D8606104-A725-4136-9215-AC85C93F2C64 (resized).jpeg
778A9AB1-83D6-416B-814D-5076092FFA66 (resized).jpeg
EE28B96A-0277-4D78-BDE7-2A693612F3BF (resized).jpeg
Williams stepper arm (resized).jpg
IMG_0251 (resized).jpg
00ED799F-71C3-46A9-B3F7-935C5214AC36 (resized).jpeg
Williams Suspense (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I finally got this machine in and it's my first Williams. There's a few fried coils and other parts that need replacement so I'm ordering that stuff now. There is a one-chime unit in the head made out of wood and it seems that is original to the machine from the little bit of research I've done so far. There's also a 3.5" bell in the head. Can someone confirm that this is the original chime/bell arrangement? In the '71-72 Williams parts manual it shows a chime box (B-6598) and says it is common to all games. If this arrangement is original then it's an interesting one with a combo of a bell and a chime but it does seem odd that there's only 2 notes so I may install a GTB chime unit which brings me to my next question. Can I jump off of the 10 point unit solenoid for example to provide a third tone?
Thanks very much.

Williams Suspense (resized).jpgWilliams Suspense (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

They did put that style chime box in some heads. I always call it the "shuffle alley chime box" because it is basically the single chime used in all shuffle alleys with chimes. The first time I saw one in the head of a Williams pinball machine is was like "what the heck" but they did use that in a few titles.

Williams did also use a 3 chime set up similar to Gottlieb & you can normally find those for about 1/2 the price of a Gottlieb if you need to buy a 3 chime assembly. As far as how to wire it I'll let someone else field that one.

#3 6 years ago

What you have is indeed the original bell and chime setup for Suspense.

As an aside, do you happen to have a copy of the manual? Jay from IPDB was looking for a scan of one to document there. I sold my game before I could make scans.

#4 6 years ago

Here's a similar chime/bell arrangement from a Cue-T courtesy of IPDB: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=611&picno=33872

Looking at the Expo schematic on IPDB (made the same year), the bell gets fired by the 10 point and 100 point relays, but it looks like the 1 point relay just advances the Match unit. Without a schematic it's hard to know how your bell and chime are wired. But generally the point relays (1 point, 10 points, 100 points, etc.) each have their own switch to fire a bell or chime. The 10 and 100 point relay switches on Expo are wired in parallel so either one can fire the bell. If yours has point relay switches wired in parallel you could reroute one to fire a new chime instead. Or you could add a new switch to the relay you want to fire the new chime.

In theory you could wire a new chime solenoid in parallel with one of the point relay coils but I wouldn't recommend it because it would put a lot more current through the existing switch contacts. The manufacturers didn't wire relays and coils in parallel much; they probably had a good reason.

/Mark

#5 6 years ago

00ED799F-71C3-46A9-B3F7-935C5214AC36 (resized).jpeg00ED799F-71C3-46A9-B3F7-935C5214AC36 (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago

thanks for all the replies, that's some good info for me to go on. i've finished going through the pin for a second time and didn't see any obvious issues other than a broken switch blade on the bottom of the cab and extremely hard to move stepper units thanks to solidified grease. the other thing i did notice is a small metal part that fits in between a stepper solenoid plunger and the arm it articulates with. it looks like it sort of cradles the arm and makes for a better fit between the plunger and arm and is what the tip of the pen is pointing to and a few are missing. anyone know what these are called?

@mbaumle-i have a copy of the manual on the way and I'll get in touch with Jay and see what he needs

IMG_0251 (resized).jpgIMG_0251 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

the other thing i did notice is a small metal part that fits in between a stepper solenoid plunger and the arm it articulates with. it looks like it sort of cradles the arm and makes for a better fit between the plunger and arm and is what the tip of the pen is pointing to. anyone know what these are called?

That's part of the drive arm for the stepper. Flaps on the end are bent over, probably to reduce wear between the arm and the plunger. Here's an example from the parts catalog:

Williams stepper arm (resized).jpgWilliams stepper arm (resized).jpg

/Mark

#8 6 years ago

thanks for posting that and that’s the part I was talking about. the bottom coil’s drive arm doesn’t show that part so I guess some don’t have it.

#9 6 years ago

Latest is that I’ve removed and cleaned all the stepper units (some would not rotate at all from solidified grease), removed most of the parts from the playfield and cleaned it, and just received 3 coils to replace burned/shorted ones. Also ordered a backglass from bgresto which will ship with a Capersville bg I ordered awhile back for my neglected Capersville resto.
I liked the Williams style of horizontally placed switch stacks in the cab-makes for much better access as opposed to having switches on top of each other.
Received the owner’s manual which is the first em manual I’ve owned. Lots of great adjustment info and maintenance/lubrication data.

1 week later
#10 6 years ago

Obtained a GTB chime box, rebuilt it and wired it in but I kept the 1 point bell in the back box functional. Originally, this machine had two sounds-the 1 point bell and 1 small chime that was used for both 10 and 100 points. I isolated the switch in parallel so now 10 and 100 point scores each have their own chime. I did notice there is a high pitched ringing that accompanies each chime that sorta sustains for a bit. Anyone know how to mitigate this? It’s not unique to this machine, my Dimension does it too and it may be because I’ve been hearing chimes all afternoon with the playfield and coin door open that it seems more significant on this machine. I also measured the 1 point bell switch on it’s relay and was getting 30 (should be 24)volts so maybe the striker is hitting the bars to hard.
This pin sits on a wood floor so I made these feet out of sapele wood and sheet acrylic.

EE28B96A-0277-4D78-BDE7-2A693612F3BF (resized).jpegEE28B96A-0277-4D78-BDE7-2A693612F3BF (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#11 5 years ago

Just came in from bgresto.

778A9AB1-83D6-416B-814D-5076092FFA66 (resized).jpeg778A9AB1-83D6-416B-814D-5076092FFA66 (resized).jpeg

D8606104-A725-4136-9215-AC85C93F2C64 (resized).jpegD8606104-A725-4136-9215-AC85C93F2C64 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-suspense-chime-box?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.