(Topic ID: 233168)

Williams Sys 9 Reset voltage and Logic ???

By Tbirdmatt66SS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello.
Space shuttle.
I’ve got 4.90 volts running throughout the board. My reset voltage is only 3.63volts. I can’t figure out what is bringing it down. R170 specs at 4.7k ohms out of circuit, but when I measure resistance in circuit it reads way off. The same is happening around Q52. The 10k ohm r172 resister reads 10k out of circuit but reads 5k ish in circuit. I’ve been fighting with this board for some time now. I feel it is in the reset or logic that feeds into the reset. If I sever the trace before R173 (which feeds Q52 collector pin) I will get 2.6 volts back feeding down the 5v trace to the point I severed it. LED shows a faint 8 with the center segment slightly brighter. This is all on a bench set up using a pc power supply. Thanks for any help.

#2 5 years ago

Resistors will only measure properly when you pull them out of circuit. Are you using a logic probe to help troubleshoot the circuit? A DMM will only take you so far, when troubleshooting logic circuits.

#3 5 years ago

I do have a logic probe. Have very limited knowledge of using it.

#4 5 years ago

Are you sure that its the reset and not the Blanking? what does your blanking test point do with your logic probe connected at boot up? On the reset, i checked on my sys 11 test game, i had 4.8ish volts on the reset test point. What is your voltage on either side of ZR1? you should have 12v(ish, mine is 11.8) on the stripe side, 5v (i have 5.1 here)on the non stripe side. My 5v test point readings are 4.9V.

#5 5 years ago

I am not certain if it is reset or blanking. I am using the modified reset circuit from pinwiki that uses the MCP 120 reset generator chip in place of Q4 and the jumper. I’m starting to get a feel for Logic, but I am uncertain as to testing for it. I do have a logic probe. I get no boot up what so ever. My reset circuit voltage is only 3.63 volts. Something is pulling it down or bleeding it off to ground somewhere. That’s what I have been trying to locate. I feel it is somewhere around Q52 ( which is new) and several of the Logic chips in the neighborhood u41 , u42, u43(replaced) , u16, u33, 36, 37.
I’ve got 4.90 volts on the bench throughout the 5v circuit. The machine power supply puts out 5volts, but here is the mystery. When I connect it to the cpu board, the voltage drops to zero. Power supply has been rebuilt.

#6 5 years ago

Logic probe results. I compared my machine with my friends working Sorceror.
Mine is benched. His is turned on waiting for a credit to be assigned.
Reset. Clock (E)
PIAs Mine. His. Mine. His
U15. Low. High. High. High low
U14. Low. High. High. High low
U5. Low. High. High. High low
U13. High. High. High. High low
U4. No signal. High. High. High low
CPUs. IRQ.pin 4 VMA pin 5
U11 High. High. High low. High low. High. High. High. High low
U17. High. High. High low. High low. High low. High ow. High low. High low
Blanking
1J3 p12. Low. High
555 p 7. Low. High
555 p 3. Low. High

Note. All PIAs had been replaced prior to testing as well as 555 time chip and clock crystal. Not sure about cpu chips
U59p9. High. High

#7 5 years ago
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys-9-reset-voltage-and-logic-?hl=tbirdmatt66ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.