Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by JasonC
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I'm fixing up a williams space station machine that has been sitting in our office for years collecting dust. I've fixed a handful of problems and got it 'working' again, but I'm still facing a few problems before it gets up and running 100%... Also to note, this is the first pin I have ever worked on, I've been lurking the forum and finding tutorials on how to do everything.

1 - every time you turn on the machine it needs to be factory re-set by holding down one of the small black buttons on the inside of the cash door. Once it runs through its cycle, the screen goes blank, and then when you release the button, the game starts up perfectly. I wondered if it was the Batteries that need to be replaced, so I opened up the back glass and found that the battery's had corroded the clips that hold them in place, and had even started corroding the board they are attached to... I assume this is why it has to be factory re-set, but can anyone confirm before I buy a new battery holder? Also what should I use to clean the corrosion off of the board?

2 - The rotating space station ball diverter is almost never lined up properly, and tends to spin either direction randomly when activated. I read this thread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-turns-wrong-way
Which leads me to believe I may need a new motor, but before I go drop $50 on one, can someone run me through how to make sure its not just the Optos that are bad or need cleaning? Ive never dealt with optos so not sure how to go about cleaning them.

3 - when the ball hits the 'bay door' blocker and causes it to sink into the playfield, sometimes the womans voice saying "Bay doors are open" keeps repeating over and over, and sometimes it seems to be triggered by the ball hitting anything that scores points? I have no idea on this one. any help?

4 - when I trigger 'green mode' none of the lights change. It could be that all the green lights are just burnt out (many of the lights are) but then I would have expected the rest of the field to at least get darker? I watch youtube videos on green mode, and it seems like a very drastic change while I am seeing none. Could it be I just need to find all the green lights and replace them?

Thanks!

Its a fun game. but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the 'no inlane' design. It makes capturing/controlling the ball almost impossible.

#2 10 years ago

The corrosion could definitely cause your problem. Clean the board using the following technique:

http://www.pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/210-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

1 month later
#3 10 years ago

If your still looking for help. I have done some resto on my space station and can give you some tips hit me up on pinside mail if u do.

#4 10 years ago

The problem with the space station not lining up could be the optics are either out or not getting power. I had the same issue with mine several years ago and it was the power supply board. I would recommend pulling the board and checking for cracked solder joints on the header pins. Also the docking bay drop down uses the same source for the power as the optics for the space station so it could be again the power board in the backbox.

The green GI mode is for multiball and I would suggest trying to use the coil diagnostics and see if it will turn them on. You can always swap one of the bulbs with one you know that is working.

#5 10 years ago

Great game, definitely worth your time. Replying using your numbers:

1. Definitely it's the batteries. You can confirm this with voltmeter.
2. Inside the motor, there's a little protrusion that makes the shaft turn in the right direction. If the gear is worn down at that point, it has nothing to catch on. The fix is easy: just move this little protrusion to a new part of the shaft. Definitely try this before spending $50.
3. Don't know
4. Does the green GI light up in test mode?

Quoted from scarybeard:

Its a fun game. but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the 'no inlane' design. It makes capturing/controlling the ball almost impossible.

That's what makes it such a great pin - it will teach you how to drop catch and live catch.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

That's what makes it such a great pin - it will teach you how to drop catch and live catch.

Agreed. This pin as taught me tons about catching/controlling the ball. I still suck most days but this pin has definitely made me a better pinball player

Quoted from scarybeard:

3 - when the ball hits the 'bay door' blocker and causes it to sink into the playfield, sometimes the womans voice saying "Bay doors are open" keeps repeating over and over, and sometimes it seems to be triggered by the ball hitting anything that scores points? I have no idea on this one. any help?

I had this exact problem along with the space station not always lining up properly. Also, the three bank drops wouldn't always reset at start of a new ball or after all three were knocked down. I found a loose wire not all the way pushed into the IDC connector 3J6 on the power supply board. 3J6-1 or 3J6-2 the logic ground or -12v dc. Found it when I was checking for loose connectors when the problem started appearing. Pushed on that connector and the "bay doors are open" kept repeating over and over. I'm guessing yours could be similar problem or a cold/cracked solder on a header pin @ that connector

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-station-couple-small-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.