Williams Convert Sys 11 to 11A or Swap

By Cheddar

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My project pinbot has a High Speed System 11 (no letter) board in it. I have been able to get the board to boot with Leon's Boot Rom and have tested it out through the PIAs and it seems to work as much as I can tell without putting it in the game. The pinbot ROMs boot but sound is not working.

I know system 11 MPUs are hard to come by. Should I mod this board to work in pinbot or trade it to someone looking for a 11 to get a 11A?

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

I would vote to get the proper 11A or a replacement if only to save a High Speed owner a board. There used to be replacement 11 boards, but seems like those aren't available anymore as far as I can tell.

#3 7 years ago

Rottendog makes an aftermarket 11A board: http://rottendog.us/MPU011A.html

I happen to have a particularly frustrating High Speed (missing some game sounds (not all) and credit/match display anomalies, so if you can name a good price for the System 11 MPU board, I might bite!

Yes, the only replacement System 11 MPU boards are pulls from trashed machines. There are a number of board techs on Pinside that may take on your board, mine was fixed to a point, but still has a few nagging issues.

#4 7 years ago

FWIW, for you System 11 (not 11A-C) owners out there like me, I actually SAW a 'leaked' Rottendog System 11 MPU board... It's in electrical troubleshooting stages now, so it's probably a year away, if at all, but there IS hope!

#5 7 years ago

I'm going to load HS roms in it and play test it then I'll get it listed. Since A,B and C repros are available but 'none' are not I'll get it back in circulation

Thanks for the advice.

sneakerpin I'll PM you about it first

#6 7 years ago

Thanks, Cheddar.

Good luck. I'm deep into my High Speed game schematics as I type this...

#7 7 years ago

Have you used the leon chip? Makes a huge difference

#8 7 years ago

No, I don't know what that is, but my guess is a test EPROM?

Maybe I need to borrow one!

My issues are tricky. I get certain game sounds, like the second honk of the horn, but not the first. the only speech is "OK buddy, pull over" etc. Weird. And the sounds worked 100% a week ago, before I plugged in some sweet new Pinscore displays... I'm going after the PSU now, checking for 5V and removing the 100V fuse as it's no longer needed.

My background music is fine.

I have a couple other anomalies that I can live with, but the sounds are literally killing me! No sound ruins this game.

#9 7 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Williams_System_11_Repair

It pulses the PIAs Low/High and you can track the signal from PIA to output (in some cases). Here's an example from this very board.

The pins on 1J8 would pulse Low/High except for pin 4.
1J8 is driven by the PIA U38 and U38 pins 2-17 moved as expected (1 connector has to be connected to ground to see them all move. details in link).
The Schematic shows the next in line as U40. U40-5 is the output for 1J8-4 and it was Low/High as expected.
SR15 is next and also pin 5. This was Low only. pins 2-4 & 7-10 moved as expected.

Pulled SR15 and U40. U40 tested bad in a chip tester (even though it was working, weird) so I replaced it. While it was out I noticed the trace under the chip (for pin 5) was broken (always test continuity before replacing). Repaired the trace and put in a socket, new 74HCT244 and SRC 4.7k and 1J8-4 moves like it's brother.

Finding this problem on the bench and not on the machine was a great experience for me.

Anyone with an EPROM burner should be able to burn you the test chip.

#10 7 years ago

Wow, looks interesting!

I might order a set or try and burn my own. I'll have to get a PC PSU somewhere.

I'm afraid of ruining my MPU board, though. All I have is a solder sucker and Weller 40 watt pencil.

IDK

Thanks for the cool info!

What is this "Chip Tester" you have?

#11 7 years ago

I bought one of these from Borygard at the last Pin-a-Go-Go
ebay.com link: Multi Function IC LED Optocoupler LM399 DIP CHIP TESTER Model Number Detector

I also bought an inquisitor set from him to test RAM and PIAs

Yeah I bought the Hakko desolder gun a little over a year ago after mucking up a couple of boards. Fix a couple of boards yourself and you've paid for it. You could get both here:
ebay.com link: Hakko FR 300 FR300 05 P Desoldering Gun FX888D 23BY Solder Station Bundle

#12 7 years ago

Wow,

Yeah, I'm killing myself looking at all this stuff. I haven't figured out what EPROM programmer to get yet to burn the test ROM.

That desoldering station is cool, but wow, I just don't know if I'm over my head.

My MPU board has a couple nagging oddities. Would be sweet if I could actually do this.

Anyway, let me know your MPU price when things resolve themselves. If it's 100%, then maybe I can learn to fix the one I have now without remorse...

#13 7 years ago

a lot of guys use the GQ-4X. I have an old Programmer II but since I have an old laptop with a parallel port it works for me.

A good soldering iron is paramount. If you want to do repairs you have to be good at removing components. I know a local guy who does great work with a solder sucker and I just have no talent for it.

#14 7 years ago

I have a local guy that also happens to have an original Williams System 11 test setup! He repaired my board but warned me that something else might go wrong once I get it in my machine, and, it did.

I think he's going to take another peek at it this week.

After this, I want to begin re-educating myself about repairing discrete board issues. I'm looking for a real project pin now, a SS for a couple hundred, that's messed up electronically. My High Speed is in pretty nice condition overall and I am afraid of killing it!

#15 7 years ago

Update: put the board in a high speed with high speed roms. Worked about 90%. Background sound was weird with known good board. Several segments out on displays and 1 solenoid did not fire.

I would be willing to trade for an 11A that needs work too.

#16 7 years ago

Isn't this fun!

I MIGHT be at the Chicago show, I'll look for boards.

#17 7 years ago

I can tell you that any system 11a or 11 MPU you find at expo is going to either be trash, or very expensive. They are like gold these days.

Quite honestly, you have a better chance of buying a non working one with no acid damage on eBay and repairing it.

I do have 2 or 3 of them that should really not be repaired, due to acid damage or massive amounts of missing components.

#18 7 years ago

Hopefully a replacement 11 board will come out sooner than later. What's the going rate for the new System 11A boards? ~$400? $400 System 11 boards would probably be a pretty hot item.

#19 7 years ago

Repro 11A boards are already out there... I think they are $440:

ebay.com link: Brand New MPU011A MPU Board for Williams Sys 11A 11B pinball machines

The 11nothing boards are pricey too.

The steep repro price makes refurbing a somewhat functioning board with no acid damage, much more affordable.

You may not like the price of a repro system 11nothing board... Expect it to be at least $400+shipping.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

My project pinbot has a High Speed System 11 (no letter) board in it. I have been able to get the board to boot with Leon's Boot Rom and have tested it out through the PIAs and it seems to work as much as I can tell without putting it in the game. The pinbot ROMs boot but sound is not working.
I know system 11 MPUs are hard to come by. Should I mod this board to work in pinbot or trade it to someone looking for a 11 to get a 11A?

Also, you do not have to mod a High Speed board to work in a Pinbot. It will work without changing anything (just swap ROMS). I have done it more than once.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Also, you do not have to mod a High Speed board to work in a Pinbot. It will work without changing anything (just swap ROMS). I have done it more than once.

I noticed some weird behavior with the 7 segment LED with pinbot roms loaded. is this normal?

#22 7 years ago

Yes, the Pinbot boards were changed to work with the 3 LEDs for diagnostics. It's just an artifact of the LEDs not existing. Once you get it 100% using the high speed roms, swap it over to Pinbot roms and it should work great.

#23 7 years ago

Hey snyper,

PM me if you want to sell off one of those trashed 11nothing boards, I need desoldering practice and I have a lot of free time in between work right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sys-11-to-11a-or-swap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.