Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Sonora70
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Just started on a Williams Star Pool a few nights ago. This is my second pinball restore....thought I figured a lot of this out on the first one!!!

When the ball drains it does not advance to ball number 2. Sporadically, very sporadically, it will advance a couple times through a game and then it stops again. I've cleaned the ball count unit, the ball index relay is sticking after points are scored, and I have gone through the outhole relay multiple times. Oh, I've also cleaned the points on the score motor that according to the schematic pulses the ball count unit. Any ideas?

#2 9 years ago

Is there anyway to energize the coil on the ball count unit to ensure the coil is okay?

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like your problem is in the Player Unit. It is located in in the backbox. Take it apart and clean everything including the contacts on the stepper unit.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

Is there anyway to energize the coil on the ball count unit to ensure the coil is okay?

Potentially dangerous suggestion -- follow advice at your own risk:

Make sure you're not standing in a puddle of salt water or anything. Run a jumper wire from a known hot wire (probably a Yellow) to the "hot" terminal of the coil in question (looks like a red-white).

By the way, since your problem is intermittent, I'm guessing your coil's okay and the problem is a misadjusted switch somewhere upstream of it. In my experience, bad coils are not intermittently bad.

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, what Mikala said.

#6 9 years ago

Still not advancing the ball count. Still on ball 1. I have checked and cleaned all switches yet again.....ball index relay, score motor switch that pulses the ball count unit, outhole relay....

Something has to be missing here. Last night it did work a couple times.....however nothing since.
I have not spent this much time on any other issue I've had....

#7 9 years ago

Go to player unit set to zero position and manuly rotate

#8 9 years ago

Did you check/clean the player unit? I'd imagine the circuit goes through it too, and the Williams unit from that era has a bad reputation, or so I'm led to believe after looking at one review of this game on IPDB five minutes ago.

#9 9 years ago

Yes, I took the wheel off the player unit, cleaned, lubed with Teflon and put it back together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-star-pool-ball-count-not-advancing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.