IMG_5997 (resized).JPG
strato-flite (resized).jpg
wire splices (resized).JPG
Adjustment jacks (resized).JPG
Schematic (resized).JPG
Score Reels (resized).JPG
Player Unit (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

The last problem on my Strato-Flite has me totally lost. The high score adjustment jack is set for 65,000 and 97,000 and it gives 'same player shoots again' at those scores.

But, with the green (40,000) wire loose (not plugged in to the slots), the game gives free balls at even 1,000 point intervals anywhere in the 40,000 range (41,000 43,000 etc). If I unplug all the adjustment jacks it still gives free balls in the 40,000s only.

This happens for players 1, 3, and 4. On player 2 it gives a free ball at 50,000 only, bypassing the 65,000, 97,000, and all of the 40,000s.

I've looked at the player unit and don't see any loose wires, oddities, or strange added jumper wires. On all players' 10,000 and 1,000 score reel circuit boards there is nothing odd looking or added wires along the edges.

Maybe of note: all of the wire bundles were cut near the Jones plugs (ARRGH) and spliced back sometime in the past. Any ideas? I'm getting better at reading schematics but this has me stumped. I'd be happy to have the free balls work at 41,000, 65,000, and 97,000 on player one and not worry about the other players since I rarely play more than a one-player game.

Adjustment jacks (resized).JPGAdjustment jacks (resized).JPGPlayer Unit (resized).JPGPlayer Unit (resized).JPGSchematic (resized).JPGSchematic (resized).JPGScore Reels (resized).JPGScore Reels (resized).JPGwire splices (resized).JPGwire splices (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

assuming the player unit is inside the head, the plug connections shouldn't matter unless the Y-B-5 wire is wrong. If you pull out the adjust plug for replay vs extra ball, does that make it stop? If you put the plug in replay, is it giving credits at wrong scores?

if credits are a problem also, are the snowshoe wipers on the player unit bridging rivets?

if yes, you need to adjust the the unit so the wipers are more-or-less centered on the rivets. I don't recall on that one whether you loosen and twist the contact plate or you adjust the step-up arm travel. If not sure, post a pic of the entire ratchet side of the unit.

also take a look at the contact plate on each score reel and check the wipers aren't bridging traces and there's no carbon track connecting traces.

with all the adjust plugs out, there should be no path back to the yellow wire, so a more analytical approach is to disconnect all the adjust plugs then stick a voltmeter with a probe on the black coil wire and the other probe poke the wires associated with the circuits between the adjust plugs and the 1000 point relay switch with the BLU-1 wire to see if you've got 24V ... but you many need to step the reels around to the previous digit (or any digit you know the unit will give an extra ball when the 1000 point relay powers).

also, since the circuits are "floating" (disconnected), you may see phantom voltage readings on the meter. Treat anything not 24V as zero for this purpose.

#3 1 year ago

Player unit is in the head. I pulled adjusting plug for replay/extra ball and all Extra balls stopped. Put plug in replay and it gave credits at the wrong (40,000s) and correct 65000 97,000 scores.

Player unit snow shoe wipers are centered.

Still to check: contact plates on score reels bridging and carbon tracks.

Also…”probe on the black coil wire”. I’m assuming the coil that steps up the player unit. “ the other probe poke the wires…” I get a bit lost as to where that probe goes.

Thanks, Henry

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Player unit is in the head. I pulled adjusting plug for replay/extra ball and all Extra balls stopped. Put plug in replay and it gave credits at the wrong (40,000s) and correct 65000 97,000 scores.

ok, good. If you really want to prove the issue is coming from the score reel circuit, you can stick paper between the contacts on the 1000 pt relay switch with the B-W-1 and BLU-1 wires. If extra balls/replays stops and all the adjust plugs are out, then you have a short into the stuff feeding the BLU-1 wire.

the coils in the game mostly have one side connected to the fused "hot" side of the transformer winding. The wire color is black at the fuse and changes to B-Y-WH-1 at a game over relay switch, then to R-Y-W and finally RED at other switches. When the game is reset, all the switches along the way should be closed so any of the wires will be the same as the black wire. However, to eliminate the switches when you care about a path to the yellow "common" wire, you can just stick a probe on the black wire on the fuse or any convenient coil that has the black wire on it - player unit step-up/reset coils both do, as well as all the score reel coils.

the other probe I'd start at with the blue and yellow marked wires in the circuit below. If you see 24V when probing any of them, I'd stick paper under all the wipers on the player unit and see what happens. That should tell you if the problem is on the player unit or coming from the score reels.

if it's hard to tell the wire colors on the player unit, the manual has a diagram.

given the behavior depends on the score, it probably a score reel issue and sticking paper under the wipers - really just need the wipers connecting rivets 34 to 35-38 on the diagram - will further isolate the circuit

strato-flite (resized).jpgstrato-flite (resized).jpg

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

If you really want to prove the issue is coming from the score reel circuit, you can stick paper between the contacts on the 1000 pt relay switch with the B-W-1 and BLU-1 wires. If extra balls/replays stops and all the adjust plugs are out,

Extra ball did not appear in the 40,000s when I had the B-W and BLU wire blocked, extra balls started again when I took the paper block out. Baby steps steps to you, but I'm getting somewhere and it's pretty exciting! I'm losing my clear daylight so I'll pick up tomorrow morning.

So I know from what you said that I have a short in the stuff feeding the BLU wire

Quoted from baldtwit:

you can just stick a probe on the black wire on the fuse or any convenient coil that has the black wire on it - player unit step-up/reset coils both do, as well as all the score reel coils.

the other probe I'd start at with the blue and yellow marked wires in the circuit below

I will try this in the morning...to be truthful, it's a bit intimidating. I see your blue tick marks by the player unit box on the schematic, I see your yellow marker on the BLU-1 going to the same player unit box, I don't know what the nine red 'x's are to the left.

Thanks again.

#6 1 year ago

the red x's meant all those plugs are pulled out.

with the plugs out, you have a mystery because the 10K reels feeding into the player unit don't have any path anywhere else ... so you must have a short of some kind.

another thing you can try is sticking paper under the wipers on the 10K reels on players 2-4 and see if player 1 still has the issue.

nothing really makes sense, so you have to find something that should never happen like the switch stacks are twisted and a blade is touching the traces on a reel, a wire short someplace no-obvious, etc.

#7 1 year ago

I went around and around looking for a short anywhere on the reels, player unit, and just all over. Nothing I could find. Instead I unsoldered the G-2 wire at Player 1 10,000 score reel, disabling all the free balls in the 40,000 range. Instead I plugged the yellow (30,000) into the 9 slot so I now get a free ball at 39,000, 65,000, and 97,000 and none of those multiple free balls in the 40,000s. I had wanted free balls at 41,000, 65,000, and 97,000, so it's close enough for me. Would still like to know what is wrong with the 40,000s but just can't get there. Thanks for all your help.

IMG_5997 (resized).JPGIMG_5997 (resized).JPG

#8 1 year ago

if disconnecting G-2 changes things, then G-2 is the problem.

the plug end of G-2 wasn't connect to anything, right? And if it was in a hole on the wood, there's nothing the plug can touch on either side?

is G-2 is shorted someplace along its length ... look where the wiring routes around unit frames to see if the frame edge has cut into the insulation - you can either find the problem, run a new wire or move one of the other wires you aren't using into G-2's spot on the reel and use that to get the score you want.

put a voltmeter on the G-2 end you disconnected and other probe on the black coil wire. If you get 24VAC, G-2 is shorted someplace.

#9 1 year ago

Good call! The only place the green wire could have been kinked around a metal corner was on the Player 1 10,000 score reel frame. I saw some singeing there and wrapped it up in tape for insulation. Now I get a free ball at 41,000 and none of the other 40,000s on players 1, 3, and 4.

Still looking at the schematic and backbox for why Player 2 gives no free balls at any point level. (I can live with that since rarely would I have a two-player game going, but, would be nice to figure out.)

IMG_6005 (resized).JPGIMG_6005 (resized).JPG

#10 1 year ago

for a G-2 adjust plug setting, the P2 unique part of the circuit is highlighted below. The adjust plug is kinda in the middle of the circuit, so if you set the P2 score reels to a score that should give an extra ball, you can use the voltmeter to quickly find the problem.

one meter probe on a black coil wire on any score reel coil, other probe poke the adjust plug wire appropriate for the score - G-2 in this example.

if you have 24V, the problem is in the yellow highlighted part of the circuit. If you don't, it's in the blue highlighed part of the circuit. You can move the probe around to find where the 24V drops. Possibilities are:
- player unit wiper<->rivet connections
- broken sphagetti wire on the back side of the player unit contact plate
- poor wiper connection on reel 2 contact plate
- broken off G-Y-2 or Y-O-1 wires

ideally you want to do this when the circuit is closed (current is flowing) as that will make cruddy connections show up as voltage drops. To close the circuit, you'd jumper the 1000 pt relay switch connecting BLU-1 to B-W-1 closed (switch not shown below).

if you didn't have a voltmeter handy, then jumping the 1K relay switch closed and using another jumper to jumper from W-O-5 to points in the blue or yellow highlight circuits will also find the problem. Easier to set the game to give credits, then when you get a credit with the jumper everything to the "right" of the jumped point is good and you keep working "left" until it doesn't give a credit. In practice, you poke easiest to get to places first and home in on the problem point.

p2_unique_1 (resized).jpgp2_unique_1 (resized).jpgp2_unique_2 (resized).jpgp2_unique_2 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-strato-flite-high-score-free-ball-oddity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.