(Topic ID: 304659)

Williams Sys7 Tech

By polishedball

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I recently bought a LaserCue, not working blowing the solenoid fuse. I found a drop target coil to be low ohms and replaced it (also replaced the drive transistor.) The issues seemed resolved an had played a good two dozen games over a couple of days. However today powering on the machine and starting the game the drop targets went wildly crazy. The previous bad coil locked on and the controlled lighting lamps were all out. I assume this maybe the reason the machine failed in the first place.
I went to dig into it, pulled the connector to keep the coil from locking on, tested the fuses, in the process of powering up and down after a couple times the controlled lights were all back working and the game worked as normal.
When in the failed state, if you plunged a ball it would tilt as soon as the spinner was hit from plunging the ball. Also the MPU appears and act like it boots normally in any cases.
The PS has been recapped, NV ram installed on MPU, and other refreshing but I am still wondering if it could be a bad power supply. Came up to pull the documentation to find out what voltages it should have (been along time since I have had sys7), but then decided to make this post while on the computer. The 40pin connector looks replaced as well.

Thoughts?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from polishedball:

When in the failed state, if you plunged a ball it would tilt as soon as the spinner was hit from plunging the ball.

Switch matrix issue? What's the relationship between the tilt and spinner on the matrix?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Switch matrix issue? What's the relationship between the tilt and spinner on the matrix?

I figure I will look into that, but honestly it could be any switch hit causes a tilt. Didn't experiment enough when it was failed and it has remained OK since. The spinner is in the same row as playfield tilt.

#4 2 years ago

Turns out it is the 40 pin connector, it was in a failed state when I just went to play, pressing on the board connect 40pin brought it back to life and working. Will check for cold solder and replace. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys7-tech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.