(Topic ID: 222198)

Williams Suspense--looks interesting, is it fun?

By Agent_Hero

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

I owned a William's Suspense for about a decade. Cool game, and I really like the artwork. Game-wise, it's a decent game. I wouldn't say it's excellent, but it's fun. The Roulette wheel is activated by shooting the ball into either kickout hole on the left or right of the playfield (there are also nearly vertical slingshots right below them), and the "spin when lit" outlanes behind the 2 inch flippers. Those lights alternate with the 10 point relay along with the upper rollovers.

The game has some decent feeling shots, and flipper control is actually quite nice for it's time. The flippers are staged, so you can activate only the white 2 inch flippers on the outside by pressing the flipper buttons in halfway, or a full press of either button activates all 3 flippers on that particular side (and won't activate the far end 2 inch flipper). A clever player with fine control can actually control each half completely as if it were a normal flipper setup.

The goal is to light "A" and "B," and doing so lights either kickout hole (and flashes alternatively with the 10 point relay) for an extra ball. Lighting A and B also lights additional pop bumpers for 10 points instead of 1. Another neat feature is that each pop bumper is individually controlled--each has it's own relay that activates it, unlike newer games where 2 pop bumpers are activated at the same time to save on wiring. The real key to success though is building the bonus with the two center standup targets (one above the pops and one below). The bonus is not scored at the end of each ball, and can only be scored when the roulette wheel lands on a collect bonus or double bonus. You can set the game to either reset the bonus after each game, or have it carry over from game to game. The game is a shooters game, but also relies on luck to land a hearty bonus payout.

For 1969, and for a multiplayer, there's quite a bit to do on it. I've always liked it. I think the game's biggest fault for me was that it is a symmetrical playfield. I'm not a huge fan of symmetrical playfields. I sold mine 3 or so years ago, but I think I'd buy it back if given the chance. The best moments of the game are when you're playing a two player game, and your opponent is winning by several hundred points, but you drained your last ball down a "spin when lit" outlane, and you both watch the roulette wheel spin to see if you'll get the bonus or double bonus to bring home the win.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-suspense-looks-interesting-is-it-fun?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.