(Topic ID: 122659)

Williams Sys 9 Comet switch column failure

By DaveInSanFran

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Thank you for providing this awesome resource. I am brand new to the hobby, and dove in with 2 early 80's Williams games. Firepower and Comet. My electronics experience is limited, but I have a decent technical aptitude and know enough to get in trouble (and even enough to get out of trouble sometimes.)

Current problem: Comet center ramp lower switch(#50) is not responding.

I have checked the switch and confirmed continuity back to 1J8-8 and 1J10-8. All other switches in the row are working, but the only other switch in the column (playfield tilt #49) is also not responding.

According to Hawes in the System 9 Troubleshooting Guide, I should examine the 2N3904 at Q13 and possibly the 9R 10-pin 4.7K ohm SIP at SR8. The transistor is 50 cents, and I assume the resistor SIP won't break the bank either, but I'd like to understand how to test this circuit rather than just swapping parts.

(1) Does this strategy make sense? Is the SIP likely to be bad? Should I just swap out the transistor or both parts while I have the board out?

(2) Is there an easy or proper way to test these components inline?

Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

When I had an entire column down in my System 6 game there was a switch with a broken leg that was grounding the column and making it look like all the switches on that column were always on. Do a visual check on the whole line and check for any shorts as that could be a potential super quick fix.

Disconnect the switch connectors from the driver board to isolate the wires/switches from the transistors/ICs. Now you can use your meter to test the wiring harness to verify there is no short from ground to any row or column on the wiring harness. If that checks out okay then it's something on the driver board. Nice detail on how to diagnose this can be found here:
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing

As for testing transistors there's a nice guide here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

From that guide on a sys9 board switch area you should have 2N3904s:
NPN TO-92 package (2N3904, 2N4401, 2N5550, 2N5551, 2N6427, MPS-A13, MPS-A42, PN2222A)

Place the red lead of your DMM on the center leg of the transistor
Probe each of the flanking legs with the black lead
.4 to .6 volts is a normal reading
Readings outside of this range indicate a failed transistor

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the tip about shorts. I was fairly diligent in my testing of the switches and harness and found no shorts. I'm not seeing an always-on (short) condition, but rather that the switch never registers. I'm pretty certain it's a driver board problem.

The System 9 reference on pinwiki looks like an excellent resource! Off to read now...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys-9-comet-switch-column-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.