1470195302986-1395327867_(resized).jpg
1_strato_bonus_e.o.s._sw._(resized).JPG
Wms_Bonus_unit-_(resized).JPG
2??_advance_re._(resized).PNG
1??adv.re.___to__bonus_s._u._coil_sch._circ._(resized).PNG
2?_lock_re._g.o._re._@_13_-_c_-_f_(resized).PNG
1?_lock_re._layout_(resized).PNG
#1 7 years ago

have been tinkering with a williams strato flite ,when credit button is pushed the scores reset, score motor turns and then it goes right into game over and then lock switch disengages . not sure if this helps but if i unplug the larger of the two jones plugs,the 22 pin plug, from underneath the playfield, i can push a credit button the scores reset and it sets to play,first player score lights and ball in play lite 1 is lit ,however of course nothing else is working ,if i hit credit button again player unit fires and 2 player lite illuminates .I cleaned all the switched and adjusted .also it wont let me manually trip game over switch to play a game .
thanks any help is greatly appreciated

#2 7 years ago

Does it cycle through the balls, or it just goes STRAIGHT to game over instead?

#3 7 years ago

im almost positive it just goes to game over
and sometimes the "1" light of ball in play is illuminated too

#4 7 years ago

Ok lets try this.
With the playfield up , jones un-plugged.
Trip the relays on that long reset bank ( all of them ) manually under the playfield this will help isolate the short you are getting then turn on the pin , reset game like you had done , carefully as its HOT now , put the jones plug back in and reset manually each relay on that bank as though its resetting a game but just one at a time...
See if it pops to game over. Results ?
Sometimes a short will go to game over and not pop a fuse.....

Ps. On the relays use a glass stick or popsicle stick to trip / reset em`.

#5 7 years ago

ok that makes sense i see what you are trying to do ,ok ill try it tonite when i get back home after work if its not too late ,i was wondering how to further isolate the problem
thanks ill get back to you

#6 7 years ago

Ok did what you suggested .plugged in jones plug but before i could reset any switches it went to game over and the lock relay released
How can i furthsr isolate the short . When i plug it in halfway that is make contact with about the lower r pairs of pins i can get the flippers to work and some playfield functions whe i slowly plug the rest in i vet a good spark from i think the 6th pin from the bottom of the plug .on the left side tbat is when i am looking at the plug from the coin door ,or front of the pin

#7 7 years ago

Ok this should be the fix.

1?_lock_re._layout_(resized).PNG1?_lock_re._layout_(resized).PNG

See how the lock re. is in this sch. circuit snip #2▼. When the lock relay is activated it should go from a N.C. state to a open state when activated as seen in the lock re. snip #1▲. Check the gap on it .....

2?_lock_re._g.o._re._@_13_-_c_-_f_(resized).PNG2?_lock_re._g.o._re._@_13_-_c_-_f_(resized).PNG

#8 7 years ago

OK tried the above ,didn't work when I hit reset score motor runs then instantly goes to game over then lock switch releases it does this instantly after motor resets ,I made sure the lock relay switch was open and couldn't trip the game over and instead a bonus unit solenoid stayed powered on and a fuse blew ,
I replaced the fuse and then unsoldered the two thicker yellow clothe covered wires from the 6th pin on the left row,could ting from the front of the Jones plug with 22 pins on it ,this plug is located in the cabinet itself. Hit credit button and game would reset ,hit button again and would go to 2 player game,but the only thing that worked was the kickout hole,and flippers ,nothing else on playfield functions. I then manually operated the bonus unit ,bonus lights lit and instantly blew ,then I manually triggered the switches on the switch bank appropriate lights lit and blew ,finally I manually activated the outhole switch by depressing the wire like the ball would do when it drains,and the one solenoid on the bonus unit was activated but wouldnt release,also the solenoid to kick out ball to shooting lane didn't fire.
The other nite when I would partially plug in the jones plug some playfield features would work rollovers outlane wire roll overs flippers and they would score ,but not pop bumpers or the standup targets, Any ideas ?
And thanks

#9 7 years ago

Sounds like something stuck on the play field?
have you checked everything on the play field?
seems like there is a short there somewhere.
just a guess.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

instead a bonus unit solenoid stayed powered on and a fuse blew ,

Ok now we can see the issue with more clarity.

Sounds like the Step up coil is stuck on, lets see what can keep it held in from the playfield.

Looks like if the Advance re. contacts were held together you would have the coil pull all the time.
Either its in the relay switch itself (closed contact) or a playfield switch(s) (closed contact) is holding it.

Seen here in this snip 1▼▲
1??adv.re.___to__bonus_s._u._coil_sch._circ._(resized).PNG1??adv.re.___to__bonus_s._u._coil_sch._circ._(resized).PNG

2??_advance_re._(resized).PNG2??_advance_re._(resized).PNG

Heading up line to the Adv re. we see what can lock that coil on. snip 2 ▼▲

Lets see if this gets it.

#11 7 years ago

Update i did find a closed switch on the playfield went over all of them
And tried it .i touched the one wire i disconnected from the plug (2wires are soldered to this same pin) and same thing quickly tripped game over relay then i toiched the other wire heard a buzz for 10 seconds or so couldnt find where it was comi g from then it stopped . Then i then touched the first wire again and nothing tripped . Reset game .rells go to zero back glass lights flippers work .but nothing else on playfield . Did i birn something up? Didnt smell like it .no smoke . Fuses checked good .or am i missing a fuse. Is this why pop bumpers or anything else on playfiield doesnt work anymore .
I see 2 fuses under playfield and 4 in cabinet
Was also wondering if i should trace the wires i insoldered and see if i can find any shorts and where it goes .or maybe the wire coming from the corresponding female receptacle on the plug.
Thought i had something there with the closed playfield contact but didn't work out.
Thanks for your patience with my problem appreciate it

#12 7 years ago

No prob. chk all the fuses.
dont think anything is burnt, just messed up.
sounds like it just isnt ready to start a game yet.

Quoted from jdapolito:

heard a buzz for 10 seconds or so

What exactly does that mean?
try to find where that buzz was comming from. put clip leads on the wires in question, to make them longer. then try it again, and try to find the buzzing coil.

#13 7 years ago

Just curious, did you visually inspect all of the PF coils and all the score unit coils to see if any of them are burned up? The symptoms you are having sounds like a classic shorted (fried) coil problem. Don't forget to check the chime coils, too.

When a PF scoring switch gets stuck on and is left on, that usually fries a score unit coil, a chime coil, or both.

- TimMe

#14 7 years ago

Ok ill check this .if the bonus unit coil.coils are shorted then they shouldnt fire .but they do . Right . And the chime unit has been removed by a previois owner . This machine hasnt worked in 15 years or more i was told and its just bugging me that i cant get it going .
Ill have a good look at the coils
Thanks

#15 7 years ago

OK the buzzing noise is coming from the lock relay ,gets very hot till I manually release it ,the plastic end with the solder lugs is broken just flops over ,otherwise with the wires mentioned earlier disconnected game will reset flippers work kickout out hole works and scores nothing else functions
Also if I manually close switch for outhole relay at drain the bonus relay engages and sticks even when the outhole switch at drain hole is released and the score motor motor buzes like it wants to move if I get it started manually it will turn and bonus relay releases

#16 7 years ago

Also if I reset game ,hit tilt relay or tilt with any of the tilt switches it dose tilt ,then I activate switch in drain hole switch score motor turns ,bonus unit zeroes if I manually advance it lights go on and ball advances to ball two,I can continue this process until ball five then one more time and it goes to game over as it should ,
Does this help at all,
Thanks
jim

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

if I manually close switch for outhole relay at drain the bonus relay engages and sticks even when the outhole switch at drain hole is released and the score motor motor buzes like it wants to move if I get it started manually it will turn and bonus relay releases

Ok, if the score motor is having trouble starting, look at those relays, maybe a switch on one of them starts the motor, but is burned, mis adjusted.???

Quoted from jdapolito:the buzzing noise is coming from the lock relay

if this is too loud, you can bend a switch on it to stay closed, not sure which one. and cut the single wire off of the coil. or repair the whole relay, either way.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

unsoldered the two thicker yellow clothe covered wires from the 6th pin on the left row,could ting from the front of the Jones plug with 22 pins on it

Thats the return ( yellow wire on jones ) path re - solder it back which is why it disables features on the playfield.

Now check / inspect the ( bonus step up sch. seen on top snip of my previous post ) i posted score motor path @ 6 - A contact ▬► zero position switch ▬► bonus step coil. NOTE * snip seen above before one step up!
$ on the zero switch....

#19 7 years ago

thanks very much for all this help ,just to clarify that buzzing of the lock relay only occurs when i re attach that one yellow wire to the pin
and when it buzzes it gets very hot ,otherwise if i leave this one wire unattached and reset game the relay locks stays locked ,no buzz and it doesn't get hot .
also the score motor moves fine unless i touch the outball switch below the drain under playfield ,then the bonus relay switch engages and stays engaged the score motor buzzes till i turn a score motor disc a little then the motor turns and bonus relay disengages ,also it goes to game over at this time
so as i think about it ,this only occurs when the bonus points would be scored ,since it doesnt occur when i tilt the machine and then activate outhole switch under drain
ok ill have another look at the bonus unit ,advance relay zero switch
and thanks again

#20 7 years ago

Little Strips of paper ( cheap too ) between contacts of suspected items ( disables that circuit and whats before or after it ) will help with diagnosing, saves fuses and when you pull the strips out one by one and it acts up then it has been narrowed down a bit too....

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

NOTE * snip seen above before one step up!

To that ^^ after one step-up it will open the zero switch contact....

#22 7 years ago

OK didn't go thru everything yet but I did disconnect a coil wire from the lock relay and manually have it closed ,I then re soldered the two wires I had removed from the pin on the jones plug powered it up,pressed credit button machine reset,smelled something burning ,it was the two wires going to the rectifier ,supplying the AC. I unplugged both ,.now everything works except the pop bumpers and slingshots, I know these are DC driven from the rectifier ,
If I plug one or the other back on the rectifier it has no effect but both will cause problems ,the I removed one set of wires the solid yellow that is one of the two AC set pairs of wires the eventually plug into the rectifier .if I touch either one back to its solder lug when the rectifier is all reconnected it shorts.
Finally I disconnected both the AC plugs from the rectifier , I then tried to jump some power to the bumpers to see what happens I took power from a bumper and outlane rollover ,with a lot of trial and error I got everything working at one point
But then after repeated activation of a pop bumper ( I couldn't help myself) the coil on the match unit stayed activated and wouldn't unpower so I disconnected all my jumper wires and shut off the machine.
So, could it be that the rectifier is bad ?
Since I did have everything working group for a while ,if there was a short in the bumper circuitry wouldn't it short when I used the jumper wires ?
And everything else on the game is working ,except bonus unit which only works with the top kick out hole which always works
Well I think I got a little further ,can play a complete game just no pop bumpers or slingshot
Any ideas ,and thanks for your help and patience
Jim

#23 7 years ago

Correction to the above when I jumped the pop bumpers I got power from a flipper coil to a popbumpercoil and a rollover switch in an outlane ,connecting them to the wires on a pop bumper contacats under playfield

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

pressed credit button machine reset,smelled something burning ,it was the two wires going to the rectifier ,supplying the AC.

From what you describe the fuse opens on the A.C. side ( 15 amp ) of the rectifier.

Quoted from jdapolito:

I unplugged both ,.now everything works except the pop bumpers and slingshots, I know these are DC driven from the rectifier

The A.c. side fuse sends power to the rectifier and if that were to short that should be the fault ,because when you disconnected the feed to the bridge rect. and it doesnt pop the A.C. 15a fuse it seems thats the culprit.

If the fuse on the D.C. side ( 10 amp ) of the circuit were to open up then you have a short in one of those components it powers , comprised of ( seen @ sch. 23 C - E ) → L & R kickers & L / R / C / jet bumpers.

More info on Shorted Williams Bridge rectifiers → Scroll down a bit. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#wrong

#25 7 years ago

sounds like a shorted rectifier. easy to replace, can go up in value, just not down. common problem.

#26 7 years ago

ok ill try it and let you know
thanks

#27 7 years ago

ok i put in the new rectifier and the slingshots and bumpers work
now the last problem is this:
the top kickout hole works fine advances bonus and scores
but if i hit the standup targets that are supposed to advance bonus they score but bonus doesn't advance ,the coil in the match unit engages and wont release ,the advance relay is activated,it sometimes scores , bonus unit doesnt fire ,and i hear a s light buzzing i think its from the score motor ,if i turn it a little it then completes a turn but no bonus advance
when i release the advance relay it all stops of coarse,
this also happens at times if i hit the pop bumper repeatedly
also if i activate the kickout hole everything stops ,coil releases etc
the other thing i found is that if i seperate the blades on the switch on the bonus unit that would be separated when the advance coil on the bonus unit would fire the above doesnt happen ,of course bonus doesnt advance either
i think this switch is normally closed on the bonus
anyway this old machine that hasnt worked in over 15yrs is pretty close to being back in full playing order
thanks for all the help

#28 7 years ago

Find the relay that pulls when you hit targets. One contact may not be clean. Adjust and clean all blades. One of the blades will give path to bonus, others to other functions. Kickout hole has its own relay on the bottom board. the match unit on the game is pulsed by another relay. You will need to look which one on the schematic.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

the blades on the switch on the bonus unit that would be separated when the advance coil on the bonus unit would fire the above doesnt happen ,of course bonus doesnt advance either
i think this switch is normally closed on the bonus

This image state is at rest after reset , one step up via the S.U. coil.

Wms_Bonus_unit-_(resized).JPGWms_Bonus_unit-_(resized).JPG

#30 7 years ago

See in snip bonus E.o.s. ( sch. E - 21 ) is what holds / releases the advance re.
1_strato_bonus_e.o.s._sw._(resized).JPG1_strato_bonus_e.o.s._sw._(resized).JPG

#31 7 years ago

Well im almost afraid to say this but I got it fixed!!
I looked over the manual checked all the switches that had something to do with bonus and match coil. Cleaned them up again .i found one blade in the advance relay that looked like it was closing on very close inspection was just barely open i asjusted it fixed the EOS switch on bonus that i had separated and it works ! Bonus advances and all
Thanks for all the help and your time . Its a great feeling isnt it, when you can get one of these old machines that was long forgotten up and doing what the folks that built it meant for it to do. Give us and the younger generation lots of enjoyment .
Thanks again .
Jim
(Now to work on that magnotron)

#32 7 years ago

1470195302986-1395327867_(resized).jpg1470195302986-1395327867_(resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

Well im almost afraid to say this but I got it fixed!!

Its alive!

Quoted from jdapolito:

Now to work on that magnotron

Bring it on!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-strato-flite-keeps-going-to-game-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.