Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200927_111526 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I just bought this Williams Spanish Eyes and it works well except for this annoying buzz coming from the lock-relay on the bottom board. It looks like the the coil is very burnt and the plastic part holding the coil is cracked and broken. I've read that this relay is only necessary if you want the left flipper button switch to work but other than that, you can cut one wire and disable the relay. Is this correct? I've only ever worked on Gottlieb games so this is new to me. Any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of the relay in question.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

I just bought this Williams Spanish Eyes and it works well except for this annoying buzz coming from the lock-relay on the bottom board. It looks like the the coil is very burnt and the plastic part holding the coil is cracked and broken. I've read that this relay is only necessary if you want the left flipper button switch to work but other than that, you can cut one wire and disable the relay. Is this correct? I've only ever worked on Gottlieb games so this is new to me. Any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of the relay in question.

You need the relay to supply power to the game. I dont think there is anyway around it. I got a replacement from Ebay but I'm sure there are other places you can find them. Once you replace it with a decent coil, it should be fine in the home setting and shouldnt buzz on you.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

I've read that this relay is only necessary if you want the left flipper button switch to work but other than that, you can cut one wire and disable the relay

Correct. Cut the power wire and clamp the relay closed.
However, this is considered a hack. The buzzing comes from vibrations, sometimes the springs are weak and need replaced, sometimes the screws holding the unit down to the wood are loose.
The Hold coil is designed to stay on for long periods of time and even a new one will become burnt looking.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

it works well except for this annoying buzz coming from the lock-relay on the bottom

Check this from Clay's superb EM repair guide: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#buzz

Sometimes just replacing the small spring to the plate will do the trick.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You need the relay to supply power to the game. I dont think there is anyway around it. I got a replacement from Ebay but I'm sure there are other places you can find them. Once you replace it with a decent coil, it should be fine in the home setting and shouldnt buzz on you.

Thanks for the info..........I

#6 3 years ago

Here's a pick of said relay (nice and crispy). As you can hopefully see, the plastic bit is cracked and only being held in place by the wires from the coil. If I cut the black wire, is that all I need to do or will that stop power from getting to the PF?

20200927_111526 (resized).jpg20200927_111526 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

Here's a pick of said relay (nice and crispy). As you can hopefully see, the plastic bit is cracked and only being held in place by the wires from the coil. If I cut the black wire, is that all I need to do or will that stop power from getting to the PF?[quoted image]

If the coil works, you could leave it as is. The coil is quite easy to replace. Unsolder the two wires, undo 1 screw holding it in the frame. pbresource.com will sell you a coil that's more suited to that use (more windings, won't get as hot).

Buzzing can also be from a weak spring, or a dirty or worn armature plate - the part that contacts the coil. A quick, temporary fix is to put a small piece of tape between the coil and the armature plate.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenchord:

If the coil works, you could leave it as is. The coil is quite easy to replace. Unsolder the two wires, undo 1 screw holding it in the frame. pbresource.com will sell you a coil that's more suited to that use (more windings, won't get as hot).
Buzzing can also be from a weak spring, or a dirty or worn armature plate - the part that contacts the coil. A quick, temporary fix is to put a small piece of tape between the coil and the armature plate.

Is that broken plastic piece the armature plate?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from TeaHaus:

Is that broken plastic piece the armature plate?

No, the moving metal plate on the opposite end is. The little spring on the back may be shot.

#10 3 years ago

Well, I decided that my game probably didn't need that lock relay so I a)snipped one of the power wires to the coil and b)bent the switches so they would be in the same position that they would be in if the coil was energized. Seems to have done the trick. Hum is gone (obviously since the coil is no longer in the circuit) and the games plays fine......powers up, everything works. Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

#11 3 years ago

Hacker!

#12 3 years ago

I'm looking for one.
Let me know.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/103164
I'm not too picky, original or hacked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-spanish-eyes?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.