You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1904A515-B25B-4233-813B-0238774EBD78 (resized).jpeg
PCD5101P_Real.jpg
903EBAE9-4B12-4E7D-BB46-E69D55B09B82 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I have a Firepower 2 that was getting an error code 9. Door switch was good so I decided to replace IC19. I added a socket and put in a new chip.When pulling off the old IC, I managed to crack its grounding cap. I replace it with a 103 ceramic disk cap I had on hand. However, now I can’t exit Diagnostic Mode.

I’ve tried having the coin door open and power cycling twice. However when I advance through function 50 to get back to game over, the machine seems to reset and go back to Diagnostic Mode. The other strange thing is that if I advance to function 19, and it stays there momentarily, it hangs and won’t move off 19.

Continuity check shows the chip legs are contacting the pads.

I’m not sure what to do next. Any have any ideas?

EDIT: Right after this I decided to put back in the old IC19 and the game went back to its previous state. Still giving a error 9, but I could at least start a game. I’ve attached a picture of the old/new IC19. Is the new the correct part number? They seem very close.

903EBAE9-4B12-4E7D-BB46-E69D55B09B82 (resized).jpeg903EBAE9-4B12-4E7D-BB46-E69D55B09B82 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from JakeJones07:

I’ve attached a picture of the old/new IC19. Is the new the correct part number? They seem very close.

What makes you think they are the same IC? They have different part numbers. Looking up the data sheets the old one is a 256 word x 4 bit CMOS RAM and I can’t find a sheet for the new one.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

What makes you think they are the same IC? They have different part numbers. Looking up the data sheets the old one is a 256 word x 4 bit CMOS RAM and I can’t find a sheet for the new one.

Easy. Cause the random guy on ebay said they were the same (ebay.com link: itm)

In looking further, Marcos is selling the same part number (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5101).

I’m guessing i either got a bad part or zapped it when I was installing.

#4 3 years ago

The "new" Philips 5101 part you got is a Chinese remark. Date code of 2013, long after they went out of production.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The "new" Philips 5101 part you got is a Chinese remark. Date code of 2013, long after they went out of production.

Do you get that from the 13 in MSM13233?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from JakeJones07:

Do you get that from the 13 in MSM13233?

Yes.

Here's some original Philips 5101 chips - they're marked with white ink. Sorry for the dull picture - might replace it later when I can get a clearer shot.
The middle letter on the bottom row has been in lower case on all the genuine Philips parts I've seen.
Date code on the left chip is the 48th week of 1994
Date code on the right chip is the 42nd week of 1987

See if the bottom of yours look like the bottom of these:

PCD5101P_Real.jpgPCD5101P_Real.jpg

#7 3 years ago

Any particular reason you're going with the 5101/battery combo instead of a new nvram?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Any particular reason you're going with the 5101/battery combo instead of a new nvram?

Mainly was just being a cheap skate and ordering the cheapest solution :p however, looks like I’ll have pay for that decision!

Do you have any experience with this one?
https://nvram.weebly.com/

Also, my suspect chip does look similar to the real deal on the bottom.

1904A515-B25B-4233-813B-0238774EBD78 (resized).jpeg1904A515-B25B-4233-813B-0238774EBD78 (resized).jpeg
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from JakeJones07:

Do you have any experience with this one?
https://nvram.weebly.com/

You can’t go wrong with anything from barakandl , that’s his site. He’ll answer any questions you may have and his products are top notch.

#10 3 years ago

I agree! Top notch seller.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys-7-wont-exit-diagnostic-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.