing half of your sounds like me because of one volume way to loud and the other way low. After 2 Years I’m ready to put this baby to good use. Now on to finding out the display is out on another nib 9211.

A28C67D4-E9B1-4CF7-8851-4447D67D0624 (resized).jpegA28C67D4-E9B1-4CF7-8851-4447D67D0624 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#4 2 years ago

Any solution to this sound problem on your BK2K? my F14 is doing the same thing. Ckcoinop

#5 2 years ago

I found the problem, it was a pinched speaker wire under the back box. Just enough to short it to ground.

4 weeks later
#6 1 year ago

I completely forgot to update this post after figuring it out. The issue was a pinched speaker wire behind the MPU. I was able to help tsj9197 figure out they had the same exact issue.

For everyone else having this issue, check your wires!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-audio-distortion-screeching and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.