By xeneize

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Gang:

I have been bringing a Sorcerer back to life and gotten hung up.

When I started working on the game it was in pieces - literally scattered across several boxes and plastic tubs. It is now fully assembled again and I thought I was on the home stretch as I only had one pop bumper (L) and one sling (L) not working. Those switches NEVER register as closed, but that's another issue for another thread.

To give you some perspective, all caps were replaced on the power board, as were the fuse clips and fuses. NVRAM installed and no sign of battery damage. 95% of the connectors were repinned, I left a couple of IDCs as they were fully pass through and I hate squeezing 2 wires into a single connector. The MPU has always booted up error free with "0" on the LED cube. I did have to replace the High Score reset button on the coin door as it had no diode and a broken lug. The Advance button on the coin door periodically gets stuck, but works. I did add an illuminated start button complete with diode and had no issues since install.

The game had been correctly booting up and "playing" for over a week. Game is set to free play (Setting 23 is "00"). Switch test shows all switches open with balls absent. Trough switches show closed when balls present. All diodes in that area test good and are correctly oriented. I have also tried manually adding credits via the coin door switches and while I get the audio "credit tone" they never increment up.

Here's the weird thing...every once in a while the game "forgets" it is in free play. I will cycle through adjustments and see that it has flipped back to the default. "01". What would cause this reset in settings?

Ultimately, I took a huge step backwards as I can no longer even add a credit or start a game and have probably been staring at it too long now to be thinking clearly.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

#2 6 years ago

I'd try a factory reset and then see if things improve.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

In switch test mode, do the coin and credit buttons work?

If you pull 1J10 and 1J8 and short 1J10 pins 3, 4, 5, & 6 in turn to 1J8 pin 1 does it add coins or credits?

I don't see the start button anywhere in the schematics, is whatever connector it's using functional?

#4 6 years ago

I think I may have a similar problem with my Black Knight. Do your coils work in the coil test?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd try a factory reset and then see if things improve.

No change.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yes, all pulse correctly and to the correct assignment.

If you pull 1J10 and 1J8 and short 1J10 pins 3, 4, 5, & 6 in turn to 1J8 pin 1 does it add coins or credits?

No.

I don't see the start button anywhere in the schematics, is whatever connector it's using functional?

Yes.

Quoted from solarvalue:

I think I may have a similar problem with my Black Knight. Do your coils work in the coil test?

Yes.

Thanks to all 3 of you for the lightning fast replies!

#6 6 years ago

This may sound stupid, but it got me once when I rebuilt my sorcerer. Make sure 1J10 (switch row) isn't plugged into 1J9 (opto, Not used) The game will still "play" but I was chasing really strange switch issues until I discovered my mistake. Only made it once though haha.

#7 6 years ago

Quoted from xeneize:

Yes, all pulse correctly and to the correct assignment.

Something is amiss here. Testing your switch matrix on the board using jumpers did not work, but it does work when the playfield is plugged in?

Perhaps I gave you the wrong connector or pin numbers? http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing
It may help to determine if you have a board problem or a playfield problem. The pinwiki and your manual can help you find out.

Page 6 in the manual also mentions "no credits may be won (and coins are rejected) while the coin-lockout coil is de-energized".

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from gregh:

This may sound stupid, but it got me once when I rebuilt my sorcerer. Make sure 1J10 (switch row) isn't plugged into 1J9

gregh I have done dumber things! Connectors are in the correct places.

YeOldPinPlayer Let's make sure I actually did what you recommended. I removed both connectors and used an alligator clip to pulse the pins in question. Each time I got the "credit tone", but credits never incremented. Make sense?

You were correct in which connectors, you called out - I verified before even pulling them.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

yeoldpinplayer Let's make sure I actually did what you recommended. I removed both connectors and used an alligator clip to pulse the pins in question. Each time I got the "credit tone", but credits never incremented. Make sense?

Sounds right. I'm leaning towards a board problem but before you ping Quench GRUMPY cfh or barakandl you might try disconnecting every connector that goes to the playfield and lower cabinet, then using your jumper to add coins. If you still hear the credit sound but don't get credits (try adding several "coins" just in case the game thinks it needs ten to give a credit or something crazy) maybe take a look at U15 and if it's socketed, reseat it?
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#System_9_Switch_Matrix_Explained

#10 6 years ago

YeOldPinPlayer Yeah, really hoping I don't have a board issue now...as I was up and fully functional for a good week. I did consider the "how many coins does it need to create a credit" and made sure that it was "1" before going too far down the path.

What has me thinking it may indeed be the board is how it now seems to be "forgetting" settings...like being set to free play or rewarding extra balls in lieu of replays. It's just weird how NOW I would have a board problem.

I'll check U15 and report in.

#11 6 years ago

Turkey Day Bump!

#12 6 years ago

You said you were setting your game to free play with setting 23 to "0". Setting 18 is max credits, that should be set to "0" for free play. Setting 23 is for required coins for credit. Keep that at "01" and put setting 18 to "0".

#13 6 years ago

If it has the same ground strap as Gorgar make sure the ground strap is bolted down securely in the back box. Make sure the ground strap is well connected everywhere it is supposed to be.

#14 6 years ago

maestro Good take on the ground. I tried to pay special attention to this when reassembling the game. It seems to be solid.

Gnatty I don't know what to say. I changed settings to match your suggestions and it is back up and running again. I am a little confused as to how it played before, but am extremely grateful that you chimed in...I had checked wiring, transistors, resistors, etc. on the board and all seemed to be good. Admittedly, you did make me feel a bit like a dunce, but I'll take it granted that it appears to be the fix. Thanks, again!

If we get through the next few days without issues, I'll mark the topic as resolved.

#15 6 years ago

Yeah, with setting 23 set to 0, any credit switch engagement would do nothing and I'd assume setting 18 (max credits) was probably at factory default 30. Glad to help!

#16 6 years ago

Glad you got it running. I was working on a Gorgar and it would not star games even though everything else checked out. Saw the ground strap was not bolted down in the back box. Bolted it down and it worked straight away. Very strange the gremlins we find in these things.

#17 6 years ago

The confusing part to me is why didn't the factory reset change the coin settings back to default? LTG answer should have fixed it. It shouldn't be possible to do a factory reset without the coin settings going back to factory default.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys-9-will-not-add-credits-or-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.