Topic Stats

• 711 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by RyanClaytor
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6mm retro and new retro blended (resized).jpg
incandescent and 8mm warm clear (resized).jpg
lamps blown out (resized).jpg
IMG_0092 (resized).JPG
Okay+Jennifer+Lawrence.gif
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6848 (resized).jpg
IMG_6846 (resized).jpg
IMG_6851 (resized).jpg
IMG_6844 (resized).jpg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpg
IMG_6841 (resized).jpg
warmcool2frosted (resized).jpg
cool2frostedPassive (resized).jpg
IMG_6757 (resized).jpg

There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 3 years ago

Alright, another work sesh under my belt this evening. Here's how it went after re-reading everyone's suggestions several times over.

I started-out trying to tackle that same pesky lead and wire that gave me difficulty the last go-round. This time, however, I would...

Quoted from Pecos:

Carefully bend the lead...and slide it under the wire

The larger, more stable lead gave the flimsy wire a more stable base (in comparison to last time when I had the wire underneath and was trying to press the lead down on top...not the business). Thanks, also, to Nick for privately suggesting this!

I also...

Quoted from Pecos:

...Put a little flux on both the wire and the lead...

...using my trusty plastic fork, minus the middle tines (left hand points to wire, right hand points to plastic-fork flux applicator):

IMG_8525.jpg

After pre-tinning, fluxing, bending lead, aligning lead and wire, removing solenoid from PF to give myself additional room to move, and revising my Sistine Chapel stance , I believe I set myself up for success. Here's the result. Not beautiful, but I think it will work!

IMG_8535.jpg

Next, the second side of this lamp lead and corresponding wire.

IMG_8530.jpg

Same prepping procedure on this side. Here's the plastic-fork applicator and resulting flux (alternate methods for flux application are welcome):

IMG_8531.jpg

Finally, a dandy bead of solder on this side as well.

IMG_8533.jpg

Once both leads were soldered back into place, I reattached the coil:

IMG_8537.jpg

One thing that gave me pause was the gap in the pop-bumper switch stack. This is supposed to be open:

IMG_8541.jpg

...and then it closes for a split second when the coil fires. I'm guessing this gap should be larger? ...but I'm not sure. As usual, I'm leaning on you more experienced folks for some clarity.

Aside from the switch gap that is potentially too closed, I'm pretty certain this pop bumper is ready to be put to bed. So on went the cap:

IMG_8542.jpg

That felt pretty good.

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Honestly, I'm workin' like this:

[picture of playfield in maintenance position]

I don't want to sound like your mother, but I could never forgive myself if the playield slipped: If you are going to leave the playfield like that you want to put a C-clamp in front of the playfield on the wood piece inside the cabinet so that it won't slide toward the front of the machine. I can't tell from the picture - perhaps you have already done this? Or you can use sawhorses like Nick said. Do you have earthquakes in Michigan?

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

After pre-tinning, fluxing, bending lead, aligning lead and wire, removing solenoid from PF

Fluxing first should give you better results, if you are indeed fluxing after pre-tinning. Use only a small amount, just enough to cover the area. I use a cotton swap AKA Q-Tip, being careful not to leave any cotton threads in the flux. A small paint brush, if you have any of those, would be even better.
Just don't try to reuse it to paint with. On the other hand, I might be onto a new form of modern art here.

Your first "successful" solder job looks fine. You are well on the path to being a soldering pro.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

One thing that gave me pause was the gap in the pop-bumper switch stack. This is supposed to be open: [picture of pop bumper switches] ...and then it closes for a split second when the coil fires. I'm guessing this gap should be larger?

That switch with the big honking contacts is closed when the pinball pushes against the pop bumper skirt. I like to have my contacts close together, but not so close that it won't activate when another pop bumper is activated. Lightly pounding on the playfield with my fist next to the pop bumper is another test I use to tell if the switch is set too tight. Getting this set right makes a huge difference in how well the game plays.

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I like to have my contacts close together, but not so close that it won't activate when another pop bumper is activated. Lightly pounding on the playfield with my fist next to the pop bumper is another test I use to tell if the switch is set too tight. Getting this set right makes a huge difference in how well the game plays.

This is good advice, even for solid state games. Tangent: I set my modern Stern slingshots evil tight, and do the fist pound to make sure they won't fire from vibration.

But yeah, bumper responsiveness is super important on older games where they're often the main attraction.

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

alternate working methods[?]

Quoted from bingopodcast:

portable sawhorses

Quoted from Pecos:

I don't want to sound like your mother, but I could never forgive myself if the playfield slipped

Stopped at an estate sale today in search of sawhorses. Didn't find any, but they're now on my radar. I'm half wondering if I should just get/build a rotisserie, but in all likelihood it'll be a while before that happens so sawhorses seem like a logical and more immediate purchase. Thanks for the suggestions and concern, guys. ...but, hey, at least I stopped doing this with my playfield:

heldByFriction.jpg

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

After pre-tinning, fluxing, bending lead, aligning lead and wire, removing solenoid...

Quoted from Pecos:

Fluxing first should give you better results

I actually did that but wasn't completely accurate with my descriptive update. But thanks for the reminder! As you'll see in a moment, it worked wonders this evening.

Quoted from Pecos:

I like to have my contacts close together, but not so close that it won't activate when another pop bumper is activated. Lightly pounding on the playfield...

Quoted from yancy:

This is good advice, even for solid state games.

Great to hear! Thanks for the confirmation, Pecos and Yancy!

#355 3 years ago

This evening started with a bit of house-cleaning. My lovely wife had been teasing me all day that she'd purchased "something big" for me that would be arriving this afternoon. She wouldn't say what it was, but sure enough when I returned home tonight there was a gigantic Amazon box awaiting me:

photo-(4).jpg

Inside of which were two smaller boxes:

IMG_8558.jpg

Inside of which were two sturdy cases of parts bins!

IMG_8559.jpg

Despite being a clean-a-holic, my wife has been pretty great about putting up with my tinker-space in the unfinished portion of our basement. Just to give you an idea of what she's been dealing with, here's what it looked like up until about 3 hours ago:

photo-(5).jpg

I've gotta admit, when I got some objective distance from this project through the lens of my camera, I was a little ashamed and kinda felt bad for my wife. I'd turned this place into a freakin' sty. Her personality is not well suited to this type of mess, but like a dude, I can tune-out most things (mess, noise, severed heads) when I get focused on something. Nevertheless, she's been taking this like a champ.

But tonight I came to the realization that each night I've been coming down the basement to work, I kinda get focused on one tree or another and over the course of the past several months have lost sight of this increasingly unsightly forest. So, when my wife was kind enough to get me something I desperately needed, I had this spare table assembled and new organizational system set-up in about 10 minutes.

IMG_8560.jpg

...which is going to make working so much easier.

To top it off, my thoughtful wife (who still refuses to show any of you slobs her enchanting visage), hung-out with me this evening as I worked on another pop-bumper and helped label many of my new drawers!

IMG_8570.jpg

Here's some of the labeled goodness.

IMG_8584.jpg

Like many of you, she didn't understand how an "ignition file" had any business inside a pinball machine if it was meant for a car engine, and she thought that surely there must be an alternate name for "rubbers."

IMG_8585.jpg

Thanks for the much needed gift, Honey!

#356 3 years ago

As I mentioned above, during an organizational assist from my wife, I was busy attempting a reassembly of pop bumper #2. With everyone's helpful comments ringing in my ears,

"use some flux,"

"pre-tin the leads,"

"do that prior to sinking them into the playfield,"

"position your soldering iron thusly,"

"don't be such a patsy,"

I set out to do all of that. So here's the first step, fluxxin' that lead to the max:

IMG_8562.jpg

Dunking the lead into the vat proved to be easier than applying flux via the "devil fork" (term coined by my wife tonight as she filed it away in an organizational bin):

photo (6).JPG

I made sure to pre-tin the leads before mounting the pop bumper body to the playfield...

IMG_8573.jpg

...then down it went:

IMG_8575.jpg

Then I started soldering in beast mode, because before I knew it everything was right in the world: leads and wires were soldered, yokes were replaced, and coil mechs were screwed back into the bottom of the playfield. Here's proof (with one of the soldered leads being pointed at):

IMG_8579.jpg

...and the other lead also soldered to its appropriate wire:

IMG_8581.jpg

I gave each wire a few tugs to make sure the solder joints were secure. Each seemed to be quite solid.

So here's the whole darn thing reassembled:

IMG_8582.jpg

with a cherry on top:

IMG_8586.jpg

2 down, 5 to go (3 pops, 2 passives)!

Finally, I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's words of wisdom and encouragement. After my wife witnessed Tuesday's half-hour failed soldering debacle, I was able to feel like a man in front of her once again, as I successfully rebuilt a pop bumper in her presence and she truly did not give two shits.

Toodles...

#357 3 years ago

Please define "not an allen wrench fancy double headed screwdriver." And great job on the soldering and recollection of your man card. Patsy!

#358 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Please define "not an allen wrench fancy double headed screwdriver."

Ha-ha! I read this to my wife and we both got a good chuckle. During our organizational session, she picked-up this tool from my heap and said, "What is this, an Allen wrench?"

photo (7).JPG

I laughed a little and told her that was not an allen wrench.

She asked, "Well, what's an Allen wrench, then?"

I showed her one with a hexagonal head.

Then she responded, "So what's this thing?"

I told her, "I don't know, but it's part flat-head and part phillips. Not sure what to call that, though."

Now we all know what to call it.

#359 3 years ago

ANOTHER...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC POST:

As I've mentioned before...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I've had a really great experience documenting this restoration/re-theme thus far, I'm incredibly thankful for the University of Electro-Mechanical Education I'm receiving...

...and I just noticed that we're up to 30 faves(!??!).

fave.jpg

To celebrate, let's do another give-away. In case anyone forgot (or is new to the thread):

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm a comic book artist and I'd like to give away ANYTHING in my store to the first person who responds on this thread listing an interest in SOMETHING SPECIFIC. It could be a comic of mine, one of the Drop Target Zines I've contributed to, heck it could even be one of the several pinball T-shirts I've illustrated (provided I still have your size).

So...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Here's a link to my comics store page if you'd like to sift through some product descriptions:

http://www.elephanteater.com/comics

...and...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...here's a page with my Pinball T-shirt and Poster artwork (that I haven't had time to add to the previously mentioned store page):

http://www.elephanteater.com/10761

Also, Terry and I JUST released news of a new shirt (so, it's not on the pinball art page yet), but I recently illustrated Pinball Life's Expo Open House event shirt for the second year in a row:

pbl15.jpg

So, I have some of those too...for anyone secure enough to wear pink. In case you're skeptical, here's how glorious you, too, can look as you protect your son from goats:

goats.jpg

Good luck to the lucky winner, and thanks again for all the favorites, posts, and HELP on this first EM journey of mine.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#360 3 years ago

cool shirts hope to see you at expo.....explosion.....and dayhuffs

#361 3 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

cool shirts hope to see you at expo.....explosion.....and dayhuffs

What is at Dayhuff's?

#362 3 years ago

John and Ann Dayhuff,s 12 hours of pinball....it's a great time........70+ machines........potluck....pizza.....zen tournament..........and a bunch of awesome people

#363 3 years ago

by the way that party is not until november

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Ha-ha! I read this to my wife and we both got a good chuckle. During our organizational session, she picked-up this tool from my heap and said, "What is this, an Allen wrench?"
photo (7).JPG
I laughed a little and told her that was not an allen wrench.
She asked, "Well, what's an Allen wrench, then?"
I showed her one with a hexagonal head.
Then she responded, "So what's this thing?"
I told her, "I don't know, but it's part flat-head and part phillips. Not sure what to call that, though."
Now we all know what to call it.

I have to use one of those once in a while (generally not on pins). I like to refer to it as "The Abomination".

#365 3 years ago

I worked on another pop-bumper today and feel like I'm starting to get my stride with these things. Here it is with the coil mech removed (far more room to solder the lamp leads and wires together now! ):

IMG_8640.jpg

It may be difficult to see from the above image, but this is what the pre-tinned leads and wires looked like all lined up and ready to go (but not soldered into place):

Untitled-2.jpg

And here's what they look like soldered together:

IMG_8649.jpg

Wires were tugged and tested. All seem solid. I'm still amazed at how these leads and wires almost solder themselves into place with the flux and pre-tinning that was suggested. Again, many thanks for all the advice I was given. On one hand it's a little painful to look back at Tuesdays post, but at the same time it's reassuring to see the progress and comfort able to be achieved in a relatively short amount of time.

Anyhow, THREE!!!

IMG_8651.jpg

After putting together a few pop-bumpers now, I've realized a pattern: Despite being a lot more comfortable than I was a few short days ago, inevitably I still accomplish some task out of order, then have to go back, do the right thing, proceed with the rebuild, and do that another time or three before I have the pop-bumper rebuilt. This time I started making a list:

IMG_8653.jpg

Which, even to me, was quasi-indecipherable. So, here's what I ended-up with after additions, cross-outs, and re-orders:

1. Open Window
2. Clean Soldering Iron with Green Scotch Brite Pad
3. Plug in Soldering Iron
4. Flux Lamp Leads
5. Pre-Tin Lamp Leads
6. Unscrew Coil Bracket from Playfield
7. Unscrew Coil Plunger Guide/Stop from Coil Bracket
8. Clean Sleeve/Plunger/Coil with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
9. Replace Yoke
10. Reassemble Coil Mech (but do not attach to playfield)
11. Mount/Screw Bumper Body to Playfield
12. Pre-Tin Wire
13. Bend Leads Close to Playfield and Position Under Wires
14. Solder Lamp Leads and Wire Together
15. Mount/Screw Coil Mech to Playfield
16. Nylock Nut the Yoke into Place
17. Insert Bulb into Bumper Body
18. Attach Bumper Cap
19. Adjust Spoon Switch
20. Close Window

Another update...ALPHABETICALLY ORGANIZED!!!

IMG_8636.jpg

Woo-hoo!!!

IMG_8637.jpg

Ska-doosh!

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

by the way that party is not until november

I thought it was in November, you had me confused. I plan on going too.

#367 3 years ago

Thanks a bunch, Zerbam!

Quoted from zerbam:

hope to see you at expo.....explosion.....and dayhuffs

My family and I will be at all of the above. Please pull me aside and say hello! I'd love to chat.

Quoted from zerbam:

12 hours of pinball

Quoted from zerbam:

is not until november

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I plan on going too.

Same response as above! Seriously.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I have to use one of those once in a while (generally not on pins). I like to refer to it as "The Abomination".

*LOL* Apropos.

I feel like it's one of those cheapy tools that come with a set of build-it-yourself furniture that I'll never use again, but of course, I can't bring myself to throw it out.

golden-girls-o.gif

#368 3 years ago

seen you at patz back in april..........will track you down again

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I worked on another pop-bumper today and feel like I'm starting to get my stride with these things.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm still amazed at how these leads and wires almost solder themselves into place with the flux and pre-tinning that was suggested.

Quoted from Pecos:

Sit back and wait for applause. If that fails to occur, pat yourself on the back.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

1. Open Window
2. Clean Soldering Iron with Green Scotch Brite Pad
3. Plug in Soldering Iron
4. Flux Lamp Leads
5. Pre-Tin Lamp Leads
6. Unscrew Coil Bracket from Playfield
7. Unscrew Coil Plunger Guide/Stop from Coil Bracket
8. Clean Sleeve/Plunger/Coil with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
9. Replace Yoke
10. Reassemble Coil Mech (but do not attach to playfield)
11. Mount/Screw Bumper Body to Playfield
12. Pre-Tin Wire
13. Bend Leads Close to Playfield and Position Under Wires
14. Solder Lamp Leads and Wire Together
15. Mount/Screw Coil Mech to Playfield
16. Nylock Nut the Yoke into Place
17. Attach Bumper Cap
18. Adjust Spoon Switch
19. Close Window

Very nice list!

It seems simple, right? And then you write it all down and WOW - not so simple after all! My first MIS class professor would give you an A for your efforts. We had to write out the instructions for how a Coke machine works to accept money and vend the product. The best part of your list is that not only you benefit but all who follow benefits too.

#370 3 years ago

I am certainly a member of the "completely reassemble the pop and solder the lamp leads before you figure out you forgot to add in the little activator ring return spring" club. Nothing new going on here! Your techniques are improving young Padawan.

#371 3 years ago

"I WANT THE PRIZE" how about the pinball life explosion shirt for my grandson........he already has your shirts from PATZ and loves wearing them to school.........I will have to ask his mom for a size

#372 3 years ago

I must admit, when you first wrote that line,

Quoted from Pecos:

Sit back and wait for applause.

I wondered if I'd ever see the day. Ha-ha! Thanks for your helpful suggestions, Pecos, and your applause.

Quoted from Pecos:

Very nice list!
It seems simple, right? And then you write it all down and WOW - not so simple after all!

TOTALLY! I mean, all the parts are there and they basically go in their designated spots, but man, sometimes I surprise myself with the number of alternate (incorrect?) ways to approach a rebuild. *LOL*

Quoted from Pecos:

The best part of your list is that not only you benefit but all who follow benefits too.

That's one of my hopes for this thread, honestly. I mean, I'm not gonna lie; selfishly, I'd like to see this game up and running, and I'm completely benefitting from all the generously dealt knowledge here, but I'd also like this to serve as a resource for other folks entering the hobby who have ZERO electronic experience to prove that this is a rewarding and COMPLETELY approachable, albeit daunting, task.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I am certainly a member of the "completely reassemble the pop and solder the lamp leads before you figure out you forgot to add in the little activator ring return spring" club.

Maybe we need to start our own thread, Mk1Mod0.

Also, you mention a good point. I've got a pile of pre-assembled pop-bumper bodies, rod/ring, skirts, springs, etc all sitting in a box. (I simply used the old bodies as templates to reassemble the new ones all at once.) So, that's why that step is mysteriously absent from my list. BUT THAT BRINGS UP A FINE POINT FOR FUTURE NEWBS:

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

add in the little activator ring return spring

In other news:

Quoted from zerbam:

"I WANT THE PRIZE"

As the first person to:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...respond on this thread listing an interest in SOMETHING SPECIFIC...

YOU GET THE PRIZE!!!

Quoted from zerbam:

...how about the pinball life explosion shirt for my grandson.

Not sure how big your grandson is, but I BELIEVE the smallest size I have in that shirt is an Adult Medium. Feel free to shift this conversation over to PM (now that a winner has been publicly shamed...er, I mean...NAMED) and I'll get you taken care of.

Congrats, Zerbam!!!

#373 3 years ago

Ska-TWOsh!

photo 2.JPG

After a double-dose of pop-bumper reassembly, I've only got the 2 passives to go. After that, we'll see if I remember how to put the flipper mechs back together. (It's been a while.)

Not a lot of dramatics to report tonight. Although, there was one thing I was curious about. When testing one of the pops I reassembled this evening, I noticed that if I gave the skirt kind of an extreme push, the rod-thing (attached to the skirt) below the playfield would occasionally get hung-up on the spoon:

photo-1.jpg

Does that generally happen? Is this not a concern because the ball would be pushed away by the rod/ring before the ball had a chance to push the skirt that far? ...or is there some spoon adjustment needed?

Thanks, as usual.

The final pseudo-drama of the night was this little flesh-wound:

photo-(8).jpg

This actually happened a couple nights ago. I was doing what I do best (soldering) and trying to hold everything at once. When I reached for the spool of solder (at the time, held in the same hand as the soldering iron) I sort of slid the soldering iron along the back of my finger as I reached for the solder.

Picard.gif

It's healing now, but I forgot to report my brilliance the night it happened.

'Til next time.

#374 3 years ago

You're right - the spoon needs to be adjusted. It should not hang in any direction. You should also see the switch close when pushed in any direction.

#375 3 years ago

Man, this machine is looking better and better each time I log in. You're gonna have to let me play it sometime once it's done.

-Andy

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

the spoon needs to be adjusted.

So, should I bend the spoon switch AWAY from the rod? ...is that how I adjust it?

Quoted from OuterDork:

Man, this machine is looking better and better each time I log in.

Thanks, OD!

Quoted from OuterDork:

You're gonna have to let me play it sometime once it's done.

Absolutely! In fact, you're welcome to come over and play the rest of the fleet even before this is done.

#377 3 years ago

No, adjusting happens by loosening the screws that hold the switch bracket in place. You can then move the spoon forwards and backwards, then tighten the screws. You want the 'nipple' of the skirt to sit right in the center of the spoon. It's pretty easy to tell as it will get stuck on a particular angle if not. You have to tighten the screws to test, then simply use your finger and poke to the extremes of every angle around the circle. Ensure that the skirt properly self-centers between tests.

Do not adjust the spoon leaf - this falls into the category of 'don't adjust the long blade'.

Also, the tops of the spoons tend to gather a lot_ of crud. Some operators greased the spoons for faster operation, others just never cleaned unless they had to change the spoon.

It's a good idea to clean the tops of the spoons if you had not done so previously.

#378 3 years ago

Great info. Thanks, Nick!

#379 3 years ago

I was pretty excited when I saw this white package waiting on my doorstep this evening.

IMG_8681.JPG

I had a hunch it was a...

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

...complete '70s Williams ball shooter assembly with the metal shroud.

...from 10 states away. (THANKS, GIR!!! P.M. Sent.) Sure enough, with a bit of help, we discovered...

IMG_8686.JPG

...IT WAS!!!

IMG_8682.JPG

Although, someone was more enamored with the bubble packaging than the contents of the bubble packaging:

IMG_8688.JPG

With the melodious sounds of periodic popping in the background, I immediately started replacing that old...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...plastic shooter rod housing...

...but discovered something odd. Are the shooter rod assemblies supposed to have two of these metal bracket/plate/things on the inside of the cab or just one?

IMG_8691.JPG

I'm also curious about this...C-clip? (Or, shall we say, "CEE-sus clip"...nods to Mk1Mod0.)

IMG_8696.JPG

Am I just supposed to man-handle this off with a needle-nose pliers, or is there a civilized method to removing these things?

Regardless, my end goal was to combine my metal shooter rod with Gir's gifted metal-housing/shroud. But not before some quickie polishing of my plunger handle.

Before:

IMG_8699.JPG

After:

IMG_8700.JPG

#380 3 years ago

...and here's what it looks like installed:

IMG_8707.JPG

SOOO much better than that ole' plastic thing (IMHO). Plus the wife is happy, so that helps, too. More thanks and praise to Girloveswaffles! I'll think of you every time I plunge.

IMG_8710.JPG

=============

In addition to the shiny new shooter rod, I also did another thing tonight: reassembled the passive bumpers. I'll let you guess which ones are the new caps and which are old:

IMG_8714.JPG

Only had to adjust one of these switches.

Before:

IMG_8716.JPG

After:

IMG_8718.JPG

After installing 5 pop-bumpers in (relatively) quick succession, reassembling the passive bumpers was like going back to General Math after finishing a year of Honors Calculus.

Bing-bang-boom!

IMG_8719.JPG

For those interested, here's what those rubber-wrapped passive bumpers look like.

IMG_8720.JPG

And all the bumpers are back in place!!!

IMG_8724.JPG

#381 3 years ago

I've already let him know about the stuck switch in the upper right and about 51 bulbs to prevent cap burning, for those that may be thinking along those lines.

#382 3 years ago

Hey, I have those! Oh, wait. They go UNDER those caps, don't they.

stupid.gif

Woopsies. (I swear I screwed on every cap without inserting a single bulb.)

LIST EDITED!!! Ha-ha!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme/page/8#post-2709587

#383 3 years ago

Okay...

photo 2.JPG

...all better...

photo 1.JPG

#384 3 years ago

Better late then never It's always the little steps that get me on projects like this.

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...but discovered something odd. Are the shooter rod assemblies supposed to have two of these metal bracket/plate/things on the inside of the cab or just one?

Two housings.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Am I just supposed to man-handle this off with a needle-nose pliers, or is there a civilized method to removing these things?

Regardless, my end goal was to combine my metal shooter rod with Gir's gifted metal-housing/shroud. But not before some quickie polishing of my plunger handle.

Man-handle them with needle-nosed pliers. If too large after pulling it off, just bend it back when you re-install it.

You really should have invested in a tumbler/polisher. It would have made all of that silver shine brightly (not just the shooter assembly). You are doing such a nice job, it could have been easier, shined better, and not had the brush marks from your wire wheel.

Now that your playfield shines, take care of those nasty legs and leg bolts.

#386 3 years ago

I think I might have invest in a tumbler. It sounds like a time saver.

#387 3 years ago
Quoted from OuterDork:

Better late then never

Ha-ha! My Swinger project mantra.

Quoted from FrankJ:

Two housings.

Ah! Cool. Thanks for the confirmation.

...by any chance, does anyone know why there need to be two?

Quoted from FrankJ:

Man-handle them with needle-nosed pliers. If too large after pulling it off, just bend it back when you re-install it.

Great! That's how I got it done, but felt like I might be missing a way to finesse them into place. Sounds like maybe not. My other concern was that by using my needle-nose pliers, I was kind of getting some grooves (from the texture of the pliers) dug into that little C-clip. Again, one of those elements that only an owner would know, but does anyone have tips for prying that "Cee-sus" clip off without marring it?

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think I might have invest in a tumbler. It sounds like a time saver.

Quoted from FrankJ:

You really should have invested in a tumbler/polisher. It would have made all of that silver shine brightly (not just the shooter assembly). You are doing such a nice job, it could have been easier, shined better, and not had the brush marks from your wire wheel.

Completely agreed! Believe it or not, a week or so ago (after all the major polishing in this thread had taken place) I borrowed a tumbler from a local pinball buddy (who hasn't used it in years...so he wasn't upset about giving it up for a while). I was just so used to whipping out the wire-bit for the drill that I didn't think to use the tumbler on my shooter rod assembly.

On the bright side, this project has the added benefit(detriment?) of being done twice. Ha-ha! Once I get it back together, I'll be play-testing for a while to diagnose problems, understand gameplay, and make sure it is able to work 100%. Once I'm comfortable with all that and I have some artwork drawn-up for the retheme, I'll be stripping it all down (again) to sand down playfield and cabinet, re-art everything (backglass, plastics, playfield, cab, pop-bumpers, etc) and will be taking that opportunity to go through with a fine-tooth comb on a laundry list of house-keeping items I'm collecting. But, yes, you're a bunch of right. I need to just bite the bullet, whip out that tumbler I borrowed, and get familiar with it.

Thanks for the reminder and gentle nudge, FrankJ.

Quoted from FrankJ:

Now that your playfield shines, take care of those nasty legs and leg bolts.

More agreement. I'll likely snag some shiny new legs and bolts at the Pinball Life event in a couple weeks:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=274&pg=1

(...with artwork by some chump):

pbl15blackWhite.jpg

They have some clearance items available:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=357&pg=1

...one of which is "Williams/Bally WPC-era Chrome Leg Sets" for only $40. I believe those will fit on this 70's-era Williams game, and I'm not too picky about keeping original flat-sided legs on this thing.

Just for comparison, it looks like PBR has flat-sided (era-appropriate) legs for not a whole bunch more ($53.60 for 4):

http://pbresource.com/legs.html#legs

...but then there will be a boatload of shipping tacked on, and I'm gonna be at PBL for their shin-dig anyhow (no shipping costs). Plus, I feel like I'd have more than $40 worth of polishing ahead of me to make my existing legs not-as-pretty as new chrome legs.

*shrugs*

I'm happy to field alternate opinions, though. Again, I'm new, and trying to reason my way through this.

#388 3 years ago

Put the leg bolts on the tumbler for a day - like new. Use your wire wheel on them - they won't be quite as shiny, but they will clean up nicely.

Legs - don't look too bad. Steel wool them and see how they look. It they look alright - wax them and be done. If you had more to do I'd suggest the Evapo-Rust in 3" poly pipe method to clean up that rust. I think you'd be surprised at how nice you can get those looking. Brand new legs on a machine with patina like you have can look out of place.

#389 3 years ago

Here are the couple sets of flipper rebuild parts I got from Pinball Resource:

IMG_8731.JPG

Last night I focused on rebuilding the left flipper mech

IMG_8732.JPG

Here's the existing coil. It looks questionable to my untrained eye, but I've been advised to give this a whirl, so I'll go ahead and use it:

IMG_8733.JPG

It had a metal sleeve that needed a bit of convincing to come out:

IMG_8736.JPG

I figured the coil would need some cleaning:

IMG_8737.JPG

I didn't realize how right I was:

IMG_8738.JPG

The new nylon sleeve went in with relative ease:

IMG_8740.JPG

#390 3 years ago

The rebuild kit came with a new coil stop:

IMG_8741.JPG

...but the screws on the old one were stripped:

IMG_8742.JPG

So I used a pro-tip I received near the beginning of this project; use a rubber band on the tip of the screwdriver...

IMG_8743.JPG

...to increase the friction between the screwdriver tip and the screw:

IMG_8744.JPG

That worked out pretty dandy.

Next, I replaced the end of stroke (EOS) switch. Here's the old one...

IMG_8745.JPG

...paired next to the new one:

IMG_8747.JPG

(Was bakelite actually this color when it was first made decades ago? It looks so foriegn to the dark/orange/brown color I'm accustom to seeing.)

To make a long story less long, I got the new one soldered into place, being careful about soldering the correct wire to the correct switch side:

IMG_8748.JPG

#391 3 years ago

The new allen wrench screws were a lot easier to finger tighten into place (vs the tiny screws without screwheads on the original):

IMG_8749.JPG

Here's everything back in place:

IMG_8754.JPG

...only, when fully actuated, the EOS switch has not been broken:

IMG_8755.JPG

So I'm assuming this will need some adjustment, but before I go bending switches, I wanted to check here first to see if there's a way to make larger adjustments before breaking-out the ole' switch adjusting tool.

Here's the new (temporary) flipper I'm using:

IMG_8757.JPG

Yes, it clashes with the artwork, but (again) this will all be re-themed, so this will serve as a fine and functional flipper until I nail down actual re-theme colors and purchase appropriately colored flipper bats and rubbers. Despite color clashing, it's a good deal better than the existing:

IMG_8750.JPG

IMG_8752.JPG

#392 3 years ago

P.S. My activity on this thread will likely be sporadic/quasi-absent for the next couple/few weeks. I'm picking-up my mom from the airport today for a several day visit. Then shortly after she leaves, it's Pinball Expo time! Which reminds me, if anyone reading this thread will be in Chicago in Mid October, I'd love to meet in person. My family and I will be staying at the Westin Thursday-Saturday of Expo.

#393 3 years ago

I wish I could make a week out of Expo but I'm just going Saturday. I'm still excited because it will be my first Expo.

#394 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

So I'm assuming this will need some adjustment, but before I go bending switches, I wanted to check here first to see if there's a way to make larger adjustments before breaking-out the ole' switch adjusting tool.

Yeah. Don't bend that switch just yet. Check the coil stops and make sure the new one is the same size as the old one. If the new one inserts deeper into the coil sleeve it will limit the amount of travel of the flipper and stop short of the EOS switch.

I think the part of the flipper link that opens the EOS switch might have a rubber bushing around it normally which would close the gap some too.

Also you can try loosening the screws that hold the EOS switch to the playfield and see if you can twist the switch closer to the rest of the flipper mechanism.

#395 3 years ago

The pop bumpers look great. They are my least favorite to work on!

#396 3 years ago

Lot of crickets in here.

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Lot of crickets in here.

I know what you really missed were the animated gifs. Fine:

400.gif

Actually, this past week has been...surreal. If you're not interested in a non-pinball update, please skip to the next post.

Sunday evening, I was running around with my son in our house, something we do frequently during play-time before bed. On Sunday, however, I did not recover from our craziness as quickly as usual. We gave him a bath, got him ready for bed, and an hour later I still had a strange feeling in my chest. I felt sort of anxious/out-of-breath, like when you're standing in front of a crowd about ready to talk. I checked my pulse and it was irregular; sometimes with pauses, sometimes quick, not very consistent. Coincidentally, my mom was in town visiting (from out of state) during this time. My wife and mom both felt my pulse and felt the same thing I did. We called the hospital and talked to a doc-on-call who advised me to go to the E.R.

photo 1.JPG

Once in the Emergency Room, I was diagnosed with aortic-fibrillation (A-fib), which is a case where one of your heart valves sort of flutters instead of allowing a regular rhythm. This can cause blood to pool in one of your heart chambers, allowing blood to coagulate, in turn causing a stroke when that coagulated blood is released. I was whisked up to the cardiology floor of the hospital for further observation. There was talk of giving me defibrillation (shock treatment) to whip my heart back into order. Before that happened, they thought to try a double-dose of drugs (Drug A: Changes a-fib fluttering back to "Sinus" (normal) heart rhythm, while Drug B: slows down the heart in order to make that transition easier). Drugs worked. By Monday afternoon I was "converted" (back to regular "sinus" heart rhythm). We just got the news of conversion and were in the midst of writing celebratory text messages when my vision started getting starry and my hearing became muffled. I told my mom and wife, both at my bedside, what I was feeling and that I felt like I was about to pass out. I hit my nurse call button, which is the last thing I remember before blacking-out.

I've since been told that I was unconscious for about a minute, during which time my heart stopped beating. Twice. Once for 4 seconds, once for 9 seconds. The next thing I recall when waking up is a bunch of people over my bed. I didn't realize I had even passed out until one of the doctors asked if I had lost consciousness. I replied, "No," and both my mom and wife exclaimed, "YES!" It truly felt like I just closed my eyes for a moment.

The good news is that even during that loss of consciousness, I did not lapse back into A-Fib and have been in sinus ever since the conversation. The bad news is that I kinda died for a little bit. Anyhow, I'm writing you now, so I'm obviously alive and aside from that minute of black-out, I remember everything (as much has my hazy brain has in the past, anyway).

So, I stayed in the hospital a second night. After the scare on Monday afternoon, they transferred me up to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) where people could keep a closer eye on me in case something like that were to happen again. I slept (mostly) through the night (as much as I was able, with wires taped to every part of my body) and in the morning I was told that the night could not have gone better. My heartbeat was good, I did not lapse back into a-fib, my blood-pressure was fine, and I felt remarkably normal. Tuesday was basically a big day of waiting to be discharged from the hospital. We sat around and watched a bunch of HGTV, Cake Boss, and whatever that show is that features bitchy girls with too much money trying on wedding dresses. (If I could have found something that questioned my masculinity any further, I probably would have watched that too.)

Toward the end of my stay in ICU, I had an Electro-Pulminologist (a cardio doc who specializes in electrical heart stuff, rather than the plumbing of the heart) come in and suggest that I have a pace-maker put in. His fear was that I may lose consciousness again (due to a relapse into a-fib) and at worst, my heart may stop beating and not start again. I told him I was not interested in a pace-maker for a number of reasons:

1) It is extremely invasive surgery
2) Pace makers require multiple surgeries to replace batteries in the future
3) This is the first time something like this has happened to me and it is possible it will not happen again
4) I'm pretty young (36y.o.) and this was a huge fluke
5) No one has any answers for why this actually happened, or how I can avoid it in the future.

That last one was a huge factor. The doc thought my blackout flat-line may have occurred because of the a-fib. However, I think it may be a result of the drug they gave me that slows my heart working a little TOO well (my mom is notoriously affected by drugs and often needs a fraction of the dose to accomplish their intended result). We'll likely never know the real scenario (unless it happens again), but until then I'm not willing to risk invasive surgery on such little information. I mean, I basically answered, "No," to all their questions: I do not do drugs, I do not smoke, I do not drink, I am not overweight, I am not the traditional 60-80 year age range for A-Fib patients, I'm active, etc., etc., etc. If this happens again, I'll be having a different conversation with my wife, family, and doctors.

Anyhow, Wednesday I was at the university teaching a couple of classes, not 24 hours after being discharged from ICU. The following day I drove my mom an hour away to take her to tea before she flew home.

photo 2.JPG

I'm feeling surprisingly fine and I almost have to remind myself that I flat-lined a few days ago. Despite feeling pretty good, I am doing my best to take things at a moderated pace, even though I was told I can go about my normal activity, be it working-out, driving, flying, etc. I also picked-up a prescribed heart monitor...

photo 3.JPG

...that I'll wear for the coming month. This monitor remotely feeds info back to the hospital so they can see if there are any irregularities that I should be aware of. If I get a clean bill of health over the coming month, I stop using the monitor and resume life as it was before. If there are irregularities, we cross that bridge when we come to it.

alrughtyten.gif

Aside from a healthy dose of follow-up appointments and other inconveniences, I think that's it. Figured I'd let you know why this project hit a bit of a speed-bump. I'll also be taking my new monitor to Expo next weekend, so there's some out-of-town prep happening as well. I'm guessing you'll see more regular updates here resume in late October. In the meantime, I hope this finds you all well and flatline-free.

Sincerely,
Ryan

#398 3 years ago

Wow Ryan, that's some health scare! Glad to hear you are doing well now.

#399 3 years ago

Glad you are doing better as well. I've been lurking in the shadows of this thread mainly because I don't have much to contribute. Still relatively new to all of this. But reading posts like yours makes me really think about my health. I'm 34 and eat like a horse. Always have since as long as I can remember and it's starting to catch up with me. I've noticed, what I would deem, rather quick weight gain over the last year or so, so I guess things are starting to slow down a bit. I really need to work on portion control and eating more veggies, etc. But it's hard when you've been doing something one way your entire life. Need to find the right motivation I guess.

Now back to pinball.

#400 3 years ago

Glad to hear you are doing well - The guy recommending pacemaker is definitely just being cautious. Like lawyers, doctors sometimes want to go a bit far on the caution end of things, and must be reigned in.

Good luck with staying afib-free that's some scary stuff there!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 399.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 15.00
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside