(Topic ID: 162847)

Williams Spooks rifle game. flash relay problem?

By jpkier676

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TomT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0783_(resized).JPG
    Sound_sticks_on_(resized).JPG
    spooks_skull_hit_schem_(resized).JPG
    spooks_skull_target_hit_score_motor_(resized).JPG
    spooks_manual_skull_target_relay_(resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

The games starts up fine, the bull's-eye target works as it should. When you hit it, the light flashes and the sound beeps. The card board overlay then lowers and the skull comes up. The problem is, when you hit the skull, the light and sound comes on and stays on. That's the problem, the only thing a found was the flash relay engages as it should at the beginning of the game, but when the bull’s-eye is hit it disengages but does not re-engage. If I manually engage it, it stays engaged and when I hit the skull, the sound and hit light come on and go off as they should, but I have to manually re-engage it every time if I want it to work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's probably a simple problem, but I'm stumped.

#2 7 years ago

Do you have the schematic and manual? If not you really need to get both.
    There is never, repeat...never, a simple problem with gun games!

It sounds like your Skull Hit relay is locked on when the target it hit and is not dropping out of the hold circuit. On the schematic that is the switch in the middle of this relay circuit. It might be a switch on that relay is the problem, or the motor switch on cam 5B that controls this relay.

Here are the diagrams.

Alan

spooks_manual_skull_target_relay_(resized).JPGspooks_manual_skull_target_relay_(resized).JPG

spooks_skull_target_hit_score_motor_(resized).JPGspooks_skull_target_hit_score_motor_(resized).JPG

spooks_skull_hit_schem_(resized).JPGspooks_skull_hit_schem_(resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

You are correct, the skull target hit relay is staying energized. I have booth the schematic and manual. I have adjusted the skull target hit relay, and I cleaned and adjusted every contact on the motor control, I even cleaned and adjusted the skull target run relay. and it still does it. (pulling out hair now.)

#4 7 years ago

Have you checked the continuity through the motor and relay hold switches? Are they shorted out or wires touching other terminals?
    Also sometimes the soldering needs reflowing on the terminals.

Since it is a really simple circuit you could check the continuity through the motor switch and through the relay hold switch, one meter probe on the inlet side of the motor switch and the other probe on the outlet side of the relay hold switch. Open and close the switches and see if the action is right.

On the schematic there is another path to something (Y) at schematic location E13. Maybe that signal is affecting all this? I'm not sure what that other thing is.

#5 7 years ago

That other path at E13 appears to include a switch on the period relay and a switch on the witch target center. Not sure what that is all about but it could be a possible path.

#6 7 years ago

I will check continuity through the motor switch and through the relay hold switch. So far after a few hours of staring at the schematic trying to track this problem down, I'm starting to think the problem has something to do with the period relay not energizing when the skull is moving. I'm currently looking where P2K mentioned, " On the schematic there is another path to something (Y) at schematic location E13. Maybe that signal is affecting all this?" this is a path to the witch motor circuit at the bottom of the machine. It is basically one of the last things I haven't looked at. Probably pull out the unit tomorrow morning and have a look. Wish me luck.

#7 7 years ago

I also suggest checking out the function and adjustments on the two switches (2B and 1D) on the Skull Target Run Relay. These two switches energize the Target Hit Relay and are shared by the Flash Relay at the trigger circuit beginning.

#8 7 years ago

Just to cover the easy ones:
    I had a stuck on skull sound that I forgot about in my repair log. I have it on my webpage.
    It was the sound relay sticking.

I though your problem sounded familiar!
    But it may be too easy...
    Alan

Sound_sticks_on_(resized).JPGSound_sticks_on_(resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Wow, I have been to your web site. Great sight, A lot of good information. That was the first thing I looked at. Funny thing is the spooks machine I have does not have that relay. It has two small relays right on the board. But I have great news, I found the problem. you’ll never guess what it was. This morning I went over the entire lower unit and still had the problem. So I read the manual again but found nothing new. So I decided to go back and start from the beginning. Generally, the first thing I do when I get a and old machine that has been sitting for a while is go over all mechanical devices,( motors, stepper units, switches, and so on), making sure they work mechanically. So I started this process again, I started with the two stepper units in the top of the machine, the period stepper and the bonus stepper. To my surprise, the reset armature was frozen solid on the bonus stepper ( I missed it the first time) . I dismantled the stepper and freed the arm so it worked properly. I then started the game, and to my relief the machine is now working. I can’t believe it was that of all things. P2K thank you for all your help and patience.

IMG_0783_(resized).JPGIMG_0783_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

Just to cover the easy ones:
    I had a stuck on skull sound that I forgot about in my repair log. I have it on my webpage.

Alan

Can you post a link to your web page?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from jpkier676:

...I started with the two stepper units in the top of the machine, the period stepper and the bonus stepper.

I have a lot of problems that start with the period stepper, those two steppers can cause some very strange problems that don't seem at all related! Apparently a lot of circuits go through these two steppers. Great to hear that you found the problem!

For the other question from dasvis, the website is:
    www.seriousviewers.com

Alan

1 week later
    #12 7 years ago

Great site Alan!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-spooks-rifle-game-flash-relay-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.