(Topic ID: 102770)

Williams Strike Master WPC Sound Board

By dragster73

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sound Board 002.JPG
    Sound Board 001.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Can someone please tell me if U10 and U11 (Yamaha Sound Ships) are populated on this game?

#2 9 years ago

The red WMS parts manual has a section specifically on Shuffle Alley boards, and it indicates that yes, they do, use the Yamaha ICs

#3 9 years ago

I've asked this question before but no one has answered. I know how to turn off Attract Mode in diagnostics but on Strike Master it doesn't turn it off. I have it set as NO but it still says that annoying "oh strike master". Any other ideas on how to turn it off. Am I missing something?

Larry

#4 9 years ago

Larry, it could be something as simple as a bug in the software. I know T2 doesn't turn off *all* the attract mode sounds, yet it has that setting in the diagnostics.

Do you have the L-4 ROM in your Strikemaster? If not, I'd be glad to burn a set and test them in my fixture to see if the attract mode sounds off works...

#5 9 years ago

John, yes I have the L-4 ROM. Its probably just a bug but wanted to check to see if I was confused.

#6 9 years ago

Flipnout1 Does your sound board have these two chips populate? They are socketed.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from dragster73:

Flipnout1 Does your sound board have these two chips populate? They are socketed.

Yes both are populated.

Larry

1 week later
    #8 9 years ago

Larry,

I just picked up a strike master and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get some sound out of it.. My audio pcb doesn't have the Yamaha and small chip (both empty sockets) but it also doesn't look like they were ever there.. All sound roms are there.. I even swapped out a sound pcb from my bride of Pinbot (swapped roms too) and I'm getting nothing.. All connectors have been tested..

Thanks for any help.. If you could post a pic of your sound pcb that would rule!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Local413:

Larry,
    I just picked up a strike master and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get some sound out of it.. My audio pcb doesn't have the Yamaha and small chip (both empty sockets) but it also doesn't look like they were ever there.. All sound roms are there.. I even swapped out a sound pcb from my Bride of Pinbot (swapped roms too) and I'm getting nothing.. All connectors have been tested..
    Thanks for any help.. If you could post a pic of your sound pcb that would rule!

Will do later tonight

#10 9 years ago

Awesome.. Thank u!

I've read that some people's strike masters have both sockets populated and others say they are empty.. So I'm a bit confused.

#11 9 years ago

Ok took the pic last night and then realized I took the pic of the dot matrix controller. Duh so I retook the pic this morning. Sorry its not better but my game is in the corner and I have to stand on the rails to take a picture so I would have liked to remove the ribbon cables to give a better view but its not easy to get in there and I'm still not awake so NEED more coffee.
    Sound Board 001.JPGSound Board 001.JPG
    Sound Board 002.JPGSound Board 002.JPG

4 years later
    #12 5 years ago

The Yamaha synthesizer sound chip set are not used in "Strike Master" and "League Champ" and are not populated from the factory. They use the DAC chip for menu sounds (which is why you hear it faster and higher-pitched than normal) and the speech chip to play back speech and sound effects. Nothing more. What you see in the photo is a substitute board from a WPC pinball game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-strike-master-wpc-sound-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.