• Latest reply 11 years ago by Willy39
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

system9psboard.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I have a space shuttle pinball that the sound keeps going off. I traced the problem to the sound connection to the power supply. If I push the connector in or even wiggle the wires the sound comes back on. So, I want to replace out that connector and punch down the wires in to a new connector. Sounds easy enough, but I am a newbie and really just need guidance on this. What is the part I need to buy (I know its a 15-pin - female), and what tool and where can I purchase it to punch down the wires into the connector. I have attached a stock photo (not of my board) to show you what I am talking about.

system9psboard.jpgsystem9psboard.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Is it the connector or the header on th power board? Have you checked the back of the header pins to see if any of the solder joints securing the pins look broken, cracked or dull? If any of them look suspicious, just reflow the solder by melting that joint then put a tiny bit of fresh solder into it. Probably wouldn't hurt to reflow them all on this nearly 30 year old power board anyways....

If that all looks okay and you're sure it's the actual IDC connector, you can buy IDC sockets from Pinball Life and I believe GPE, probably the other usual suspects like Marco as well. They also sell the IDC punchdown tool which allows you to push the wire evenly into the blade of the socket to make a good connection.

#3 11 years ago

Most likely your problem is going to be on the header pins of that connector.

Pull the board and look closely at the solder joints on the back of the board. They are likely to be cracked and making a poor connection. You can probably get away just resoldering the pins. Williams boards typically have short header pins and it is hard to make a good solid solder joint.

If you want to replace them you need a 15pin molex 0.156" spaced header pins. Ed at great plains sells them. I like the header pins that come on a long strip and you can cut to size. Locking channel is not required.

The female connector is either an IDC Punched on connectors or individual crimped on pins that are in a housing. If the IDC connector is falling apart replace it with molex style crimp on connector. You would need .156 crimp pins and a crimp tool. Both available at GPE.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the great advice! I will take a look at the solder joints this weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-shuttle-sound-keeps-going-out-bad-connection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.