Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
page 32 Sorcerer (resized).png
20190523_152353 (resized).jpg
20190523_132634 (resized).jpg
20190523_154049 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago

OK the way I interpreting this there is no flipper relay on Sys9. The relay controls the path to ground for all special coils and the flippers. The transistor that drives the relay is Q86 2N4401 and it doesn't need anything but the pre-driver because the relay itself takes the place of the TIP122.

Test Q86 and also look at the solder joints on 1J19 and the relay itself
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#15 4 years ago

keep in mind the grounding test doesn't tell you the transistor is good. It only tells you the path to the coil is good. Test the 2N4401 in diode test can compare it to a known good working one

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks Cheddar, I tested the 2N4401 (Q86) in diode test and it measured .620 0hms like the others for the special solenoid section. Any idea why my left flippers don't fire when shorting the left flipper switch closed?

I think Andrew is on the right track.

Question. Do the flippers work when shorting Q86 and activating the relay?

1 week later
#31 4 years ago

so heat up failures are usually related to loose sockets. Turn the game on, play a few games then open the backbox. Try and twist the socketed chips or pull them out with your fingers. If you are manipulating a chip and the game locks you should replace that socket.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks Cheddar that must be it. I just turned her on and now had an error code#6. I tried twisting all of the sockets. There are 3 game rom sockets and 3 pia sockets. None of them changed the error code but when I turned the game off and on she went back to "0" and plays fine. I should have twisted them one at a time and tried the game in between each one. Do you think it's more likely the pia socket than the game chips? I'm out of sockets so if I find the nasty culprit I'll just solder in the chip right to the board.

It would be worth the wait to order more sockets

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys9-small-transformer-not-providing-enough-vac-to-flippers?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.