P_20170518_165454 (resized).jpg
P_20170518_165505 (resized).jpg
P_20170518_165511 (resized).jpg
P_20170518_165447 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Detail - Aufkleberdicke (resized).jpg
Detail - Aufkleber groß (resized).jpg
Nachher - Flipperfinger gesamt (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nycon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

After a year or so of absence from this hobby and this forum, due to unforseen family problems that I had to deal with, I am back and looking forward to contibute to this forum again.

Slightly over two months ago I finally purchased a STTNG, which is one of the few machines that I really looked up to owning, and I really enjoy playing it. There were, however, a few tiny details that I really dislike in the overall very carefully and beautifully designed machine: The blank metal ball popper housings (how exactly are they called in english?) on the left and right side of the playfield.

Hence I designed custom decals in a brushed-aluminum style that I thought fits the overall theme of the machine. While I was at it I made a few more decals for places that I liked to add to.

The decals are engraved into the material (not printed!), which gives them a very nice look and touch. The decals are thin but extremely durable and even stick perfectly to the curved sufaces. Of course they can be removed without tearing and leaving any traces whatsoever.

This is the result of my work:
Detail - Aufkleber groß (resized).jpgDetail - Aufkleber groß (resized).jpgDetail - Aufkleberdicke (resized).jpgDetail - Aufkleberdicke (resized).jpg

Left popper (Front decal on large popper housing applied slightly skewed -oops)
Nachher - Auswurf links 3 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf links 3 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf links 2 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf links 2 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf link 1 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf link 1 (resized).jpg
5 stickers: Left and right side of small ball popper housing, square top plate of small ball popper housing as well as front and side of large ball popper housing

Right popper
Nachher - Auswurf rechts 1 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf rechts 1 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf rechts 2 (resized).jpgNachher - Auswurf rechts 2 (resized).jpg
3 stickers: Left & right side, curved middle part

Ramps + Loop:
Nachher - Spinner (resized).jpgNachher - Spinner (resized).jpgNachher - Delta Quadrant (resized).jpgNachher - Delta Quadrant (resized).jpgNachher - Beta Quadrant (resized).jpgNachher - Beta Quadrant (resized).jpg
5 stickers: Left loop & 2x spinner, beta & delta quadrant

Apron
Nachher - Apron links (resized).jpgNachher - Apron links (resized).jpgNachher - Apron rechts (resized).jpgNachher - Apron rechts (resized).jpg
2 stickers: Left and right side

Flipper bats
Nachher - Flipperfinger gesamt (resized).jpgNachher - Flipperfinger gesamt (resized).jpg
3 Stickers, one for each bat, with small round part in the middle that is cut separately to fit onto the existing protruding williams logo. The third sticker for the upper right bat reads "Galaxy Class", as seen in on of the previous photos.

If some of you guys are interested, please let me know. I can make more of these (complete sets only) and am willing and able ship internationally. I have finished a batch of these for a German pinball forum and the pinheads are extremely happy with their decals. As a reference, you can have a look at the thread over there (maybe using google translate): http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=182992

If you are interested, please let me know by either posting here or sending me a direct message.

I have offered another pinball part here on pinside a few years back (clear diverter for JM, see here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-johnny-mnemonic-clear-matrix-ramp-diverter) very cheaply, but problems with cheap (=uninsured) international shipping (lost/damaged parcels/months of shipping time) resulted in one or two pinheads not recieving the part. I am very sorry for this, but can promise that this will not happen again. Due to the nature of the decals, being pretty small and flat, shipping in a padded envelope is possible, which should speed up the shipment processes and reduce risk of damage.

#7 7 years ago

@Zitt: Sounds interesting. I will contact you tomorrow as I have to leave for an appointment right now.

#18 7 years ago

Thank you guys for the support and Zitt for making things easier for all of us.

If anyone of you guys from the US or Canada wants a set, please contact Zitt directly. For all other regions I still am the right guy to talk to. Otherwise just leave a comment here that you are interested and either Zitt or I will get back to you asap.

1 week later
#31 6 years ago

@pahuffman: As you might be able to see the decal in the photo is mounted somewhat askew as well. I was a bit too lazy and did not remove the other VUK in front, or the big one, which would have made correct placing the decal much easier. I can place the decal on my large VUK (with the back on, so it is not sticking on immediately) well over the visible welding points. You might, however, end up with slightly different spacing between the outer side of the decal and the outer edge of the VUK, as there seem to be at least two versions out there, as I had to adjust the size down as two guys from the German forum reported that the decals were slightly too large for the metal parts they found in their machine. I visited on of them and took measurements. Hence I decided to ship out decals that fit on every machine without having to be cut for size-adjustment later on.

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

Sorry for being "off radar" for a week, but everything went a little haywire here. We had an unexpected death and a stomach cancer diagnosis in the family, both in one week. All in all that was a little bit too much and I had to prioritize, family first, always. I can only ask for your understanding in this situation.

Zitt's sets are almost completed and will either ship Monday. Same goes for jorro's.

The most recent posts on the German forum concern two people mentioning that the flipper bat decals are too large for the bats they have installed. This strikes me as odd, as all my machines have the same size bats (74mm / 2,91 inches).

3 weeks later
#57 6 years ago

@jorro/@knockerlover: Glad you guys like them. Nice to see someone using the flipper bat decals too, apparently not everybody likes them. I sold a number of sets through a German forum and a few of the peoble there reported that their flipper bats are shorter than the decals, which got me a bit worried that I have wrong bats in my machine.

@thewool: I have sent you a PM right after I saw your post.

@PTHermes: Keep them safe where you can find them. There is something else in the pipeline that you might want in the near future

The material used is a thin two-ply plastic about 8mil thick (0,2 milimeters in non-imperial units). The upper layer of the plastic is removed by a laser process, exposing the bottom layer. Hence the two colors (brushed silver of the top layer, black of the bottom one). Far superior in look and feel than any printing can do.

Shipping to everywhere besides the US is handled by me, so just let me know. Right now I am on a much needed vacation, so response times may vary. I will be back in about a week though.

Cheers
Christian

2 weeks later
#72 6 years ago

A few more for this batch than for the first. I do not know how many of you already signed up with Zitt, but I would guess this should be sufficient for at least another week of orders

STTNG Decals Batch2 (resized).jpgSTTNG Decals Batch2 (resized).jpg

#74 6 years ago

The sets will be shipped out to Zitt on Monday as the post office is already closed for the weekend.

2 weeks later
#82 6 years ago

Thank you guys for your feedback on the product.

One reason I, and therefore also Zitt, have to sell this for a higher price than printed decals is again due to two main reasons:
1.) The material is very high quality and durable. It costs about 35 times as much per sheet as high quality sticker vinyl usually used for these kind of applications. But then again you could never get a convincins "silver brushed"-look by normal printing processes that do not involve special colors such as gold or silver.
2.) The decals are not printed but laser engraved. This is a process that takes time and requires equipment significantly more expensive than medium or large format photo printers/plotters that can be used for smaller decal sets.

3 weeks later
#85 6 years ago

Postage to Australia and almost any international destination with tracking and insurance is about 7€ (~10AU$). I will send you a PM shortly.

6 months later
#88 6 years ago

newmanoconnor

Thank you for the nice feedback. It is nice to see that a silly saturday-afternoon-idea can find its way around the globe

2 months later
#92 5 years ago

horseflesh The material is made by a company here in Germany, but there are other distibutors of two-ply plastics around. Rowmark sells similar material in the US. However, I do not know if they sell material this thin, my Rowmark Sample Booklet does not contain anything less than 1/16th inch thick. Other than that I cannot name a company on your side of the pond. But beware: These are not suitable for lasers with glass-type tubes, as they sometimes sponateously generate a low-power beam in between actual pulses, this shows on this material (and this material only, as far as my experience goes). So be sure to use a laser equipped with a RF-type laser tube or test carefully. See the attached image for the dots on the material. This phenomenon is NOT seen on acrylics or wood.

GlassTube (resized).jpgGlassTube (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 63.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nycon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sttng-mod-for-ball-popper-housings-and-other-parts?tu=Nycon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.