(Topic ID: 151662)

Williams Suspense repaired & repainted - some tips, some photos.

By 4Max

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2881_(resized).JPG
IMG_2867_(resized).jpg
IMG_2865_(resized).jpg
IMG_2878_(resized).JPG
IMG_2877_(resized).JPG
IMG_2875_(resized).JPG
IMG_2811_(resized).jpg
IMG_2795_(resized).jpg
IMG_2870_(resized).jpg
IMG_2745_(resized).jpg
IMG_2741_(resized).jpg
1016_(resized).jpg
014_(resized).jpg
013_(resized).jpg
012_(resized).jpg
1020_(resized).jpg

#1 8 years ago

Just finished my Williams Suspense and thought I would upload a few photos and share a couple of things I did different.

First some shots of how I bought the machine. Pretty dirty but nothing too worn. Someone had changed the flippers around (small ones should be on the outside). See later for why I think they did that. Also did not want to plug in as power cord looked very dodgy.
1020_(resized).jpg1020_(resized).jpg1019_(resized).jpg1019_(resized).jpg012_(resized).jpg012_(resized).jpg013_(resized).jpg013_(resized).jpg014_(resized).jpg014_(resized).jpg1016_(resized).jpg1016_(resized).jpg

While the cabinet was not too bad, I wanted to try something new. I have repainted one cabinet before (Kings and Queens) using stencils, but this time I thought I would make my own. Also, I liked the idea of getting back to that vibrant pink seen behind the legs!

Once again much thanks to Boilerman for advice on this. I used his approach for the stencils http://www.misterart.com/architecture-drafting/drafting/films/film-rolls/grafix-clear-lay-plastic-film.html at 0.05 thickness.

First step was priming (note, next time I'm taking Boilerman's advice for a sealer on the bare wood - it sucks up the primer!) and base coat; Rustoleum now do some satin colors, so I used lemon grass for the base. I then used the tried and tested Loew Cornell speckling brush plus this for the sliver splatter http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7715730-Protective-Enamel-Aluminum/dp/B000C026NM
(Boilerman again!)
After some practice, I was pleased with the result.
IMG_2741_(resized).jpgIMG_2741_(resized).jpg
Then the stencils with lots of old tools holding them down.
IMG_2745_(resized).jpgIMG_2745_(resized).jpg
Again Rustoleum satins for the two colors; Magenta and Wildflower Blue. I applied the blue a little too thick on the stencils that had smaller gaps (the hands on the front) - next time lighter coats! Cleaned it up so it looked ok. This piciture gives a better view of the splatter (note lovely new door bolts - tried cleaning the old rusty ones, but after 2 gave up and bought them from PBR!
IMG_2870_(resized).jpgIMG_2870_(resized).jpg

Some pics of the completed cabinet at the bottom of this thread, but now on to the playfield. Main difference this time is I tried a product I have seen others praise, Krud Kutter. And I, for one, am a convert. I have used ME before but find it too harsh. KK got the playfield super clean with no damage, followed up with Novus2 and then Johnsons wax. Very happy with the results:

Reminder of before:
IMG_2795_(resized).jpgIMG_2795_(resized).jpg
After
IMG_2811_(resized).jpgIMG_2811_(resized).jpg

I replaced power cord, installed a new switch (previous one bypassed and broken), the odd coil bracket (including the Hold relay which I managed to snap the plastic bit holding the switches! Nothing too major that a decent order from PBR could not fix, including rebuild pop bumpers (inc new caps).

I set about switching the flippers positions around, and realized why they probably did this..the set screws would not hold them in the right place due to previous wear. I addressed this by purchasing these from home depot
IMG_2875_(resized).JPGIMG_2875_(resized).JPG
here they are fitted.
IMG_2877_(resized).JPGIMG_2877_(resized).JPG

Put all the screws, shooter rod, etc (and leg bolts) in the $30 HF tumbler - always pleased with those results!

New rubber, cleaned plastics (Novus2) replaced bulbs, etc:
IMG_2878_(resized).JPGIMG_2878_(resized).JPG
Printer new Instruction cards - used the trick I read here of printing the yellow background as well (I used RGB of 252,242,200)

That just leaves legs after some wire wool and new levellers (PBR), clean glass and here we are:
IMG_2865_(resized).jpgIMG_2865_(resized).jpgIMG_2867_(resized).jpgIMG_2867_(resized).jpgIMG_2881_(resized).JPGIMG_2881_(resized).JPG

The game has some pretty cool features, my favorites being:

1. The 5 thumper bumpers!
2. The captive ball spinner - especially as the score motors runs while it spins, which makes it sound like a countdown. (Although this feature does all add time waiting the for ball to land)
3. Flippers are interesting: half press activates just the closest 2" flipper. Full press activates closest 2" and both 3"
4. Bonus stay on for next player at ball drain.

So, time to play. I have reached my 'er-in-doors limit of machines so have to choose one to sell. Tricky. May just take my time on that decision.

Hope someone found some of this useful. Its fairly cathartic for me to write this!

#2 8 years ago

I owned a Suspense. The artwork grew on me. But the game beat the snot out of me.
You've completed an excellent restoration!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 8 years ago

very nice! you will be giving restoration advice after this one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 3.00
Cabinet - Other
Custom 3D Printing Pre-order!
Twisted Tokens
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-suspense-repaired-repainted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.