Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PINTEC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I picked up a Stellar Wars that had dead bottom segments on the player 3 and 4 displays. Traced it back to a burned resistor on the master display board and replaced it. Worked fine for 10 minutes before the replacement resistor also burned to crisp. Not sure how to diagnose it further - any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I picked up a Stellar Wars that had dead bottom segments on the player 3 and 4 displays. Traced it back to a burned resistor on the master display board and replaced it. Worked fine for 10 minutes before the replacement resistor also burned to crisp. Not sure how to diagnose it further - any ideas?
Thanks!

Start by unplugging either player 3 or 4 display then try again. In the past when I've seen that happen it ends up being bad glass on one of the displays. Seen it on quite a few early Williams machines. Just picked up a Stellar Wars myself and it looks like I'll be dealing with the same issue on display 1 or 2. In my case could be the glass on the Master Display since that is affected too.

#3 1 year ago

Did you replace the resistors with 1/2W as recommended in pinwiki?

#4 1 year ago

Well stupid me I only had 1/4W. Ordered the right ones, but I think it still might be a bad glass since the previous resistor also blew. Are the glasses repairable when this happens? The displays themselves look perfect.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Well stupid me I only had 1/4W. Ordered the right ones, but I think it still might be a bad glass since the previous resistor also blew. Are the glasses repairable when this happens? The displays themselves look perfect.

Haven't found a way yet. For now isolate what display seems to be bad. Connect one then power one and check the resistors. It should be obvious if a display starts making that resistor too hot. Turn it off as soon as you can tell.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Thanks!

Suspect a faulty slave display drawing too much current.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys4-stellar-wars-burning-display-resistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.