Topic Stats

• 711 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanClaytor
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6mm retro and new retro blended (resized).jpg
incandescent and 8mm warm clear (resized).jpg
lamps blown out (resized).jpg
IMG_0092 (resized).JPG
Okay+Jennifer+Lawrence.gif
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6848 (resized).jpg
IMG_6846 (resized).jpg
IMG_6851 (resized).jpg
IMG_6844 (resized).jpg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpg
IMG_6841 (resized).jpg
warmcool2frosted (resized).jpg
cool2frostedPassive (resized).jpg
IMG_6757 (resized).jpg

There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Just wanted to let everyone know I recorded a guest spot on "The Pinball Podcast" today (Episode #72).

...aaaand it's up!

http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2016/01/17/episode-72-swinging-with-clay-tor/

Many thanks to Don and Jeff for having me on!

#602 3 years ago

Great episode - super in-depth review of Swinger's shots. Sounds like you need to come to York. Beat the Clock has made an appearance or two since I've been going. Remember that all your questions are answered on the schematic.

#603 3 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

... but enough of this "Idle" Chatter.

So bad it's good!

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So bad it's good!

At least someone got the reference!

1 week later
#605 3 years ago

Since it's been a week from my guest-hosted "The Pinball Podcast" in which I discuss the intricacies of "Swinger," it seemed like as good a time as any to update this thread with the written information included in the show. I did my best to formulate an easy-to-follow outline. Here's what you can expect:

SWINGER OUTINE

Stats/History
Layout
Scoring
Strategy

(I'll be separating these into distinct posts for easy linkage above and from the exhaustive table of contents in the initial post.)

#606 3 years ago

STATS/HISTORY
Title: Swinger
Mfg: Williams
Production Date: December 12, 1972
Type: Electro-Mechanical pinball machine
Flippers: 2
Players: 2
Counterpart: Fun-Fest (4-player)
Designer: Norm Clark (OXO, Spanish Eyes)
Artwork: Christian Marche

#607 3 years ago

LAYOUT

Looking from the upper to the lower part of the playfield, just below the ball arch you have a couple of passive bumpers with a saucer in between and a roll-over lane on the outside of either passive bumper. Below that is a nest of 5 pop-bumpers with 4 stand-up targets above. Below the pops is the swinging target in the middle of the playfield. On the outside left and right of the swinging target are a couple of additional stand-up targets. The bottom of the playfield has no in-lanes, and the gaping outlanes are laying in wait ready to demolish you. However, each method of exit has a ball save. In the left outlane you can light a kick-back, in the right outlane can open a gate to redirect the ball back to the shooter lane, and between the two traditionally placed flippers is an up-post.

claytorSwinger_(resized).jpg

#608 3 years ago

SCORING

Upper center saucer advances “Swing Reel” (single score reel in backglass, unrelated to the player score, with red numbers).

claytorSwingReel_(resized).jpg

Land in saucer 3x to be awarded an Extra Ball.

At end of ball, despite the Swing Reel resetting at the same time the bonus score is incrementing, they have nothing to do with one another. (This took me several days of playing to understand.)

Swinging target is a sucker-shot. It’s a sexy temptress, but succumb to its siren song at your own peril. Even the left outlane kick-back save will occasionally kick my ball back into play, only to brick off the left star-post of the swinging target, and plummet back down the now-unlit and impotent kick-back lane. The Swinging target awards negligible points unless it is lit, and in order to light it you must hit those far left and far right stand-up targets right off the edge of your flipper. Again, if you miss, there’s a good chance the out-lane chasms will devour your ball.

Okay, so all this talk about why hitting this target is a bad idea (at least at first). Let’s assume you want to give this swinging target a go, how does it work? Well, oh-defier of odds, there is an arc of 10 inserts that are valued either 5000, 3000, or 1000 points. The exception to this is the far left and far right insert which are 1000 points PLUS they light the right outlane save (the gate which redirects your ball to the shooter lane). So this arc of 10 inserts has a moving light underneath them. This single light “moves” sequentially, from left to right, across the arc. When you hit the far left or right stand-up target to light the swinging target, you also lock that moving light on whatever insert happened to be lit at time of your hit (either 5000, 3000, 1000, or 1000 +right out-lane save). The lamp stays lit on that value until you hit the swinging target, at which point you are awarded the lit insert value and the lamp proceeds to once again move sequentially across the arch of inserts.

Unlike many EM’s, scoring on Swinger is NOT heavily dependent on accruing bonus points. Unless you are having a particularly awful game, the majority of your points should come from direct playfield scoring. Bonus is awarded based on the position of the moving lit insert on the arc of inserts mentioned in conjunction with the swinging target. When you drain and the ball hits the trough, you are awarded whatever value is lit on the arc of inserts (either 5000, 3000, or 1000). The final ball triples your bonus.

Of the four upper stand-up targets, (the ones I mentioned right above the pop bumpers) the outer two each light the left out-lane kick-back save. The inner two will light either the green or yellow bumpers for 100 points per pop instead of 10. (Of the 5 pop bumers, 2 are green, 2 are yellow, and the center pop is pink and always awards 100 points.)

It’s probably also worth mentioning that each outlane save (via the kickback or shooter-lane return gate) award 3000 points, which is one of the more generous point values on the playfield.

#609 3 years ago

STRATEGY

Stay the heck away from that Swinging target. At least for a while. First thing I try to achieve is an extra ball. 3 times into the saucer doesn’t seem like it should be too difficult, but proves to be more challenging than I’d like to admit. There’s no straight shot to that saucer, so once your ball has left the top ball arch area (where there are opportunities to nudge the ball off the passives and into the saucer), you’re just kind of lobbing it back up into the pops and hoping for the best. This kind of randomness seems to be a turn-off to players accustom to more modern machines with every shot feeding a flipper. I really enjoy this, though, as others have mentioned before me, it kind of levels the playing field. Right now, my wife has the top score on Swinger and we have very close games, which is a ton of fun. If we hop over to our Whirlwind or DemoMan, she gets bored of watching me play, knowing if she wins I probably threw the game. Not the case with Swinger.

Anyhow, back to strategy, if I’ve achieved a three on the Swing Reel and have been awarded an extra ball, then I start focusing on points. Probably the safest area to get points and “chop wood” as the kids like to say, is up in the pops. If you can get all the pops lit, you’re get 100 points for every hit, which racks up relatively quickly on my sweet-sweet, rebuilt, DC pop bumpers. Not to mention, when the ball comes back down to the bottom of the playfield, the trajectory is in a more vertical motion, which is great on this game. If you get things out of control on the lower portion of the playfield, things start to get horizontal and unpredictable in a hurry and before you know it, your ball is in an outlane.

If you’re impatient and aren’t a fan of the wood-chop method, then you can work on cradling the ball (difficult to do without inlanes) and sniping either stand-up target which locks the swinging target value, obviously 5000 points would be the most lucrative.

Another risky way to earn points quickly is to actively use your lit outlanes. Each time you use a lit ball save on either outlane, it awards you 3000 points. So, that’s a decent number of points, but of course your safety net has now been taken away from you and you’ll want to relight it before draining.

There are also some interesting nudging-for-score opportunities up at the top of the game. Those two passive bumpers (and every 10 point score on the playfield) alternate the playfield lamps (and consequently the awarded score) for each of the 3 paths out of the ball arch. The two side roll-over lanes alternate between 1000 and 3000 points. The center saucer has 5 separate point values to cycle through, again changing based on a hit to the passives or any other 10 point relay. The values for the center saucer are 500, 500, 500, 500, and 5000! For some reason I love the fact that the two outer lanes have an even number of possibilities and the center has and odd number of possibilities, so then you’re seldom on the same set of possibilities. Regardless of what point value earned for the center saucer, you always receive 1 Swing Reel point, moving you closer to that extra ball. So, obviously that’s the path you want to take out of the ball arch. However, even if you navigate the ball toward that saucer, there’s just enough space on either side where the ball occasionally skirts the lip of that saucer, does not come to rest, and therefore never triggers the point value or Swing Reel.

Lots of great risk/reward opportunity on this game!

#610 3 years ago

I hope this helps clarify a largely unthought-of game. I've been having a ton of fun figuring out how it works, playing it, and battling my wife for top score.

(We've traded "Grand Champ" status several times since it's been up and running. Only recently did I dethrone her by a few thousand points and she's determined to take back her rightful place on the Swinger leader board. )

For anyone curious about my absence here, I've got a few wonderful obligations to blame. If you listened to "The Pinball Podcast - Episode #72" you'll know all about my laundry list of pinball illustration work. Several of those are nearing completion and I've been really excited to work on each of them. For the anti-podcasters among us, here are some names you'll see my artwork associated with on event T-shirts, posters, and the like in 2016:

- Stern Pinball
- ReplayFX
- Pinball at the Zoo
- Todd MacCullough's personal arcade
- BGResto.com

*phew* And that's just what I know at the start of the year. Ha-ha!

I also wanted to take this opportunity to send out a sincere thanks to each of these pinball clients. They've all treated me like royalty and I'm proud to be associated with them.

In addition to that, I'm in heavy event-planning mode at my main job. I'm a professor at Michigan State University where I'm also the Director of the Michigan State University Comics Forum, a free event for scholars, creators, and fans of the comics medium. We're bringing the most-awarded cartoonist in all of history as our keynote speaker this year, Sergio Aragones, who is STILL working for Mad Magazine after more than 50 years, producing his creator-owned title, Groo the Wanderer, for more than 30 years, and has illustrated about a billion other things in his lifetime. I'm proud to have crossed-off a personal bucketlist item (to colaborate with Sergio) as I colored our event poster that he illustrated:

2016MSUComicsForum_(resized).jpg

Despite this opportunity to showcase one of my life-long heroes, I'm also taking care of a lot of boring things behind-the-scenes to ensure this event goes off without a hitch.

All this to say, my re-theme is still a high priority on my to do list, but it may take a while to come to fruition due to jobby stuff. Rest assured, the Swinger Restore Family here will be the first to receive notification. Well...in truth, I'll be breaking the news on Nick/BingoPodcast's "For Amusement Only" show, but I'll be sure to brief you of that prior to it's air-date.

#611 3 years ago

Congrats on all the new pin work. Though it takes away from your personal pin time, the exposure is priceless.

One of my observations with "Fun-Fest" at the Houston show is the lack of ease to cradle and shoot like you mentioned. Makes for a more challenging game!

#612 3 years ago

Awesome!
I didn't know Groo was still being produced! Loved it and still have a bunch of titles

2 weeks later
#613 3 years ago

Hi All,

Not much to report on my personal project here, but I wanted to let everyone know that a few members of the Swinger Restore Family are doing great things:

- -- -------------------------------------- -- -

BingoPodcast's young daughter is hard at work on a Turf King (a 1-ball horse race game) restore...with a little help from dad:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1950-bally-turf-king-one-ball-horse-race-game

tk_(resized).jpg

Pecos happened across a rare gem (only 55 ever produced!), a neglected Bally Double-Up, that he is respectfully nursing back to its former glory:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1970-double-up-minimalist-restoration

du_(resized).jpg

(Ha-ha! That playfield graphic cracks me up every time.)

...and finally, Mk1Mod0 is at it again with his ambitious (understatement of the century) project of making ANOTHER acrylic pinball wonder of the world, only this time he's tackling the electro-mechanical insanity of a magic-screen bingo pinball machine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clearly-insane-part-ii-bingo

int-golden_gate-2_(resized).jpg

Keep up the inspiring work, guys! Here's hoping everyone else enjoys their process posts as much as I do.
-Ryan

1 week later
#614 3 years ago

WARNING: Still not an art update.

As previously mentioned, I've got a busy week coming up, but I received a nice present from The Pinball Podcast and NiftyLED a couple days ago. A sample bag of 25 "Retro/Warm" LED's:

bag1281_(resized).jpg

If you listened to my recent guest appearance on The Pinball Podcast, you heard my admission that I've been resistant to using LED's for quite some time, but also conceded to the fact that it had been a few years since I've tried them and thought it might be time to give LED's another go. As usual, I wanted to document my process here when swapping-out some incandescents and my thoughts about the differences.

Okay, time to get down to business and replace a few bulbs on Swinger. It had been a while since I had any pin repair my little dude could help with (heck, it's been a while since there's been something for ME to help with), but this light-swap provided an opportunity for my 2.5-year-old son to astound me with how adept he's become with a screwdriver in the past few months:

helper1250_(resized).jpg

I'll preface this post by echoing everyone who has ever photographed pinball lighting; it's really hard to get an accurate representation of lighting as you see it in reality. With that disclaimer out of the way, let's proceed...

Here is the backglass with all traditional incandescents installed and overhead room lights turned on (I'm not really concerned with the cracking paint, more the quality of light):

backglassIncandescents1239_(resized).jpg

...and the backglass again, still with all incandescents installed but overhead lights turned off:

backglassIncandescentsLightsOff1246_(resized).jpg

Here is the playfield with all incandescents and overhead lights turned on:

playfieldIncandescents1255_(resized).jpg

...and the playfield with all incandescents and overhead lights turned off:

playfieldIncandescents1237_(resized).jpg

Personal Preference Clause: I really like the look of incandescent bulbs: the warm color tone, the subtle fade on and off, and the association I have with them from times past just give me good feels. However, I would love to use LED's: less power suck, cooler on fragile surfaces such as backglass and plastics, and less-frequent need to replace. My problem with LED's is that I haven't found a bulb that can replicate the aforementioned preferences I have toward incadescents. With that said, let's continue on with the documentation. Here's what the Nifty LED "retro/warm" bulb looks like straight out of the bag:

retroLEDBulb1277_(resized).jpg

They are very comparable in height to the traditional incandescent 44's:

hand1280_(resized).jpg

For the next several pictures, I've replaced the right half of the machine with Nifty LED's warm/retro led bulbs.

Here is perhaps the most telling picture of all (again, it was really difficult to photograph the differences accurately, but I'll attempt to supplement my poor representations with more of my pesky words).

Backbox with blackglass removed. Incandescents on the left and LED's on the right:

backbox1269_(resized).jpg

I think the warmness of the incandescents come through pretty well in the photo, but perhaps a little warmer than in reality. The LED's are admittedly cooler in the picture, but they have a green-ish cast in reality. This next image is the same as the one above, but I MANIPULATED IT in an attempted to closer represent reality:

backbox1269MANIPULATED_(resized).jpg

Admittedly, the manipulation still pales in comparison to reality, but it's a little closer, I think.

Here it is again with backglass installed and incandescents on the left and LED's on the right:

backglassComp1270_(resized).jpg

The color shift is less noticable when the glass is on, for sure, but a greenish/cool tone is still present on the LED's and light is less evenly dispersed than their incandescent counterparts.

Here is a close-up on the score reels:

backglassScoreReelsComp1273_(resized).jpg

The LED score reels appear to be better lit, but in reality I had no problem reading the incandescent-lit score reels on the left. I think they must appear more dim as the camera aperture compensates for the brightness of the LED's on the right.

Here is a shot of the entire playfield with incandescent/LED comparison:

playfieldWholeComp1260_(resized).jpg

...and another comparison close-up around the pops:

playfieldComp1265_(resized).jpg

The above playfield comparison was taken with the room lighting off, so like the backbox comparison mentioned above, I feel like the comparison between the amount of light is unfairly represented, while the color shift is still clearly cooler/greener on the right (LED's) struck me as even moreso in reality.

Ultimately, I think my major hang-up about LED's is the color. I haven't found an LED that closely represents the warm white of an incandescent bulb. To me, they all still look like they're shoving some yellow hue into a cool white bulb and it comes out looking like a sickly green color.

I'm an admittedly picky artist and possibly more hung-up on color than others, so I brought my wife downstairs after the LED half-swap and asked for her opinion in an unleading way. "What do you think?" is all I said. After looking for a moment, she said, "I like the left side better. It looks all green and weird on the right side."

I'm convinced this is not the fault of Nifty LED and would whole-heartedly support and buy from them in the future if I find an LED product that I would like to use. The reason I mention their name here is to hopefully direct some folks their way and thank them for sponsoring one of my favorite pinball podcast. But I also hope this serves as a conversation starter with them. With millions of different color combinations available in the RGB spectrum, surely there must be a way to design an LED light that mirrors the warm white we all know and love and doesn't have the sickly greenish cast to it.

Here's hoping,
Ryan

A final word of thanks to The Pinball Podcast and NiftyLED for their kindness, generosity, and customer service.

#615 3 years ago

Minor update: I just called Nifty LED. Nate answered (on the weekend) and was just as nice and receptive as all accounts I've heard. We chat about my questions and I suspect he'll be chiming in on this thread before too long. I'll let him respond, as he'll probably say it better than I could. Just wanted to reiterate what a customer-focused company we (the pinball community) have in Nifty LED.

Thanks for making some time to answer my questions, Nate.

Sincerely,
Ryan

#616 3 years ago

I with ya 100%! Well, maybe 50%... no, probably more like 60-40... Anyways, I felt the same way about LEDs For a number of years. Especially since the examples you usually come across are glaring tests of your brains ability not to put you into seizure mode. I was VERY proud to find this on my Black Pyramid at TPF a few years ago.
IMG_6853_(resized).JPG

But then I saw what a judicious use of white and color LEDs could do. At the same TPF I saw two examples of side by side games. One was a pair of Stargazers, the other was a pair of Twilight Zones. Each pair had one with traditional lighting and the other with LEDs. On both of the LED versions, the back glass/translight had much fuller and richer colors and the inserts and pops looked great. I've since added LEDs behind my backglasses and to the extent I can afford it I have put color matched LEDs under my playfield inserts. I am VERY pleased with the results. I doubt I will ever use them for GI lights, but they do have a place in my machines.

#617 3 years ago

Hi Ryan,

It was great meeting you and speaking with you as well. We try to be helpful and we realize there are other LED providers in the pinball world but pride ourselves in being the easiest to work with and service-oriented.

We understand that LEDs aren't for everybody or every game but we try to keep the look of the game more natural, original- using the LEDs to enhance what's already in the game. We really aren't fans of putting a lot of color in the spot lights, color in the GI or backbox. While accent colors can be nice here and there on certain games, too much color in the General Illumination washes out the original art that the artist put there in the first place. Additionally, many people go for LEDs that are as bright as possible which is also not our style. We think an understated and subtle look is the way to go.

Unfortunately, I think its all the excessive color and brightness that turns a lot of people off about LEDs and its a shame because this can be avoided.

Thanks for your post here... its always great to see our customer's photos and comparisons, especially a side-by-side comparison! If you have any other questions feel free to call again.

Thanks for your support,
Nate

#618 3 years ago

I am pretty sure that a little bit of work with HDR/Exposure Bracketing could produce a really nice image of a pinball machine with the lights on. If I can ever find some time I am going to try it.

To see what I mean, look at this Wiki page, then scroll down to the Example which shows a picture of the St Louis arch with a building in front of it. The lighting scenario on a pinball machine is very similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging

1 week later
#619 3 years ago

When I was experimenting with LED's I found that "retro" clear bulbs did not disperse well at all. Under the back glass they projected small circles on the art. I generally only use frosted bulbs and mostly warmer colors.

3 weeks later
#620 3 years ago

And... Caught up! Great thread Ryan she's purrrdy. Really enjoyed watching you progress in you skills from

Quoted from RyanClaytor:the slammy bit of the pop bumper
up to
Quoted from RyanClaytor:so I referenced the schematic, and low and behold:

as the thread went on. I laughed, I cried, I gasped a bit, it was truly and emotional ride. Who bought the movie rights? Now let's finish on a high note and take those

Quoted from RyanClaytor:lily-white mouse-pushing hands
and get some retheme art on here

though I'll have to give the thread a new theme song when that day comes

In all seriousness after reading 619 posts I really want to play a Swinger heck now I want to own a Swinger! Definitely gave me the confidence boost to continue tackling my EMs and has fed the addiction even more. Great Job!

#621 3 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

I laughed, I cried, I gasped a bit, it was truly and emotional ride.

Ha-ha! Wow. Reading through this whole mess in one go, I would imagine it was mostly crying. Kudos for making it through the entire romp. From a spectator's standpoint, I'd imagine it was a little more palatable over an 8 month span than a couple/few evenings of binge reading, but I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment, Zarklin.

Quoted from Zarklin:

get some retheme art on here

I am SO interested in getting to this re-theme, you have no idea. Good things are happening in my life with univerity job, illustration-for-hire, and family, but all that spells out delays in this passion project. I am, however, making progress on that front as well. Slowly, but surely. I'm keeping notes to update you all when the time is right. ...but as mentioned before:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'll be breaking the [re-theme] news on Nick/BingoPodcast's "For Amusement Only" podcast

...and also...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'll be sure to brief you of that prior to it's air-date.

But sincere thanks for your interest.

Quoted from Zarklin:

I'll have to give the thread a new theme song when that day comes

Ha-ha! Noice!!!

Quoted from Zarklin:

In all seriousness after reading 619 posts I really want to play a Swinger heck now I want to own a Swinger!

We need to get you over here soon! *fingers crossed this week will work out* Looking forward to meeting you in-person.

Quoted from Zarklin:

Definitely gave me the confidence boost to continue tackling my EMs and has fed the addiction even more. Great Job!

This is pretty gratifying to hear. You've been restoring and updating at ludicrous speed. You'll have a couple of functional pins before you know it. I've been re-inspired reading through your introduction to the hobby, Zarklin. For anyone else who'd like another great newbie thread to follow...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pins-are-home-time-to-start-the-adventure

...Zarklin is doing a wonderful job getting started and jumping in head-first with a couple of EM projects. And don't fret, he's coming in with a lot more electrical know-how than I did. Ha-ha!

Best of luck managing this hobby,
Ryan

#622 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I would imagine it was mostly crying.

Only over the fate of that good looking play-field I've got an e-bay saved search just in case a nasty one shows up

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Good things are happening in my life with univerity job, illustration-for-hire, and family, but all that spells out delays in this passion project.

Totally understandable, like I've been told in my own thread. The games will be there take care of what counts first. In all honestly I was just looking for a good way to work in you Lily white mouse pushing hands comment lmao.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

We need to get you over here soon! *fingers crossed this week will work out* Looking forward to meeting you in-person.

Like wise. My wife laughed when she saw this and said "yes boys you can have a play date"

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

This is pretty gratifying to hear. You've been restoring and updating at ludicrous speed. You'll have a couple of functional pins before you know it. I've been re-inspired reading through your introduction to the hobby, Zarklin. For anyone else who'd like another great newbie thread to follow...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pins-are-home-time-to-start-the-adventure

...Zarklin is doing a wonderful job getting started and jumping in head-first with a couple of EM projects. And don't fret, he's coming in with a lot more electrical know-how than I did. Ha-ha!

fj8usxq7q18bwfr1iu87_(resized).jpg

Thank you for the kind words and linking Ryan. The community on here has been extremely welcoming and a great help. Looking forward to many more years and pins to come in this hobby!

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

"yes boys you can have a play date"

yess_(resized).png

Edit: Robin fix animated gifs, pleeease!

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

yess_(resized).png

'Robin is currently unavailable as he recovers from his whirlwind tour of Texas and Louisiana. Please try again in a week or two.'

#625 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

yess_(resized).png

To make gifs work, you need to change the setting in the attach images box to original size. Then just attach image. I tried copy, paste but that didn't work. So I saved image and then attached within the box below.

tumblr_m96tbbl1861qi66kho1_500.gif

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

To make gifs work, you need to change the setting in the attach images box to original size.

Testing testing...

yess.gif

#627 3 years ago

Why isn't this working?

tyraCracked.gif

#628 3 years ago

Oh lordy! There it is!!!

Aahhh, yes. That's it.

aahh.gif

It feels so good to be back.

#629 3 years ago

Wait, wha--?

aahh.gif

I am going out of my mind.

giphy-facebook_s_(resized).jpg

*weeps* Why animated gifs? Why do you mock me?

#630 3 years ago

I also forgot to mention that they can't be too big. I don't what the size limit is but if it has trouble loading then they are too big.

4GBoCHg.gif

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I also forgot to mention that they can't be too big. I don't what the size limit is but if it has trouble loading then they are too big.

Do you have a link to that post where Robin outlines the change? Does it specify the max file size there?

fair.gif

#633 3 years ago

< - - ( My only means of "animated" gifs )

#634 3 years ago

I only know there is a limit from trial and error but I will do a quick search and look.

On an old thread it said file limit was 5 MB for JPEGs and 3 MB for other file types.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maximum-picture-file-size#post-866352

#635 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wait, wha--?
aahh.gif

Tina.gif

#636 3 years ago

I thought I would look up swingers gifs for this thread...

surprise.gif

Edit: I don't know what the deal is. I now can't get a gif to work no matter the size.

#637 3 years ago

But the gif does take you to a page where it does work when you click on the expand icon.

Dirty_Rotten_Scoundrels_Whip_Scene.gif

#638 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

But the gif does take you to a page where it does work when you click on the expand icon.

Dirty_Rotten_Scoundrels_Whip_Scene.gif

Liar.

Nevermind. Figured out what you said. It's a picnic. (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.)

#639 3 years ago

hi, i wanted to pop in and say thanks for posting such detailed pics and descriptions of your pinball restore.

about 2 weeks ago i got a FUN FEST. My dad bought it back in 1979 and we played it for years. Later it was passed around between various relatives and just now it was delivered to my house.

I set it up and it played ok for about 30 minutes. Then the coil on the match unit locked up. I searched the internet and found your thread. To make a long story short... i rebuilt the match unit, then the 10 point score real, and neither fixed the prob. What fixed it was cleaning the switches on the 10 point relay with a piece of thin cardboard.

Ive been working on it for a few hours here and there and now its almost 100%. Almost all the switches on the playfield were mangled and misadjusted. Now ive got the switches all fine tuned and its running super fast. Soon I'll take the playfield apart and do a deep clean before putting it in the game room.

so thanks! this thread really helped me understand how the pinball works and directed me to important info and products...

like ipdb where i got the schematics and manual.
and tools like the switch adjuster from pinballlife.
and other things like Super Lube, Novus 2, 91% alcohol, Scotch Brite Pads.

THANKS!!!

pic-pinside01_(resized).jpg

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from bubblebeet:

about 2 weeks ago i got a FUN FEST. My dad bought it back in 1979 and we played it for years. Later it was passed around between various relatives and just now it was delivered to my house.

NICE!!! Welcome to the club!

Quoted from bubblebeet:

Soon I'll take the playfield apart and do a deep clean before putting it in the game room.

Rebuild those pops!

Quoted from bubblebeet:

...thanks for posting such detailed pics and descriptions of your pinball restore.

Not a problem! Glad it was helpful. Thanks, too, for the kind words and great story about your dad's machine, bubblebeet.

----------

In peripherally related news, I have a story about my young son (not yet 3). We had a guest over to our house this evening and she caught wind of the pinball machines in our basement. So, after dinner, wife, guest, son, and I head down there to have a go with the pins. Our guest hops on a pin and I pick up my son so he can watch. Two second into her game she's newbie-flippin' (both flippers at the same time) and without prompting my son exclaims with great enunciation, "No-no!!! Only...flip...one...flipper at a time!!!" I about died laughing.

Happy evening, Swinger Restore Family!

1 month later
#641 3 years ago

If anyone is interested, another Fun Fest popped up on eBay:

ebay.com link » Original Vintage 1973 Williams Fun Fest Pinball Machine

It looks to be almost in the same condition Ryan's was before he started on it.

#642 3 years ago

If anyone is interested, another Fun Fest popped up on eBay:
ebay.com link » Original Vintage 1973 Williams Fun Fest Pinball Machine
It looks to be almost in the same condition Ryan's was before he started on it.

...with the added benefit of coming with manual, schematic, keys...and a New York pricetag. Starting bid of $599 seems pretty steep to me. Boston Pinball shows 3 Swingers having sold on eBay in the past 6 months and the average selling price is still under $400. I'm not saying I don't love my Swinger, but I'd hate to see anyone get gouged for this. ...but who knows. Maybe I don't know the New York market. *shrugs*

Regardless, thanks for posting, Gir!

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...with the added benefit of coming with manual, schematic, keys...and a New York pricetag. Starting bid of $599 seems pretty steep to me. Boston Pinball shows 3 Swingers having sold on eBay in the past 6 months and the average selling price is still under $400. I'm not saying I don't love my Swinger, but I'd hate to see anyone get gouged for this. ...but who knows. Maybe I don't know the New York market. *shrugs*
Regardless, thanks for posting, Gir!

If it were cheaper, and about 2500 miles closer, I'd almost consider getting it myself, if I had he time to work on it (or at least store it until I had time to work on it). The playfield itself looks mostly good (but dirty) but my only concern is that arc shaped mark near the center of the playfield. It's hard to tell if its a scratch, or just a ring from something round that was set on the playfield. I'd definitely have too see it in person first.
s-l500_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#644 3 years ago

Someone posted this on the Project Pins thread. Another Fun fest for $500. A bit beaten, but it's only about 110 miles from me in (Drumroll) San Diego.

sandiego.craigslist.org link

At least it's closer, but it doesn't even look as good as the one in New York for $599.00 (which didn't sell)

#645 3 years ago

Someone posted this on the Project Pins thread. Another Fun fest for $500. A bit beaten, but it's only about 110 miles from me in (Drumroll) San Diego.
sandiego.craigslist.org link
At least it's closer, but it doesn't even look as good as the one in New York for $599.00 (which didn't sell)

That San Diego Fun-Fest doesn't look too bad! There are no good pics of the playfield, but maybe email the seller and ask for some. ...maybe feel him out to see if he's flexible on price at all. This thread really has you jonesin', doesn't it, Gir.

#646 3 years ago

It says not working but that could mean anything. Probably something fairly simple and with all of the detail in this thread heck you should be able to fix anything on that machine. From the pictures it looks like it has just been sitting there and is dirty more than anything else. I bet it would clean up to a nice machine. Too bad it is such a major pain to drive to San Diego, most people not from here probably don't appreciate that this 110 miles is more like 200 because of the aggravating traffic.

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Most people not from here probably don't appreciate that this 110 miles is more like 200 because of the aggravating traffic.

No, we understand. But that's the trade off for having nearly perfect weather year around. If it wasn't for the crappy Winters and muggy Summers we'd have the traffic snarl in Wisconsin too.

#648 3 years ago

Also it would be great to go to Comic-Con and visit you in your booth there (as you noted in your other thread) but that event is just too crazy to go to anymore for me. Soooo many people....

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It says not working but that could mean anything.

"Probably needs a fuse."

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

That San Diego Fun-Fest doesn't look too bad! There are no good pics of the playfield, but maybe email the seller and ask for some. ...maybe feel him out to see if he's flexible on price at all. This thread really has you jonesin', doesn't it, Gir.

If I had room, and my situation was better right now, I'd consider making a trip to check it out, and maybe buying it. If I were to get a project EM, I'd most likely get a Williams anyways (helps when I have a small stash of parts for them).

1 week later
#650 3 years ago

Did that podcast reveal happen yet?

Where's the art? Where's the code?

I want my deposit back! This a reverse jpop. Working game but no art.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,999.99
$ 320.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
There are 711 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside