You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Wms-Pop-Bumper-planetarypinball (resized).jpg
s11pop1 (resized).png
0409180804_Film1 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello all, I am having a problem with the pop bumper. It fires and freezes. It seems to me that the switch is not releasing the bumper coil even though it does separate when the bumper is triggered. I have cleaned the contacts on the coil and the bumper. If I put a piece of paper between the points (see picture) it seems to work fine. So what does that switch do and do I need it? Thanks

0409180804_Film1 (resized).jpg0409180804_Film1 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

The way these AC bumpers work is that the lower switch (closer to the playfield) turns on a bumper relay, which then stays on (along with the bumper coil) until the upper switch opens as the bumper finishes pulling down/in. By putting a piece of paper in the upper switch, you're effectively making it so the coil never stays on. As soon as the ball isn't pressing the bottom switch closed the bumper will release, so it won't ever kick 'fully'.

You're not harming anything leaving it like that, but it's not as strong and it may not always give you points.

#3 5 years ago

s11pop1 (resized).pngs11pop1 (resized).png

#4 5 years ago

It is not unusual for a pop bumper relay to fire another pop bumper also. This allowed the factory to apply less driver relays for pop bumpers.

Both pop bumpers need to release for driver relay to release to release the coils.

Is another pop bumper locking on when the one in question locks on? If so, have you inspected that pop bumper's end of stroke switch?

#5 5 years ago

Thanks all. The other bumpers fire individually. How would I fix the bad one? It seems that the switch does not separate long enough to release the coil. Any ideas?

#6 5 years ago

You can adjust the switches by slightly bending them so they will open a bit earlier as the rod and ring assembly plunges down.

#7 5 years ago

The shaft into the coil may need cleaning and maybe a new spring. You can also widen the switch gap. Also make sure that the two rods that go thru the pf are going smoothly.

#8 5 years ago

Hi @zacaj
did You want to upvote - but accidentally hit the downvote-button (post-3) ? Greetings Rolf

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi zacaj
did You want to upvote - but accidentally hit the downvote-button (post-3) ? Greetings Rolf

Nope. That's a diagram for solid state machines on an EM thread. Unapplicable and just likely to cause confusion

#10 5 years ago

Hi
I like this site http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK
here the page:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1969/index.html#/24/zoomed --- some screenshots put together to make an nice JPG. Greetings Rolf

0Wms-Pop-Bumper-planetarypinball (resized).jpg0Wms-Pop-Bumper-planetarypinball (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago

I ended up cleaning everything and adjusting the switch. I noticed that the bumper does not strike as hard as the others which is why it is not moving up hard enough to break the contact of the switch. I checked the coil with a meter and it read the same as the others but the others are stronger. So can the coil be bad even if the meter says it is OK? Thanks

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Bill_EM:

I ended up cleaning everything and adjusting the switch. I noticed that the bumper does not strike as hard as the others which is why it is not moving up hard enough to break the contact of the switch. I checked the coil with a meter and it read the same as the others but the others are stronger. So can the coil be bad even if the meter says it is OK? Thanks

Swap coils to find out, or try cleaning the solenoid plunger and sleeve.

#13 5 years ago

Check the bumper relay switches responsible for providing power to the coil.
Ensure the contacts are clean and flush. Make sure the contacts are not loose on the switch blade.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Bill_EM:

I noticed that the bumper does not strike as hard as the others

What happens if you manually move the striker up and down with the power off? Does it move smoothly or is it catching or dragging?

#15 5 years ago

Everything is clean and moves smoothly. I will check the relay for contact. If that doesn't do anything I will swap coils and see what happens. I will let you know.

#16 5 years ago

I should have thought of this earlier, but check for "floating contacts" on your switches by giving the blade and contact a good crimping.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I should have thought of this earlier, but check for "floating contacts" on your switches by giving the blade and contact a good crimping.

Sorry, but I don't agree. First diagnose the problem, then fix it, which only then might include what my friend currieddog suggests.

#18 5 years ago

Hi All,
The problem is solved. I first cleaned the contacts on the relay with no success. Then I switched the coil from a working bumper with no success. At this point I felt it had to be the relay. So I activated it by hand and noticed that even though there was a contact spark for the coil contact pulse switch I didn’t get a good kick on the coil. I then filed the contact really well and the problem was solved. So apparently if the contact is getting some spark it might not be enough for the coil to fully activate.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
PinCoasters
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-stardust-pop-bumper-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.