Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Completist
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PF-Playfield-Pulled-Beside_Cabinet (resized).jpg

#1 12 days ago

When powering up my PF...I get a message about Diverter Ramp (it clicks 3 times) - "Ball Diverter - Solenoid 03A".

I would like to take the Right Ramp Diverter Mechanism apart to shop it out BUT I can't figure out how to get to it...as its behind the End-of-the-PF.

When the PF is raised, I can't get to the Right Ramp Diverter mech. When the PF is lowered, I can't get to the Diverter Ramp.

I'm assuming that I need to take some parts off the top of the PF to get to the Right Ramp Diverter Mech...any suggestions on how to proceed by those who have come before me? Thanks.

#2 12 days ago

The easiest option, for some definition of "easiest," is to pull the playfield.

That said, with a knowledgeable helper I was able to do this repair with the playfield half up.

Your problem is most likely that the microswitch, which detects the position of the diverter, has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

#3 12 days ago

Yes easiest way is to just pull the entire playfield out. You do not have to disconnect anything - there is enough slack in the playfield harness. Put a towel or something on the side of the cab then rest the playfield against it. The diverter is in a great spot to clean and service it then.

#4 10 days ago
Quoted from Completist:

Yes easiest way is to just pull the entire playfield out. You do not have to disconnect anything - there is enough slack in the playfield harness. Put a towel or something on the side of the cab then rest the playfield against it. The diverter is in a great spot to clean and service it then.

I have a similar issue as P1 gaining access to the top Underside PF on my WMS Jokerz. (Machine is new to me.) But I can’t seem to visualize your description of how and where you position the Playfield out of the cab. Can you please elaborate? Would there be a pic somewhere?

#5 8 days ago

Since I couldn't find anything solid on-line or on YouTube about this topic...I created a video and placed it on my YouTube Channel. I decided to create a simple Playfield Pivot Jig that I could easily put my PF on (while still in the confines of the Cabinet)...and then pivot the PF so I had about 12 inches of space at the back of the PF...giving me access to the Right Ramp Diverter. I then disassembled and fixed the issue with the Ramp Diverter. My YouTube video contains all of this info. Hopefully it will help someone out in the future who was "stuck" like me.

Below is the link to my video

Enjoy

Police Force Whirlwind

#6 8 days ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

I have a similar issue as P1 gaining access to the top Underside PF on my WMS Jokerz. (Machine is new to me.) But I can’t seem to visualize your description of how and where you position the Playfield out of the cab. Can you please elaborate? Would there be a pic somewhere?

I followed this link to help repair mine. There is a pic in there to show how to set the pf after pulling it out of the cab.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-diverter-diagnosis

#7 7 days ago
Quoted from Completist:

I followed this link to help repair mine.

Bingo!

#8 7 days ago

I attached the picture from that linked thread. I could not figure out how to lift the heavy PF out of the Cabinet and then place it on the ground beside the cabinet - by myself - without taking the risk of dropping / breaking something on the underside of the PF. I'm 56 years and not at my physical peak nowadays

When I would bend forward from the Coin Door area to grab the PF I could feel a strain in my lower back. When I reached across the Cabinet I didn't feel like I had the strength to lift the PF to clear the Cabinet...and then "gracefully" set it down on the ground.

If anyone can do OR has done a short video clip on how to properly remove a fully populated SYS11 PF from the Cabinet (by themselves) I would like to watch it and perhaps pickup a tip or two. Thanks.

PF-Playfield-Pulled-Beside_Cabinet (resized).jpg
#9 7 days ago

It is a pretty heavy populated PF for sure. It makes a world of difference if someone will help you lift it out of the game.

#10 7 days ago

I lifted that pf out alone. But it’s heavy.

Get someone to help. Have them stand on the other side and lift straight up and out.

Putting it back in is just as hard too. But that mech cannot be worked on with pf still in the cab.

I also remember having to pull it out and back in a few times to test. I can’t recall why testing outside the cab wasn’t adequate.

#11 7 days ago

These responses are immensely helpful. Many thanks to all! Now I see how it's done. The hardest part will be finding 2 guys to help me lift the PF out of the cab... and then get them to come back to put it back in. I can't lift yet, still healing. I also have a PF alignment issue which this procedure will enable me to repair. The PF pivot bolt on the left side of the cab is bent toward the backbox causing the PF to rest off center at the lockdown bar area. That will be a real challenge because the pivot hole in the cab wood is also damaged/distorted. I'm guessing the machine must have been mishandled in shipment at one point. Maybe a threaded insert? Assuming the stock bolt is a carriage bolt?

#12 7 days ago

I did mine without pulling the playfield all the way out by using a couch cushion on the front of the cabinet. There is enough slack to pull the entire playfield forward about 12"and rest it on the front, which then gives you enough room to work from the side.

Downside to this method is its still a heavy playfield and you need enough strength to get it off the posts it hinges on. I would only recommend this method if you cannot get a helper

#13 7 days ago
Quoted from boscokid:

couch cushion on the front of the cabinet

This can work and sounds like it works with Police Force. You gotta be real careful about snagging wires, mechs, light sockets or anything else on the cabinet pegs.

#14 7 days ago

Thanks for all of the input & advice on this Topic/Thread. For several weeks, I thought I was "alone" with this problem. I used to be a "regular" on rec.games.pinball (from 2000 thru 2010) but had distanced from pins over the last 10 years due to other "life" events. I was watching a YouTube video by a guy putting LEDs into his BLY RADICAL and he mentioned that "Pinside.com" was a good resource...next thing you know I'm here...and he was right!

#15 7 days ago
Quoted from PinballMoxie:

Thanks for all of the input & advice on this Topic/Thread. For several weeks, I thought I was "alone" with this problem. I used to be a "regular" on rec.games.pinball (from 2000 thru 2010) but had distanced from pins over the last 10 years due to other "life" events. I was watching a YouTube video by a guy putting LEDs into his BLY RADICAL and he mentioned that "Pinside.com" was a good resource...next thing you know I'm here...and he was right!

Sounds like John from John’s Arcade. I enjoy watching his content, particularly his restoration work. Because he shows most everything throughout the process, including the f-ups we are all capable of making. Which can help others avoid the same f-ups. And these are long videos which makes you appreciate just how much time goes into restorations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Machine - For Sale
New Kensington, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside