Topic Stats

• 711 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by RyanClaytor
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6mm retro and new retro blended (resized).jpg
incandescent and 8mm warm clear (resized).jpg
lamps blown out (resized).jpg
IMG_0092 (resized).JPG
Okay+Jennifer+Lawrence.gif
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6848 (resized).jpg
IMG_6846 (resized).jpg
IMG_6851 (resized).jpg
IMG_6844 (resized).jpg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpg
IMG_6841 (resized).jpg
warmcool2frosted (resized).jpg
cool2frostedPassive (resized).jpg
IMG_6757 (resized).jpg

There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
#201 3 years ago

I haven't really contributed anything helpful just Favorited and followed the process but if that counts for anything I missed out on the Pinside posters and would love to have one to hang up.

#202 3 years ago

I love your Pinside official t-shirt and have yet to get around to ordering one. The thread is pretty awesome too!

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I haven't really contributed anything helpful just Favorited and followed the process but if that counts for anything I missed out on the Pinside posters and would love to have one to hang up.

Hi FuturePinhead,

The Pinside poster is ALL YOURS!!!

2890.gif

I just sent you a PM to find out where you'd like me to send it. We can work out details there.

Thanks for chiming-in here. It's nice to meet one of the quiet followers.

...and thanks to everyone for making this experience so enjoyable. It's been a lot of fun sharing the process and, as I mentioned, I'm learning A TON!

Sincerely,
Ryan

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks for all the suggestions, dmbJunky! (P.S. Are you a Dave Matthews Band fan?)

Why yes I am.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Do you put anything underneath the metal piece you're polishing so as not to damage your table? ...or do you just polish on an outcast table?

When I say I work in a cabinet shop, I mean that's my day job. I don't work much with metal there. But I mean I've sharpened my lawn mower blades with a grinder before so I imagine same kind of principle. You want your piece of metal held down onto something so you can use both hands to guide your drill. Find a 2x4 or cinder block or something heavy to anchor your piece to and you should be good to go.

Your drop-zines look interesting. I may hit you up for some closer to expo.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I love your Pinside official t-shirt...

Thanks for saying as much, Mk1Mod0!

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

The thread is pretty awesome too!

My new goal is to surpass the number of faves on your acrylic pinball thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane

Only 165 to go!

(For anyone interested in getting their socks blown off, take a peek at that thread.) ^^^

DMB was the first concert I ever attended (during his Under the Table and Dreaming tour). Many fond memories, and many DMB albums in my collection.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Find a 2x4 or cinder block or something heavy to anchor your piece to and you should be good to go.

Ha-ha! Duh... Of course. Why didn't I think of that?

(Thanks for reminding me about common sense.)

#206 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Your drop-zines look interesting.

I am a very small contributor to the Drop Target Zines:

http://droptargetzine.blogspot.com/

...a fantastically executed pinball zine. The lion's share of the content is produced by Alec Longstreth and Jon Chad, a couple of cartoonists I'm proud to call my friends. I've conducted interviews in the past couple issues:

- DTZ#7: Gerry Stellenberg
- DTZ#6: John Youssi

...and in DTZ#5 (my first contributing issue) they asked me to submit a Dream Machine (an illustrated pinball machine you WISH existed). I based mine on a comic book, "Groo the Wanderer," by my favorite cartoonist, Sergio Aragones (of Mad Magazine fame):

ClaytorGrooPinballColor2.jpg

The issue includes diagrammatic breakdowns of various Groo pinball mechs and an exhaustive ruleset.

Aside from these few contributions of mine, the zines are FILLED with great articles, illustrations, interviews, and comics all about pinball. It was my favorite pinball publication even before I had anything to do with it.

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

What exactly is a...

...?
Is this anything close?
31fojsriPUL.jpg
amazon.com link »

You missed it in my earlier post - PB Resourse part # ADJ. $4.56

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Sure enough! Thanks for the reminder.

---------------------

So, we're on our way out of town for an out-of-state wedding, but we barely started the morning before there was a fervent request to...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...clean peembah m'sheem!

Since the rubbers arrived last evening, we took those downstairs for a brief "cleaning" session:

photo.JPG

Not many rubbers were attached, but we can now mark this as another day of progress.

Have a great weekend, guys.

P.S.

I missed out on the Pinside posters and would love to have one to hang up.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I just sent you a PM to find out where you'd like me to send it. We can work out details there.

Just wanted to let you know I received your info and I'll ship your poster first thing next week, FuturePinhead.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

point-bending tool

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

What exactly is a point-bending tool?

Quoted from FrankJ:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks for the reminder.

conadj.jpg

Oh, a contact adjuster! I have one of those!!! Ha-ha!

(Didn't realize it went by another name.)

#210 3 years ago

Back from the wedding. It's late, but managed to undo some of my work once I arrived home. This:

photo 1.JPG

...turned into this:

photo 2.JPG

...before the night was over, as I was reminded that I forgot to wax my playfield before starting reassembly. (At least it was just the posts and a couple rubbers.

Anyhow, I waxed-up the ole' playfield, but I didn't see it getting hazy. This was my first playfield waxing experience, so I was told to:

1) Wipe wax on PF
2) Allow it to sit and become hazy
3) Wipe wax off

I took another look at the wax and it looked kinda grainy:

photo 3.JPG

I'm guessing this isn't a good thing. Not to mention, my canister of wax was a bit old (1.5 yrs since purchase date). All this to say, I'll be making a trip to the auto parts store soon.

In other news,

I missed out on the Pinside posters and would love to have one

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I just sent you a PM to find out where you'd like me to send it.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I received your info and I'll ship your poster first thing next week, FuturePinhead.

Packaged, addressed, and ready to go, FuturePinhead!

photo 4.JPG

#212 3 years ago

Yup. I removed those post before to clean them...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme/page/2#post-2594061

...and already screwed 'em back onto the PF (first pic from my last post). But I had to take them all off AGAIN (only took 10 minutes, I was just being a baby about it) in order to wax the PF appropriately.

#213 3 years ago

You're killing me. It is good craftsmanship but also counterproductive if you plan on painting or sanding that playfield. I have a feeling it is going to be tough to make the hard choice to remove the original art when you've spent so much effort making it better.

Maybe it's a bit selfish but I'm really chomping at the bit to see what you are going to do creatively and all this meticulous restoration is getting in the way.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from davideokills:

Maybe it's a bit selfish but I'm really chomping at the bit to see what you are going to do creatively

Agreed, I wonder what direction you are going with on the artwork.

#215 3 years ago

You're killing me. ... Maybe it's a bit selfish but I'm really chomping at the bit to see what you are going to do creatively and all this meticulous restoration is getting in the way.

Agreed, I wonder what direction you are going with on the artwork.

Ha-ha! Thanks for your interest in the project, guys. Believe me, no one is more anxious to get to the ART-ING than I am. However, as I did my best to warn potential readers back in the ancient days of page one...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm going to be honest, this thread is going to be tech-heavy at first. I want to make sure this machine can and will run 100% before I spend a bunch of time on aesthetics. So, my re-theme reveal may take a little while.

So, it will happen, I'm certain of it. I'm also certain it won't be a quick process. As we all do, I juggle a busy life and squeak this in when I should be sleeping.

I'll understand if you get weary of my tech updates. Occasionally I do, too:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme/page/2#post-2466304

...but I'm doin' my best to make incremental steps toward functionality each day and document that process along the way.

Sincerely,
Ryan

#216 3 years ago

I would like to do a retheme at some point but I am not a very artistic guy. At all. So I would have to copy someone else's artwork. I need to find a good enough candidate of a game first. I'm trying to talk my buddy into retheming his Roy Clark cocktail pin.

#217 3 years ago

Leave Roy Clark alone!
Everybody wants to retheme or repurpose poor Roy, THE ENTERTAINER of all people!!!

Seriously, I don't know how come I didn't know this guy before but he's pretty badass.

I do get why people would want to retheme him though... like Dolly Parton, a great country artist who got immortalized in unfortunate '70s attire...

#218 3 years ago

When I first seen that cocktail I didn't realize that was Roy Clark from Hee-Haw.

But back on topic, maybe you can give us a hint to your retheme. Is it going to be an original theme or taken from another property? My imagine with your background it would be something original but you never know.

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

back on topic, maybe you can give us a hint to your retheme. Is it going to be an original theme or taken from another property? My imagine with your background it would be something original but you never know.

I'd really like to announce it with some artwork. Which, again, is a ways out. Just tryin' to be up front and honest. Sorry to be such a tease.

----------------------

In the meantime, here's what happened tonight. Picked my son up from school and we took a trip to the auto parts store for some carnuba wax, this one to be precise:

IMG_7871.JPG

Which, thankfully, was not all grainy.

IMG_7849.JPG

So, we tried to follow the recommended procedure:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

1) Wipe wax on PF
2) Allow it to sit and become hazy
3) Wipe wax off

IMG_7851.JPG

...but when it didn't haze-up after a few minutes (5-ish?), our attention spans were spent:

IMG_7857.JPG

So I ended up wiping it up anyway. It was pretty shiny...

photo 2.JPG

...but streaky enough that I tried another coat. This time I let it sit for a bit longer (3 hours), through bath, bedtime, and then some bad television.

After all that, I came downstairs to some haze:

IMG_7865.JPG

...which clean-up remarkably well:

IMG_7868.JPG

...leaving a lustrous shine:

IMG_7867.JPG

I'm tempted to do another coat or two, but this will be plenty good enough for testing.

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm tempted to do another coat or two, but this will be plenty good enough for testing.

265.gif

See, davideokills, futurepinhead, and dmbjunky? I'm showing restraint!

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Picked my son up from school and we took a trip to the auto parts store for some carnuba wax, this one to be precise:

I've never used that particular product, but my hunch is the "cleaner" portion of that Cleaner Wax might be what's preventing it from hazing over and easily buffing to a shine. The last photo still looks a bit more greasy than shiny to me. Could just be the photo. You'll probably never go through that whole can, but if you do, I'd recommend something like Mothers "Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax" next time. Very similar packaging, but the wax is honey colored instead of pink.

#222 3 years ago

I'm kind of creeped out with the way that llama is looking at me but I do laugh a little harder each time I see it.

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Mothers "Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax" next time.

Not a bad suggestion! (Makes a calendar note for 2018.)

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm kind of creeped out with the way that llama is looking at me but I do laugh a little harder each time I see it.

730.gif

--------------------------

Tonight.

Start:

photo 1.JPG

Finish:

photo 2.JPG

I swear that after shot is a new picture and not just a repeat from two days ago. The silver-lining to re-screwing these posts in a couple times over is that I'm getting faster. All posts completed in less than 20 minutes. I imagine I'm not setting any landspeed records, but it was a healthy pace for me.

Small victories!

#224 3 years ago

Lookin good! Don't forget to plug your above-playfield bulbs in before putting rubbers on. It'll save you some minor frustration.

Now, you may still have to clean those sockets or repair or replace. But at least a bulb will be in there...

Actually, that's a fair point: if you have a socket cleaning stick, now's the time to swirl it around inside each of the exposed lamp holes. If not, well, we will just deal with that later.

#225 3 years ago

Hey Ryan, great thread!

"Cleaner" waxes typically contains additives (abrasives) and isn't the best choice for playfield waxing. Look for Pure Brazilian Carnuba. I doubt it will be a problem for you on this as you're going to get rid of the art anyway, but just an FYI for the future!

Keep up the good work.

#226 3 years ago

What's a socket cleaning stick? Is it like a battery post cleaner but smaller and not as stiff?

download.jpg

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What's a socket cleaning stick? Is it like a battery post cleaner but smaller and not as stiff?
download.jpg

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

It's # STI - a fine abrasive impregnated into a fairly hard rubber stick. Works great. I am not a fan of using anything with a brush on sockets. Always that chance of a single wire coming off & creating a difficult to find short.

#228 3 years ago

Lights.

IMG_7882.jpg

Installed.

IMG_7883.jpg

Ska-doosh.

IMG_7884.jpg

Dirty plastics.

IMG_7887.jpg

Novusized.

IMG_7888.jpg

Before/After.

IMG_7889.jpg

Cleaned.

IMG_7891.jpg

#229 3 years ago

Another.

IMG_7892.jpg

Cleaned.

IMG_7893.jpg

This many.

IMG_7898.jpg

Was taking glammy shots...

IMG_7901.jpg

...and realized I forgot to install rubbers.

shake.gif

Current state.

IMG_7902.jpg

First day back teaching.

Zzzzz...

#230 3 years ago

With those musical note plastics maybe there's a music based retheme. The more I look at this game the more I like it. Do you have to hit both rollover buttons to raise the center post? Same with the down post rollovers?

#231 3 years ago

Nope, just have to hit one. If the pops and slings are tuned, this game plays fast. Ball times can be short. The outlines are brutal. But, it's fairly easy to light all three ball saves. To score big, you want to light the pops and bang away. A good shot will light the center feature, but timing is everything. You want 5000, not 1000. Shots at the middle feature target always has the risk of rebounding to the outlane. Be ready to nudge.

Simple, EM fun. One game you own the machine, the next it laughs back at you.

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

With those musical note plastics maybe there's a music based retheme.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

The more I look at this game the more I like it.

Another Swinger enthusiast!

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do you have to hit both rollover buttons to raise the center post?

I honestly don't know (mine never worked and it's been a while since I played one), but...

Quoted from FrankJ:

Nope, just have to hit one.

...it sounds like we have our answer.

Also...

Quoted from FrankJ:

If the pops and slings are tuned, this game plays fast. Ball times can be short. The outlines are brutal. But, it's fairly easy to light all three ball saves. To score big, you want to light the pops and bang away. A good shot will light the center feature, but timing is everything. You want 5000, not 1000. Shots at the middle feature target always has the risk of rebounding to the outlane. Be ready to nudge.
Simple, EM fun. One game you own the machine, the next it laughs back at you.

...loved this review! It's got a few features that I enjoy (several ball savers, swinging target, etc.) but I haven't put a ton of time on this title.

#233 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I forgot to install rubbers.

So...rubbers:

IMG_7957.jpg

The one uncertainty I had was on the right-middle playfield. I tried a few different configurations. This one...

IMG_7955.jpg

...didn't seem correct because the rubber was TOUCHING the lamp in the middle of that white triangle.

This next attempt...

IMG_7956.jpg

...was not only very tight, but it also prevented the stand-up target (near the bottom) from closing its switch when hit.

So I settled on this...

IMG_7954.jpg

...which for some reason seemed odd to me, only going around two posts (and slightly interacting with that nail), but I'm guessing it's the intended configuration.

Here's the Swinger/Fun-Fest rubber list, if anyone cares to take a look and tell me otherwise:

Williams_1973_Fun_Fest_Rubberlist.jpg

Also cleaned the remainder of the plastics:

IMG_7959.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

And reassembled the lot of them:

IMG_7970.jpg

Gonna call it a night.

#234 3 years ago

There's a swinger on CL for $900. Seems a little high to me but I might keep my eye out for one. There's a great PAPA gameplay vid. It's amazing that center post don't wear out from how many times it raises and lowers. Where'd you get your rubbers from? (That sounded kinda weird.)

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's amazing that center post don't wear out from how many times it raises and lowers.

The center post will snap right off sometimes. I had that happen and it got lodged in the outhole. The mechanism to raise and release the center post works a lot like a drop target and it often needs cleaned and new sleeves installed like any other solenoid.

#236 3 years ago

The first or last rubber configurations look like the best options to me because of the switch issue. The drawing looks like it is suggesting the second configuration.

I would go with how you have it as long as the rubber doesn't have too much play in it making it possible for the ball to get stuck behind the rubber. Seems like you'll need to get a couple more post rubbers to make it work.

Did the people that provided the rubber kit supply the drawing? Maybe you can complain that it is wrong and have them send you a couple post rubbers.

#237 3 years ago

Okay. I had to go look at the play field pics on IPDB to get how the top works. Never seen rubbers go around a post and a bumper together. How strange.

Also, now would be a good time to check the gap of the switches behind the rubbers to make sure they aren't touching. (But could touch if hit by a moving ball.) This is one of the things that will cause a solenoid lock on upon power up. Usually of the 10 or 100 point relay.

#238 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

There's a swinger on CL for $900.

Yeesh! Sounds like a dream price. That really surprises me. ...especially since you're in the midwest, not California or some inflated market. I saw one around here only a few months ago (May 2015) at the Ann Arbor Pinball Showcase for $375 asking price. (Who knows what it sold for, or even IF it sold. ...number is right there if you'd like to check. It looks like you're only the next state down.)

407254.jpg

Quoted from dmbjunky:

There's a great PAPA gameplay vid.

REEeeally? That surprises me. I'll have to poke around for that.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Where'd you get your rubbers from?

Steve Young, Pinball Resource

Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's amazing that center post don't wear out from how many times it raises and lowers.

The center post will snap right off sometimes.

Didn't realize I was so lucky to have one that is intact.

The mechanism to raise and release the center post works a lot like a drop target and it often needs cleaned and new sleeves installed like any other solenoid.

Huh. Interesting. I guess I'll find that out once I put the top of this PF back together.

...rubber configurations...

I would go with how you have it as long as the rubber doesn't have too much play in it making it possible for the ball to get stuck behind the rubber.

Seems like this current configuration is tensioned appropriately and not obstructing anything. I guess I'll find out with gameplay whether or not the ball will get lodged underneath.

Did the people that provided the rubber kit supply the drawing?

Nope. Just got it off IPDB.

Maybe you can complain that it is wrong and have them send you a couple post rubbers.

I'm actually convinced they sent me exactly what I needed. Pretty darn happy with PBR. Yay for Steve.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Never seen rubbers go around a post and a bumper together. How strange.

OH! COMPLETELY! I was looking at that top configuration several times over, wondering if I was reading it correctly. Ultimately, I figured I'd deal with it once I got my pops back in.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Also, now would be a good time to check the gap of the switches behind the rubbers to make sure they aren't touching.

Right! Thank you. Seriously. This is the kind of reminder I need. Despite 5 pages of documentation, I'm still wet behind the ears with all this stuff.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

This is one of the things that will cause a solenoid lock on upon power up. Usually of the 10 or 100 point relay.

Filing in the ole' memory banks.

Thanks, guys!

#239 3 years ago

These are pics of funfest off of ipdb. The swinger playfield pics weren't as good.

image-2.jpg

You can clearly see the rubber around the post and bumper at the top of the playfield

image-1.jpg

If you zoom in you can see that rubber next to the target taking a sharp turn like it is around that third post like in your first pic. You could put an extra nail to provide space between the light bulb and the rubber if you need a little extra tension on that rubber. Otherwise I would say that rubber being around two posts will probably be alright.

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

If you zoom in you can see that rubber next to the target taking a sharp turn like it is around that third post like in your first pic.

Whoa! You're right! That's wild! Thanks for your super-sleuth work, DMBJ!

I'm really hesitant about pounding another nail into my playfield, which is what it would take to avoid that lamp. I guess it is also possible the ipdb shots aren't perfectly accurate. With the scant information available and differing opinions, even on this one thread, I'm guessing we'll never know for sure, although it certainly adds an interesting dimension to this puzzle.

For the moment, I think I'm gonna stick with my final configuration choice because of the aforementioned reasons, but on second inspection:

Williams_1973_Fun_Fest_Rubberlist.jpg

...despite the diagram's lack of clarity (hard to tell the difference between a rubber and the edge of a plastic), I believe it suggests the rubber only wraps around the two posts, not three.

#241 3 years ago

That was actually how I read the diagram. That the rubber only goes around two posts but the weird thing is it says a 3 3/8 rubber and the rubber above it that doesn't look like it takes up as much space is 2 7/8.

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Also, now would be a good time to check the gap of the switches behind the rubbers to make sure they aren't touching.

Off we go...

Right sling switches adjusted:

IMG_7984.jpg

Left sling switches adjusted:

IMG_7985.jpg

Mid-left rubber before:

IMG_7986.jpg

Mid-left rubber adjusted:

IMG_7988.jpg

Mid-right rubber before:

IMG_7990.jpg

Mid-right rubber adjusted:

IMG_7991.jpg

Upper-Left Stand-up adjusted:

IMG_7995.jpg

#243 3 years ago

Upper-Middle-Left Stand-up adjusted:

IMG_7997.jpg

Upper-Right rubber before:

IMG_7998.jpg

Upper-Right rubber adjusted:

IMG_7999.jpg

Upper-Middle-Right Stand-up before:

IMG_8002.jpg

Upper-Middle-Right Stand-up adjusted:

IMG_8006.jpg

This is my first time adjusting playfield switches, so I'm open to discussion on my success/failure.

#244 3 years ago

Looks dead on the money to me. One of the hardest for me to find was a switch that had good separation between the contacts but was touching right where it passes through the play field. Must have looked at it 10 times before figuring it out. It helps to start out with reasonably straight legs in the first place.
IMG_2813.JPG

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Looks dead on the money to me.

yeah.gif

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

One of the hardest for me to find was a switch that had good separation between the contacts but was touching right where it passes through the play field. ... It helps to start out with reasonably straight legs in the first place.

Ah-ha! Good tip!

Brief aside #1: That playfield is...SO cool!

Brief aside #2: Please tell me that is a ground-braid and not a crack in the plexi (running from middle-left to top-right corner).

#246 3 years ago

I'm at a bit of an impasse regarding reassembly of the pop bumpers, as I need to place a parts order for all those busted bodies. I also had a few questions about upcoming purchases for ole' Swingy. Thankfully, after a phone conversation with Nick Baldridge, I felt a lot better. I think I have a pretty good handle on what I need, and we even added a couple of items to my already exhaustive wunderlist (www.wunderlist.com):

Untitled-1.jpg

Because I'm on hold with the pops, I started polishing some disassembled metal parts. Tonight I prettied-up the ball arch separators (or whatever they're called). Mine were corroded and rank after spending lord-knows-how-long in a barn:

IMG_8066.jpg

Cheese-tastic:

IMG_8067.jpg

The top of the separating bar (above photo) was pretty gross, but the sides (the visible portions through the ball arches) weren't fabulous either:

IMG_8069.jpg

I took my new wire wheel and used it to sand-down the big, stubborn, stains:

IMG_8075.jpg

The end result wasn't bad, but pretty grainy:

IMG_8070.jpg

I hit it with some green scotch brite pads for as long as I could manage. I felt like it knocked down the larger grain considerably...or maybe that's just what I convinced myself of after my muscles began to atrophy:

IMG_8074.jpg

Does anyone have suggestions for a way to add power to a less coarse/higher grit sanding substrate? I have that wire wheel I can jam in my cordless drill, which works great, but is there something like a green scotch brite pad level of coarseness that could also be mounted into a cordless drill to speed up my progressive smoothing of the metal? Or perhaps some way to jerry-rig it so that I just wrap the green scotch brite pad around a cordless drill bit so it won't come off when it spins and sands? I've been trying to think of a way to do that, but my ideas don't seem like they would hold-up very well.

Open to suggestions.

Lastly, here are a couple of final shots:

#247 3 years ago

Final shot #1 (Tops):

photo-1.jpg

Final shot #2 (Sides):

photo-2.jpg

#248 3 years ago

Lookin' good! Metal refinishing is one of the more satisfying steps of pin restoration. Especially lockdown bar receivers, which usually look like the inside bottom of a dumpster. I know you can't see 'em when you play, but they bug me all the same.

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Lookin' good!

Thanks!

Quoted from yancy:

Metal refinishing is one of the more satisfying steps of pin restoration.

I can see why.

Quoted from yancy:

Especially lockdown bar receivers, which usually look like the inside bottom of a dumpster. I know you can't see 'em when you play, but they bug me all the same.

Oh my god, I've been looking forward to cleaning that little cesspool ever since I saw Doug polish-out one of his...it had to have been on one of his Trilogy Beer machines documentations. I just remember thinking, "THOSE THINGS COME OFF? ...AND YOU CAN CLEAN THEM???"

Then I mopped the drool off my keyboard.

#250 3 years ago

Here's a metal polishing thread. It's not very deep like a vid guide but vid does chip in a little.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishingbuffing-machine-for-metal-parts%E2%80%A6

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
£ 37.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 999.00
There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside