Topic Stats

• 711 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by RyanClaytor
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6mm retro and new retro blended (resized).jpg
incandescent and 8mm warm clear (resized).jpg
lamps blown out (resized).jpg
IMG_0092 (resized).JPG
Okay+Jennifer+Lawrence.gif
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6848 (resized).jpg
IMG_6846 (resized).jpg
IMG_6851 (resized).jpg
IMG_6844 (resized).jpg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpg
IMG_6841 (resized).jpg
warmcool2frosted (resized).jpg
cool2frostedPassive (resized).jpg
IMG_6757 (resized).jpg

There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
#651 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

If you can tear yourself long enough away from ogling your new toy, now is the perfect time to clean and gap ALL of the contacts on Swinger.

If you are careful, and you need to be both careful and thorough, when done you will have an EM that is 98% - 99% working.

A good cleaning of all contacts can be done in two or three evenings and well worth the time if you want that Swinger to Swing.

Very nice work, Ryan. It's the most fun I've had reading a restoration thread yet.

Like Pecos, Grand Finder Of The Pins, I am also in the "clean contacts" camp. Yes, it's totally OCD and takes a good bit of extra time. However, I sleep better at night knowing it is done. My process:

1. Remove switch stack from relay.

2. Clean relay ladder w/alcohol & qtips.

3. Test spring strength and check for residual magnetism by manually pushing relay ladder.

4. If weak and/or slightly magnetized, tighten spring by removing 3-4 loops.

5. Swab all switch blades and contacts with alcohol/qtip.

6. Polish contacts with Dremel 443 carbon steel brush.

7. Swab all contacts with alcohol/qtip again to remove residual dust after polishing.

8. Slightly bias long switches (the ones which go through the ladder) to tilt in the opposite direction of the solenoid. This should be a very slight adjustment which gives the ladder a tiny amount of additional lift (like strengthening the spring). It ensures each switch blade is resting against the same side of the ladder gap and thus provides the maximum amount of open/close gap travel possible. Totally unnecessary to do this... but as a micro-adjustment, it's there if you want to claim it.

9. Install switch stack, ensuring vertical alignment down the stack and that all switch blades rest dead-center in the ladder (no twisting).

10. Align switch blades so all contacts meet evenly in the center when actuated.

11. Tighten switch stack screws.

12. Gap each switch identically and ensure the wiping/self-cleaning motion is taking place at every contact (most important).

Obviously, if I owned more than a couple dozen machines, this would be totally impractical. But it is very satisfying to make everything work as well as it ever could without having to track down issues which might (?) arise later.

It's also good for revealing hard to find issues like damaged switch contacts (wiggling around making intermittent contact but otherwise looks normal from the sides).

image_(resized).jpeg

#652 3 years ago

Very nice. Perfection takes time.

#653 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Also it would be great to go to Comic-Con and visit you in your booth there (as you noted in your other thread) but that event is just too crazy to go to anymore for me. Soooo many people....

What kind of booth does Gir have at Comic-Con?

#654 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What kind of booth does Gir have at Comic-Con?

Gir's not the one with a booth, I am. Here's where you can find me next week:

http://www.elephanteater.com/11626

Here's my picto-wrap-up from 2015:

http://www.elephanteater.com/11042

...and another from 2014:

http://www.elephanteater.com/10193

This will be my 13th year exhibiting. Anyone here planning on attending?

Davideokills and Nico:

I am totally not shining you on. Just on vay-cay at my parents' place in Cally this month with REALLY show internets. Ha-ha! Only enough moments in the day for a shameless promotional plug such as this, but I promise a bona fide response come August.

Best,
Ryan

#655 3 years ago

Double-post. I blame you, parental internet. *sighs*

#656 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Double-post. I blame you, parental internet. *sighs*

Damn_(resized).jpg

"DAMN YOU INTERNET!"

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Gir's not the one with a booth, I am.

Oh Yeah. I knew that.

#658 3 years ago

Fast forward from my original comments here 10 months ago....and guess who just picked up a $100 Fun Fest.....

Quoted from ejacques:

Just read through the entire thread... I've learned one heck of a lot by doing it. Amazing results. Combine that with awesome documentation and I feel a heck of a lot more confident working on EM games now.
I'll echo the same sentiments as others....it's a shame that it's going to the belt sander given how great it's looking. The difference between how it looked before you started and how it looks now is amazing. Come on Pinside, somebody send him that beater Swinger playfield youve got hiding in a dusty warehouse as a thank you for this amazing thread!
Either way, this is great proof that with time and effort, games that look rough in the beginning can be saved and are a great way to learn how they work!
Keep up the awesome work!

1 week later
#659 3 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Fast forward from my original comments here 10 months ago....and guess who just picked up a $100 Fun Fest.....

Well it's now a $900 game:
Swinger_(resized).png
\
(spotted @ California Extreme)

#662 3 years ago

Found the ad: sfbay.craigslist.org link

Even includes this gem in the pictures ...

Manillow_(resized).jpg

#663 3 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Found the ad: sfbay.craigslist.org link
Even includes this gem in the pictures ...

This horrible photoshop job (slapped a backglass on a machine with a completely different cabinet paint-job) definitely had me chuckling. It encouraged me to take a look at the ad, and it did not disappoint with more awful photoshoppery (machine placed inside with a hard outside light source and a fake/incorrect shadow underneath):

ghostSwinger_(resized).jpg

Kinda makes me wonder if there's even a machine at all. *LOL*

#664 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

This horrible photoshop job (slapped a backglass on a machine with a completely different cabinet paint-job) definitely had me chuckling. It encouraged me to take a look at the ad, and it did not disappoint with more awful photoshoppery (machine placed inside with a hard outside light source and a fake/incorrect shadow underneath):

Kinda makes me wonder if there's even a machine at all. *LOL*

And I hope the picture of the envelope with the "Pinball Parts" written on it isn't the actual playfield. You can see the planking.

Edit:
I had to go back and look at the Manilow picture again, and then I realized that it's an Atari Space Rider.

#665 3 years ago

envelope with the "Pinball Parts"

I think you mean the one with the ITEMS of pinball. *LOL*

SwingerItems_(resized).jpg

#666 3 years ago

Ooops, my bad. He's playing a Time 2000.

Time_2000_(resized).jpg

#667 3 years ago

If that first image was real it'd be hanging next to my machine by now.

#668 3 years ago

Sweet! Instant profit! I'll cut everyone a deal at $600 then!

Well it's now a $900 game:

\
(spotted @ California Extreme)

#669 3 years ago

Well Ryan,
I'm upset and disappointed. I started reading this thread after I googled cabinet restoration process and immediately got caught up in page one. I read through the ENTIRE THREAD. Ive had to charge my phone twice today on the job. Luckily all I had to do was watch my operators and point to what they needed to do next, giving me ample time to immerse myself in your Williams EM restoration. I assumed since the thread was a year old the payout would be getting to see the retheme by the end.... Nope. I'm only kidding about being upset. Disappointed, yes. But that's ok... At least I haven't been following this for a year!
I am truly thankful that you went into such detail in your process of taking apart and putting back together. I purchased a 1968 Williams Cabaret about a week ago and have solved a few of the issues it has. Planning to do a full restoration (minus sanding down an original playfield to retheme it... ). This has given me the necessary fuel to start that task. I'm envious of your 2 player game, as mine has 18 total reels to take apart. I have been listening to Nick's podcast as time allows and appreciate his knowledge as well. All and all thank you for your time to do this and providing me with inspiration!

-Seth

#670 3 years ago

Ha-ha! Thanks, Seth. This was a pretty gratifying post to read. Really appreciate the feedback...and I'm guessing there are a few folks who can sympathize with your anger and disappointment ( ), but I promise the retheme will come...and BingoPodcast will be the first to break the news. Would write more, but my family and I are packing our bags to fly back home tomorrow.

All the best to you and good luck on your Cabaret restore! Please send me a link when you start your resto thread!!!

Sincerely,
Ryan

4 weeks later
#673 3 years ago

I Heard Ryan's moved on to shuffle bowlers and crazy EM contraptions. At this rate he's going to be the pinball equivalent of G. RR. Martin.

-The OuterDork

#674 3 years ago

Okay, fine. I was hoping to keep my guilt all pent up, but I'll go public with all the exciting excuses about why this particular project has slowed way down. Truly, it's all good stuff. Here goes:

1) As OuterDork mentioned:

Quoted from OuterDork:

I Heard Ryan's moved on to shuffle bowlers and crazy EM contraptions. At this rate he's going to be the pinball equivalent of G. RR. Martin.

...in true hoarder form, I purchased another couple of coin-op games a week or two ago. One of them (the 1977 United "Thunderbird" shuffle bowler) is a non-working project:

13814046_10209430840462941_8856995409245371667_n (resized).jpg13900311_10209430841022955_4063031844441354790_n (resized).jpg13938340_10209430840502942_4385835158076545648_n (resized).jpg13906779_10209430841262961_8789632609537436962_n (resized).jpgpins (resized).jpg

...that I'm very much looking forward to getting up and running. While I'm mentioning this project, I have to send HUGE thanks and praise to OuterDork, without whom, my shuffle bowler would likely still be sitting four hours away from me. Thanks to his Tetris skills and mastery of the minivan, he was able to jam this dusty gem into his rig and event help me get it down some inconvenient stairs upon our return.

I also brought home one of my coin-op grails that, honestly, I never thought I'd see in my home: A 1973 Williams Penny Pitch:

IMG_5458 (resized).jpgIMG_5459 (resized).jpglitPenny (resized).jpg

It's a fabulous, quick, 2-player game with lighted backglass animation. (I LOOOOVES ME some lighted animation.) Anyhow, here's a quick taste of gameplay that I shot a while back on the only other example I've seen in person (from Clay Harrell's collection):

The one I picked-up is even in working order! So that's already in the gameroom.

2) Was visiting parents and in-laws in California for over a month.

3) Prepping to teach this coming academic year.

4) Also launched the Michigan State University Comic Art and Graphic Novel Podcast yesterday:

msuComicsPodcastLogo300 (resized).jpg

So that's been taking up some time as well, but now you've got another podcast to add to your queue:

msucomics.libsyn.com

5) On top of all this, I've succumb to the "more is more" mentality when it comes to coin-op projects and I'm trying to make my way through some of them so my wife doesn't think I'm just a gigantic paper-weight collector.

Anyhow, this is far from an exhaustive list, but I do kinda feel like I owe this thread's followers an explanation. And, yes, it'll be a while before I'm able to devote the proper time to this re-theme. I promise I have not forgotten about it, unfortunately it's had to take a back burner position for a little while. I really do appreciate your interest, though. Here's hoping the eventual re-theme and artwork are worth the extended wait.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#675 3 years ago
Quoted from OuterDork:

-The OuterDork

1) I thought this was a great joke.
2) You bastard. I am totally jealous. (Of your new toys AND the room to have them. No basements in South Texas!)
3) Congratulations! I would love to have a bowler some day. That looks like a nice short one, too!

#676 3 years ago

I love EM, non-pinball, arcade games. They're just so unique.

I think you need to just admit you're keeping Swinger the way it is and are going to make an original game instead.

#677 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

You bastard. I am totally jealous. (Of your new toys AND the room to have them. No basements in South Texas!)

hi.gif

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Congratulations!

thankYou.gif

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:I would love to have a bowler some day. That looks like a nice short one, too!

YASSS! As we found out upon arrival, the lane was 8'4". I, too, would love a gigantic bowler, but I think this will be a great substitute...and still fit into my basement.

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I love EM, non-pinball, arcade games. They're just so unique.

SAME!!! *covet*

Quoted from dmbjunky:

[You]...are going to make an original game instead.

A sound prediction, considering the art re-theme alone is too much for me to handle.

#679 3 years ago

I saw you post that on Facebook, I knew the guy you got it from. Really small community

#680 3 years ago

Which purchase? The Penny Pitch or the shuffle bowler? Regardless, I only have great things to say about each transaction.

#681 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think you need to just admit you're keeping Swinger the way it is and are going to make an original game instead.

You know a guy that could help, Ryan...

#682 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Okay, fine. I was hoping to keep my guilt all pent up, but I'll go public with all the exciting excuses about why this particular project has slowed way down.

Hehehe, sorry for outing you. I'm just as excited as the rest of this crew for the big reveal, despite enabling at least one of your delays.

That roadtrip was a pleasure, let me know when it's time to pick up your next oversized project .

-The OuterDork

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Which purchase? The Penny Pitch or the shuffle bowler? Regardless, I only have great things to say about each transaction.

The bowler. I almost ended up with it myself, I just have no room right now...

#684 3 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

The bowler. I almost ended up with it myself, I just have no room right now...

You're not gonna believe this, but the guy I bought the Penny Pitch from said he almost snagged it, too! *phew*

#685 3 years ago

I've seen more Ringers than Penny Pitch games in the last few years. I wonder if Penny Pitch is rarer?
Here's the Ringer at the Pacific Pinball Museum back in July:

Ringer (resized).jpg

#686 3 years ago

I haven't seen any production numbers recorded, but from everything I've heard from the community (and seen with my own eyes) Penny Pitch is the much rarer version. Which would make sense, as it was essentially a recycled game. It's Ringer in every way except for backglass art. I can't imagine a re-released game from just 3 years prior would have a higher production run. Probably not even enough time for those Ringers on route to be busted to the point of replacement. Not a lot of moving parts on this one.

#687 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I haven't seen any production numbers recorded, but from everything I've heard from the community (and seen with my own eyes) Penny Pitch is the much rarer version. Which would make sense, as it was essentially a recycled game. It's Ringer in every way except for backglass art. I can't imagine a re-released game from just 3 years prior would have a higher production run. Probably not even enough time for those Ringers on route to be busted to the point of replacement. Not a lot of moving parts on this one.

Just looked up Ringer on KLOV, but there's not much info. Penny Pitch doesn't even have a photo in the listing. Oddly enough there is an eBay link for an original flyer for Ringer, but it has a different colour scheme on the flyer:
ebay.com link

#688 3 years ago

Oddly enough there is an eBay link for an original flyer for Ringer, but it has a different colour scheme on the flyer:

THAT...is really interesting. I've never seen that color palette before. Reposting here in case it disappears.

s-l1600 (resized).jpg

#689 3 years ago

I actually prefer the color scheme in the flyer, but I can see why the production ones I've seen are the color they are: Darker colors for the bars and night clubs they were intended to be placed in.

Edit: Then I found this ...
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/darts.htm

#690 3 years ago

Is tossing pennies a game people or kids use to play? I have never heard of that one.

#691 3 years ago

I actually prefer the color scheme in the flyer, but I can see why the production ones I've seen are the color they are: Darker colors for the bars and night clubs they were intended to be placed in.
Edit: Then I found this ...
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/darts.htm

I kinda like that bright yellow base, too! If I ever get around to a cab repaint (Ha-ha!) I might consider the flyer color scheme. Although, the sparks of the darts can might be a little less horseshoe-specific. *shrugs * I'm just psyched to have this thing in my basement.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is tossing pennies a game people or kids use to play?

Evidently!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitching_pennies

Never thought to look that up before your question. Sounds like the rules were originally a little different and more involved than this electro-mechanical representation.

Also, get a load of this:

"While the coins used have inevitably changed, the game was known to be played by the Ancient Greeks using bronze coins. It is believed that this game was used in the first olympics but was later removed due to lack of entertainment value and this is where the idea of the Gold Medal comes from."

#692 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is tossing pennies a game people or kids use to play? I have never heard of that one.

We used to play it all the time as kids. That would be in the 60s.

We had no Pokemon to chase back then.

4 weeks later
#693 2 years ago

Spotted at the Pinball Hall of Fame today:

Ringer (resized).jpg

#694 2 years ago

Spotted at the Pinball Hall of Fame today:

Aw yeah. That's new since I was there last. Tim Arnold's probably following this thread and got jealous.

Hope you enjoyed a few games with someone, Gir!

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Aw yeah. That's new since I was there last. Tim Arnold's probably following this thread and got jealous.
Hope you enjoyed a few games with someone, Gir!

Now if someone could reproduce the backglass for these

I finally mad a couple of "Ringers" on it tonight. It's a *little* beat up, but it plays great. Now if someone could reproduce the back-glass for these (there must be some owners of Ringers that would buy one ) this would be a great candidate for a restore.

... bur he should keep that "Caution Tape" mod on the feet though.

#696 2 years ago

So, I did something novel...I worked on Swinger.

To start off, it was doing this weird thing where some stuff wouldn't light. Namely:

1) The arc of inserts in front of the swinging target
2) The inserts that correspond to the Swing Reel saucer at the top of the playfield
3) Lit indicator numbers of what ball you're playing...except for ball #4. That one would light.
4) Probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of.

I naively thought it might be a fuse (because, you know, it's always a fuse). However, all those fuse holders seemed to be awfully tight. When I popped the fuses out to check them...

Dr.+Who+Glasses.gif

...they were all good.

At that point, I knew I would either badger someone about it or get off my can and open a darn schematic. (For some reason this still frightens me. I guess I'm still not totally comfortable with the process, but I figured I'd give it a go before whining about it here.) So, here goes.

Schematic!

schematicColors.jpg

Remembering that...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The 6 volt line leads to and powers everything in the green section (lamps, for the most part?)

...I started in that area. I ended-up finding a few things around this part:

schem.jpg

Namely the arc of insert lamps I mentioned in this post (listed as 1000 lite, 3000 lite, 5000 lite, etc. on the schematic above), in addition to things like other lamps that weren't working and perhaps most telling, this portion outlining the lamps for the ball in play:

schem2.jpg

...which was telling because that #4 ball lamp on the backglass that actually lit was the only one that was routed to a different wire.

ah-ha-o.gif

So I followed all these common(ly unlit) bulbs back a ways and found that they all get routed through this make/break switch on the tilt relay:

schem3.jpg

...which I found and located on the bottom of the cabinet. After inspecting it, the switch seemed to be making and breaking. However, the deflection on one of the sides was PREH-HEH-HEH-TEE minimal. So I cleaned the switches and then readjusted to give it a bit more deflection, and finally ensured that each switch was properly making and breaking after adjustment AND THEN...

magic.gif

Everything worked. Another empowering moment, brought to you by schematics.

#697 2 years ago

More updates of the Swinger variety. As you may have heard, I attended the York Show last weekend. While there, I picked up some sample packs of LED's from Cointaker.

I'm determined to find some LED's that reasonably approximate incandescent bulbs (in color and diffusion) because when I remake my backglass, one of the manufacturers I'm talking with has a product that's a little on the opaque side, so brighter LED's work better when shining through that more opaque surface.

Cue the comparisons!

To start, here's Swinger with...

incandescentsEverywhere.gif

Backglass:

IMG_6717 (resized).jpg

Playfield:

IMG_6718 (resized).jpg

I'll preface this by saying that it is VERY DIFFICULT to photograph LED's with any real sense of accuracy for color or light diffusion, but I'll do my best to supplement with some pesky words.

First option I tried were the "Warm White 2-LED with Clear Domes":

warm2clear (resized).jpg

Here's the playfield with the right half replaced with the Cointaker "Warm White 2-LED with Clear Domes":

IMG_6720 (resized).jpg

...and here's the same shot with a division line to show you which bulbs are which:

IMG_6720split (resized).jpg

The color of the light did seem to somewhat mimic the warm color of incandescents. Not perfectly by any means, but a whole lot better than the cool whites. The LEDs were certainly brighter than the incandescents (not surprisingly), but the main thing that perturbed me was the spotlighting that occurred, seen here on the right bulb:

IMG_6723 (resized).jpg

...and again on the right passive bumper:

IMG_6726 (resized).jpg

Similar things happened with the backglass. Here it is with incandescents on the left and LED's on the right:

IMG_6730 (resized).jpg

Same as above with the division line:

IMG_6730split (resized).jpg

...and you can see the lack of diffusion in the LED's:

IMG_6731 (resized).jpg

...as compared to the incandescents:

IMG_6733 (resized).jpg

The color shift did not seem this apparent in reality. Somehow the camera seems to amplify this difference.

The spot-lighting seemed to be less apparent when placed behind artwork:

IMG_6735 (resized).jpg

...and in case you couldn't tell:

IMG_6735split (resized).jpg

I bought a couple more styles of bulbs from them and photographed some more comparison shots, but those image uploads will have to wait for another time. Until then...

sleeping-guy-toothpaste-guitar-playing-prank.gif

#699 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Don't forget to try the twin 2835/1SMD frosted warm whites from Comet!

After reading your informative thread, it sounds like every bulb manufacturer has inconsistencies in their LED colors, but this...

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Comet can't guarantee which ones you'll get (though Art says he will accept returns for whichever batch you don't use).

...sounded pretty grand (for us anal-retentive types ).

Anyhow, more tests from Cointaker, who by the way, told me last weekend that I wouldn't need:

Quoted from NicoVolta:

non-ghosting LEDs

...for an EM machine. I did notice the faintest of illumination on occasions, so maybe that's not the case.

Regardless, here's the next batch I tried, their "Retro" bulbs that have clear domes:

retro (resized).jpg

...which are essentially the same thing as the "Warm White 2-LED with Clear Domes" I showed in my previous post, but instead of two LED's per bulb they have one (so as not to output quite as much light).

Anyhow, here's a naked backbox with the incandescents on the left and LED's on the right. I don't think you'll need labels to figure this one out:

IMG_6764 (resized).jpg

Since there's no backglass in front of the bulbs, not really a fair comparison. But again, as I've mentioned...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

it is VERY DIFFICULT to photograph LED's with any real sense of accuracy

I actually didn't feel like the color shift was quite as drastic as the above image shows. The picture shows the LED's as quite cool in comparison to the incandescents, but they were warmer in reality. Here's the backbox with the backglass installed:

IMG_6766 (resized).jpg

The spotlighting wasn't *quite* as bad as before:

IMG_6769 (resized).jpg

...but was definitely still visible (see girl's torso here):

IMG_6767 (resized).jpg

Moving to the playfield, I really didn't feel like the color shift from incandescents was all that horrible:

IMG_6774 (resized).jpg

FYI, we're working with the same split as the previous post:

IMG_6774split (resized).jpg

Pops don't look too bad:

IMG_6776 (resized).jpg

...but look at the spotlighting on that center plastic below the pops (bulb on the right in the photo above). It's pretty noticeable, and it was the same way on a number of plastics as well as the passive bumper:

IMG_6780 (resized).jpg

Alright. Also not happy with that choice. However, I had a third bag of lights:

warm2frosted (resized).jpg

...the "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs. At least that's what I thought I bought. Evidently in the confusion of the York Show, the Cointaker employee inadvertently put the COOL white bulbs in the WARM white baggie when filling my order:

IMG_6761 (resized).jpg

Yipes! This depicted color shift above was a lot closer to reality.

Here it is with the backglass installed:

IMG_6755 (resized).jpg

Certainly too cool in terms of color, but the diffusion was actually pretty nice (the dreaded spotlighting was considerably reduced due to the frosted domes)!

IMG_6757 (resized).jpg

I found the same thing on the playfield (too cool, but nice diffusion):

IMG_6737 (resized).jpg

The passive bumper corroborates these findings:

cool2frostedPassive (resized).jpg

As did the pops:

IMG_6745 (resized).jpg

So, this made me feel like I was a lot closer to a suitable match! Frosted dome = good...if only they were warm in tone.

Cointaker, to their credit, sent me a replacement bag without too much trouble, and the warm whites arrived in short order. Thank you, Cointaker!

Next post: ACTUAL "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs

#700 2 years ago

It wasn't long (2 or 3 days?) before my replacement baggie o' 10 "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs showed-up in my mailbox. I took a picture of them next to the "Cool White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs and this is how they contrasted with one another (for the visually-impaired; cool on left, warm on right):

warmcool2frosted (resized).jpg

Once installed, they were a lot closer to incandescent-color than I expected:

IMG_6841 (resized).jpg

The same shot on a different aperture shows that they're definitely brighter:

IMG_6842 (resized).jpg

...but (to my surprise), when compared with incandescents the "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs actually seemed to have BETTER light diffusion! (Incandescent on left, "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulb on right):

IMG_6844 (resized).jpg

Similar findings around the playfield (great light diffusion, brighter illumination [but not blinding], and reasonable color match):

IMG_6846 (resized).jpg

IMG_6848 (resized).jpg

I felt the same about the backglass (great light diffusion, brighter illumination [but not blinding], and reasonable color match):

IMG_6851 (resized).jpg

...and some similar backglass comparisons turned-out the best of any LED I've used thus far:

IMG_6853 (resized).jpg

I mean...I even have a hard time seeing the difference on that comparison above.

More LED's:

IMG_6855 (resized).jpg

So, with all this said, I'm not 100% ready to jump on the LED band wagon, however I'm at least warmed-up to the idea of using them now that I've found a reasonable alternative. Let's face it, LED's will never be able to completely replicate that soft on-and-off quality of incandescents, or even that perfect color, but I feel a lot better about using them if my new backglass needs them. In fact, I even left the 10 "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs in my swinger (8 across the score reels and the last two in the passive bumpers at the top of the playfield).

And I feel like the results would be pretty similar to the "Warm White 2-LED Frosted" bulbs, but at some point I would like...

Quoted from NicoVolta:

...to try the twin 2835/1SMD frosted warm whites from Comet...

...but that's a post for another day.

Okay+Jennifer+Lawrence.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 219.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
Operation Pinball
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 9.10
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 19.95
There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside