(Topic ID: 134440)

Williams Swinger backglass availability?

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game would you rate from 1-4?”

• Wms Blue Chip 0 votes
  • Bly Bon Voyage 0 votes
  • Wms Lady Luck 0 votes
  • Wms Swinger 1 vote
    100%

(Multiple choice - 1 vote by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3192.jpg
Ruleset.pdf (PDF preview)
Playfield.pdf (PDF preview)
378307_359809940759721_1938952833_n.jpg
plan.jpeg
417017.jpeg
RiverBoat.jpg
Theycallmebruce-cover.gif
Backglass2.gif
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Is this backglass difficult to find? I've searched here and online but only see "WTB"s for it.

I've also emailed and called Mayfair Amusement but no response yet. Are there any other backglass companies that might have one?

Thanks,
Bruce

#2 8 years ago

www.bgresto.com

I know they did Fun-Fest.

I believe Sam Harvey has a NOS Swinger BG.

#3 8 years ago

There's also shayarcadegroup.com & pinballglass.homestead.com

#4 8 years ago

I checked bgresto.com before posting here and they would need the original glass to do a reproduction. The backglass on the game I'm thinking of buying is shattered into a million pieces.

Bruce

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I believe Sam Harvey has a NOS Swinger BG.

May I ask who Sam Harvey is?

Quoted from poppapin:

There's also shayarcadegroup.com & pinballglass.homestead.com

I checked Shay and Webb before posting here too because of the quality of their backglass reproductions.

I could post a thread asking if others are interested in a reproduction but I don't think there would be enough interested Pinsiders to get a run done.

Bruce

#6 8 years ago

You might want to check with Ryan Claytor as he is re-theming a Swinger and may not need the original glass.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the lead, Odin. Will talk to him.

Bruce

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

May I ask who Sam Harvey is?

I checked Shay and Webb before posting here too because of the quality of their backglass reproductions.
I could post a thread asking if others are interested in a reproduction but I don't think there would be enough interested Pinsiders to get a run done.
Bruce

Sam Harvey is a well know pinball collector and historian. He resides in Pomona, California. His bio is in the Mr. Pinball Price guide along with contact information. Sam is old school. Telephone calls only. No Internet.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Sam+Harvey+Pinball

#9 8 years ago

The backglass on the game I'm thinking of buying is shattered into a million pieces.
Bruce

It may end up saving you...that game is BRUTAL.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It may end up saving you...that game is BRUTAL.

In what way? It seems like a fun game and I like the colors/artwork on it.

#11 8 years ago

Hey, would you look at that! Another Swinger thread!

The backglass on the game I'm thinking of buying is shattered into a million pieces.

Bummer, PinballFever.

Quoted from o-din:

You might want to check with Ryan Claytor

Thanks for the mention, Odin. Yah, I do have a spare backglass! So, here's the good and bad:

Good: I have a Swinger BG and once my re-theme is complete, I'd be happy to sell it if someone was interested.

Bad: While the vast majority of the artwork is still on the glass, it's a little on the flaky side. I'd also want to hold onto it until my re-theme is complete, which won't be done real soon. So if you're in a hurry, I'm probably not your guy.

I'd be happy to chat, PinballFever (as we have in the past). You know where to reach me.

Quoted from TheLaw:

that game is BRUTAL

Yes, do tell! I actually thought it wasn't much of a ball-buster due to all the save options it gives you (up-post in the middle, kick-back in the left out-lane, plunger gate in the right out-lane).

Good luck with the potential purchase, PF! I've had fun on the one's I've played (not mine yet, as I'm still nursing it back from the dead). Ha-ha!

Feel free to follow along:

Best,
Ryan

#12 8 years ago

I got mine from Steve Engel - Mayfair a year or so ago. It was one of his last ones, if not the last one.

Brutal or not, this was a popular title that got played to death on route. I have never seen a low play, nice example of this game. Mine is a keeper.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

PinballFever said:
Bummer, PinballFever.

Hi Ryan!

Yes I was hoping the ink was just bad when the seller informed me it was "broken" so I could possibly have bgrestro do a reproduction or repair it myself.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

So if you're in a hurry, I'm probably not your guy.

You're probably right. I won't buy and keep a game sitting around waiting for a backglass to become available.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Feel free to follow along:

I certainly will. I'm very interested in what you're doing, Ryan.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Good luck with the potential purchase, PF!

Please call me Bruce. "PF" looks like "PlayField" when I see it.

Quoted from MrBally:

Sam Harvey is a well know pinball collector and historian. He resides in Pomona, California. His bio is in the Mr. Pinball Price guide along with contact information. Sam is old school. Telephone calls only. No Internet.

I'm thinking a NOS backglass would be better used in an original very nice condition or restored machine than a game that would just be cleaned up and fixed up. I would prefer to buy a reproduction or used BG in good condition.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll most likely just keep my eyes open for another candidate with a BG. It looks like a fun game and I like the very cool "swinging" art work.

Keep on swinging.
Bruce

#14 8 years ago

Please call me Bruce.

Bruce!

"PF" looks like "PlayField" when I see it.

Now that I see it typed out, you're totally right. Ha-ha!

I like the very cool "swinging" art work.

Oh, man. That sweaty guy all hot and bothered in the bottom left of the BG slays me everytime! *LOL*

Backglass2.gifBackglass2.gif

So, what's the verdict? Did you pull the trigger on the Swinger sans-backglass? Lookin' forward to the story.

Best,
Ryan

#15 8 years ago

I don't know what game you guys are playing, or what the pitch is on the playfield, but Swinger or F*&%Fest are just ass kickers! For me anyway (and anyone I've ever talked aboot it with )

#16 8 years ago

Mine's at a 1 degree pitch. Why, how do you have yours set up?

#17 8 years ago

Please call me Bruce.

Theycallmebruce-cover.gifTheycallmebruce-cover.gif

#18 8 years ago

Take a GOOD look at my face... I'm an Oriental.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't know what game you guys are playing, or what the pitch is on the playfield, but Swinger or F*&%Fest are just ass kickers! For me anyway (and anyone I've ever talked aboot it with

I can't imagine it is any more of an ass kicker than this two inch flipper swinging target game.

RiverBoat.jpgRiverBoat.jpg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I can't imagine it is any more of an ass kicker than this two inch flipper swinging target game.

don't think I played that one, but take off pair of those 1-2" plastic pieces above the slings and then we might be talking. Goddamn swinger funnels all that crap right down the side.

Good call on that game though...they are really similar.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

take off pair of those 1-2" plastic pieces above the slings

Good idea! I may have to try that. No really if you add the lane above those plastics and the one below it there is quite the area for the ball to drain and those nails they put in there next to the Special do pretty much nothing to direct the ball back into play. But for some reason I keep playing it.

#22 8 years ago

The guys over at Fathom Vintage in Ceres California made a translite for their Funfest, I believe. It shouldn't take too much work to make a Swinger out of it if they still have the digital file...

#23 8 years ago

Thanks RC...err Ryan!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Oh, man. That sweaty guy all hot and bothered in the bottom left of the BG slays me everytime! *LOL*

The BG is funny but I like the colors and artwork in it and the PF too.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

So, what's the verdict? Did you pull the trigger on the Swinger sans-backglass? Lookin' forward to the story.

It's a no brainer for me. I won't buy and store a game when I know I can't get a BG for it at the time. To me "out of sight" is "out of mind".

Quoted from MrArt2u:

The guys over at Fathom Vintage in Ceres California made a translite for their Funfest, I believe. It shouldn't take too much work to make a Swinger out of it if they still have the digital file...

Funfest is a 4 player with different artwork. Would a digital file still work for it?

I'd also love to try a repair of a trashed Swinger BG with waterslide decals if I can get ahold of one.

Quoted from o-din:

Theycallmebruce-cover.gif

That looks like a funny movie! I checked but it's not available on Netflix.

Thanks again guys!
Bruce

417017.jpeg417017.jpeg

#24 8 years ago

That looks like a funny movie! I checked but it's not available on Netflix.

Yeah, they never have the good ones.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, they never have the good ones.

Actually they have a lot of good movies if you like watching certain types. My wife and I both watch action thrillers, comedies, etc and I use an HD antenna for local live programming.

More money saved from not paying a cable company's exorbitant monthly costs that can be used for the good of pinballs.

#26 8 years ago

800 channels and nothing worthwhile on. Time to cut the cable.

plan.jpegplan.jpeg

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Time to cut the cable.

About time! I cut the cable when I realized I was paying for "nothing worthwhile"

378307_359809940759721_1938952833_n.jpg378307_359809940759721_1938952833_n.jpg

#28 8 years ago

OK, an update. I have a source for an original Swinger BG in very nice condition.

I need to choose between the Swinger or a Williams Lady Luck.

Which game do YOU guys like better if both are in good condition and are a good price?

Bruce

#29 8 years ago

Hmm...never played Lady Luck but it looks interesting. Some saucers, lane return, rollover. Tuffy...I'll wait for someone else to comment on it that's played it.

#30 8 years ago

I haven't played either but I'd take the Lady Luck for the simple fact it has two inch flippers.

#31 8 years ago

I haven't played LL but my buddy on here, BCGameGuide, just picked one up. Maybe he can comment on LL's gameplay. I'll drop him a PM and let him know about this thread and recent line of questioning.

Just personal preference, I'd side with the 3 inch flippers. Seems like with LL you'd have a really difficult time getting it back up to the top of the pf. I know I know, probably not designed to do so, but it just gives you less to shoot for IMO. I'd be interested to hear O-din's alternate opinion on 2-inch flipper gameplay.

I've really enjoyed my time on Swinger (obviously).

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'd be interested to hear O-din's alternate opinion on 2-inch flipper gameplay.

14 out of 16 of my EMs have short flippers and those are the ones that get the most play. All the other three inch EMs have gone away. The short flipper experience is just so far superior to long flipper play that that is all I will get from now on.

As far as making it up the playfield I now have two inch flippers on my Judge Dredd and it has no problem making any of the ramps.

#33 8 years ago

Interesting feedback guys. One feature about the LL is it's a blackjack game which makes it pretty unique and it's a 2 inch flipper game.

The fact most visitors prefer 2 inch flippers is a pretty strong recommendation by Odin.

You guys are right about 2 and 3 inch flippers gameplay. Will have to take that in consideration too!

Without having played either game I'll have to read the ipdb ratings, watch YouTube game play action and compare production numbers and go with your feedbacks on the games.

Maybe I should start a LL vs Swinger thread?

Bruce

#34 8 years ago

You could always put two inch flippers on swinger.

#35 8 years ago

Another point to consider is about the same time they went to three inch flippers they also started using chimes instead of bells and I do like the sound of Williams bells.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I haven't played LL but my buddy on here, BCGameGuide, just picked one up. Maybe he can comment on LL's gameplay. I'll drop him a PM and let him know about this thread and recent line of questioning.
Just personal preference, I'd side with the 3 inch flippers. Seems like with LL you'd have a really difficult time getting it back up to the top of the pf. I know I know, probably not designed to do so, but it just gives you less to shoot for IMO. I'd be interested to hear O-din's alternate opinion on 2-inch flipper gameplay.
I've really enjoyed my time on Swinger (obviously).

YEP! Just picked it up. I'll put some time on it and then get back with you all (and possibly with a video).

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You could always put two inch flippers on swinger.

Hmmm...

Quoted from o-din:

Another point to consider is about the same time they went to three inch flippers they also started using chimes instead of bells and I do like the sound of Williams bells.

A valid point to consider. I also agree about the three inch flippers except some games DO play very well with them. Quick Draw and other drop target games for example.

Quoted from marcand:

I'll put some time on it and then get back with you all (and possibly with a video).

Looking forward to it! I've watched youtube videos of the LL and read the IPDB reviews but would like to hear more about the game itself.

I'm leaning towards the LL, not only because I don't think the Swinger plays well with three inch flippers but also because I'd have to pay "double" for the Swinger with having to pay for the BG and shipping.

Btw, quick poll on four games. Which game would you guys rate in order from 1-4 and why?

Wms Blue Chip 1p
Bly Bon Voyage 1p
Wms Lady Luck 2p
Wms Swinger 2p

As always thanks for your feedback guys. Much appreciated!
Bruce

#38 8 years ago

I had both the Blue Chip and the Bon Voyage and both were great games in their own right. But as more two inch flipper games arrived I had to make space somehow and you know how that goes...

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

and you know how that goes...

I do know how that goes... and I'm guessing you would rate the LL first with Swinger last from your feedback, including two and three inch flippers? (I added a poll to this topic)

Bruce

#40 8 years ago

Since I haven't played LL or Swinger it is hard for me to give you an honest opinion. As much as I like two inch flippers, I also like swinging targets so my advice is find a Heat Wave (although I have not played that one either).

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I also like swinging targets so my advice is find a Heat Wave

Good recommendation. Will look at that title because I like swinging targets too.

I've also decided to start a new thread for the poll. (I don't see a way to "drain" the poll linked with this topic...darn)

#42 8 years ago

An update:

The Swinger is out after looking at pictures of it again (haven't seen it in person) and seeing how much "pink" there is in it. Plus I'd have to pay $300+ for a BG and shipping on top of buying the game itself whereas the Lady Luck already has a BG.

I'm looking forward to the report from Ryan's buddy, BCGameGuide on his new LL because the "blackjack" theme seems very interesting...

Thanks all!
Bruce

#43 8 years ago

Ha-ha! There is a LOT of pink on that playfield. ...and apron. ...and ball arch. ...and...

I have a feeling you'll enjoy the Lady Luck (it sounds like that's the direction you're leaning). Lots of luck with the purchase, Bruce!

Ryan

#44 8 years ago

Personal opinion - based on my game play experience...
Swinger is kind of ugly, but I really like the game. I'd walk if I had to buy a glass though. Well, it was a game from my childhood, so I bought a game with a marginal glass, bought a new one, so I'm a little biased.

That puts Lady Luck in first. There is an adrenalin rush trying to get 21 or beat the dealer. Tough at times, but given you can win on any ball by getting 21, there's always a challenge.

I've never been a fan of Blue Chip or Bon Voyage. They both seem blah. They did to me when new, and still do today. Almost like they were filler when introduced. Some really like Bon Voyage. Anyone have love for Blue Chip?

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

That puts Lady Luck in first. There is an adrenalin rush trying to get 21 or beat the dealer. Tough at times, but given you can win on any ball by getting 21, there's always a challenge.

Thanks FrankJ, that's a good recommendation and I'm leaning towards the Lady Luck too. Sounds like you've personally played the Blue Chip and Bon Voyage too.

Bruce

#46 8 years ago

I know BGresto.com has the artwork for Swinger. I gave him the glass to scan. He does have it. I have a Funfest that they did re-did the glass for too.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I know BGresto.com has the artwork for Swinger.

Even then, both games are almost the same cost but with the Swinger I'd have to pay for the BG plus shipping.

Btw I am thinking maybe when I have the resources to do it, I'll get a Swinger and retheme it too. That way I would get the fun gameplay without having to look at the PINK!

Bruce

#48 8 years ago

That way I would get the fun gameplay without having to look at the PINK!

The pink on my arch and the wood side rails was badly faded, so I repainted them. Nice and pink now!

#49 8 years ago

Sorry I am so slow to get the vid/pics up! Been trying to cram a lot of "summer" into a few days. But I got something pretty cool with my Lady Luck: an owner's manual! I'll be scanning it and trying to get it to ipdb.org (since they don't have one). But for now, here is the layout page and rule set!

Playfield.pdfPlayfield.pdf

Ruleset.pdfRuleset.pdf

#50 8 years ago

Whelp...Sorry the rule page is upside down (I don't want to trash my book to cram it into the scanner). Just save that picture and rotate the file yourself. Saving the PDF does not preserve the orientation...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-backglass-availability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.