Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MeEtc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a Williams Comet that has an extremely low speech volume. Electronic sounds are fine. I have to max both the cabinet volume pot and speech balance pot on the speech board, and I can then get a whisper of the speech board sounds. The sounds themselves seem to play correct. The board is the 8228 version, with a 55564 IC instead of a 55516

#2 3 years ago

Maybe the OP-amp for the speech is blown/dead/dying?

#3 3 years ago

Possibly. I can only find SMD versions available here though. Rather not have to order from USA.

#4 3 years ago

most likely bad op amp. i have replaced the 1458 a bunch of times to fix low volume. There are other similar op amps you can use. I remember in a pinch years back finding something at radio shack with a different part number (TL082) but similar pin out that worked fine in FirePower.

#5 3 years ago

Yes, most dual opamps such as TL072, TL082 or LM1558 have same pinout and will all work.

#6 3 years ago

Replaced U3 with another 1458 i found in a parts drawer. Works with just the single opamp swapped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-speech-board-extremely-low-volume?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.