• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Star Game Over power switch (resized).jpg
Super Star Game Over trip relay (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I didn't think this would be a difficult problem to diagnose and fix, but the solution has eluded me so far.

Game was purchased in ratty condition, but after cleaning/adjustments I had it working perfectly. Then when I turned it on last week, it kept sending balls into the shooter lane after the game was supposed to be over. (The game over light is not coming on, but scoring does function with the rogue balls.)

I checked the ball count stepper unit in the backbox--everything seems good. I checked the game over interlock relay, everything seems good--although I noted that I could manually end the game by releasing the trip latch on the game over relay. Looking at the Williams manual, I noted that the trip circuit on the game over relay receives energy from three other relays--the game, outhole, and ball index relays--so I checked them also. All seem fine.

Before I start going through everything else in a semi-blind manner, has anybody else experienced this with this (or similar) machine?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 1 year ago

The circuit to fire the Game Over trip relay at the end of the game goes through three switches and the Ball Count stepper in red:
Super Star Game Over trip relay (resized).jpgSuper Star Game Over trip relay (resized).jpg
If the Ball Release solenoid works after the ball drains the Outhole relay switch is probably good. If the Ball Count works during the game the Ball Index relay switch is probably good. That leaves the Score Motor 1-A switch and the Ball Count Stepper as likely culprits.

"Seems good" probably isn't good enough. You need to prove that a device is working before dismissing it as a possible culprit.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Thank you Mark--as always.

#4 1 year ago

I had a similar odd problem with a "Super Star" just last week.
As soon as the toggle switch under the game was turned on, the score reels would reset (the game remaining dark). I noticed that if I manually tripped the "game relay" first, it wouldn't do it.
I did not have a schematic, and was about to ask for help here, but I cleaned all the switches on the game relay, and game over relay again. Now the game relay trips as it should, and the issue is fixed.

3 months later
#5 1 year ago

interesting update here. with ball 5 drained and game over illuminated, game still spits out a ball to play and you can score and use flippers. if i turn the cabinet switch off underneith and turn it back on, all lights (playfield and head) are off but the flippers and playfield switches/targets are still active, even with all lights off....somehow it seeems anytime the cabinet switch is on, the playfield is live (sometimes with lights, sometimes without).

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

with ball 5 drained and game over illuminated, game still spits out a ball to play and you can score and use flippers.

Most games have a switch or two along the power rail from the transformer that cuts power to most of the game after Game Over. Here are Super Star's switches:
Super Star Game Over power switch (resized).jpgSuper Star Game Over power switch (resized).jpg
If the switch in the red box doesn't open power will get to the flippers and other parts of the game after game over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-super-star-keeps-serving-up-balls-after-game-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.