DSCN0281 (resized).JPG
DSCN0260 (resized).JPG
DSCN0257 (resized).JPG
DSCN0259 (resized).JPG
DSCN0256 (resized).JPG
DSCN0254 (resized).JPG
DSCN0253 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I am starting a post to document what I am doing with my Space Shuttle. Great game. Mine plays well, but has some issues that will need to addressed to make it last a little longer. This isn't a professional restoration. I'm just looking to make it better than it was.

First of all, paid way to much for this one, but wanted the game and had the money.

A couple of days before I go to pick up the game, the guy texts and says the GI in the backbox isn't working. When i get there, it isn't just the backbox GI, but all of the GI. I removed the board and reflowed some solder in that section. Turns out it is an issue with the relay. Seems like the plastic cover may have deformed and is hindering the movement of the relay. I may replace it, but for now, it is working.

Here are some before pictures. Not great because my flash wasn't working.

DSCN0191 (resized).JPGDSCN0191 (resized).JPG

DSCN0192 (resized).JPGDSCN0192 (resized).JPG

DSCN0196 (resized).JPGDSCN0196 (resized).JPG

DSCN0197 (resized).JPGDSCN0197 (resized).JPG

DSCN0198 (resized).JPGDSCN0198 (resized).JPG

DSCN0199 (resized).JPGDSCN0199 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Here are some better pictures as I start to tear it down.

DSCN0200 (resized).JPGDSCN0200 (resized).JPG

DSCN0201 (resized).JPGDSCN0201 (resized).JPG

DSCN0202 (resized).JPGDSCN0202 (resized).JPG

DSCN0203 (resized).JPGDSCN0203 (resized).JPG

DSCN0206 (resized).JPGDSCN0206 (resized).JPG

DSCN0204 (resized).JPGDSCN0204 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Pretty dirty with some damaged paint. Here is one big problem:

the mylar is in pretty rough shape around the inserts. You can read the decals when they are lit, but they look terrible otherwise. No choice but to remove the mylar.

DSCN0208 (resized).JPGDSCN0208 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Here is the other big problem:

crazy damage around the pops. You can't see it when you are playing (or before you drive 100 miles to buy it), but I certainly can't live with this.

DSCN0207 (resized).JPGDSCN0207 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

^^^ yes a hard top is the way to go. Unless your a professional pf restorer don't even try to mess with it, it needs way to much work. Sand it all down so you have nice wood then put a Hard Top on then led it, top and bottom.

#7 6 years ago

I am still considering it, but I am taking the opportunity first to see if the original can be saved. It is great to know that if I hate how it turns out, I can always sand it down and get the hard top.

My son and I are working on the project together. I enjoy messing with this kind of stuff. If it becomes horrible, hard top will happen, because I love this game.

Quoted from Crashnburn:

You may want to look at a hard top for that.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sand it all down so you have nice wood then put a Hard Top on then led it, top and bottom.

I've got the LEDs. I triple thicked the backglass, I ordered a new rubber kit and some parts. I'm going to try to fix it first. If I don't like how it comes out I'll do the hard top.

#9 6 years ago

Here are some more pics of damage.

one of the hot dog inserts is cracked.

Some of the exposed paint is flaking.

DSCN0211 (resized).JPGDSCN0211 (resized).JPG

DSCN0212 (resized).JPGDSCN0212 (resized).JPG

DSCN0214 (resized).JPGDSCN0214 (resized).JPG

DSCN0213 (resized).JPGDSCN0213 (resized).JPG

DSCN0226 (resized).JPGDSCN0226 (resized).JPG

DSCN0219 (resized).JPGDSCN0219 (resized).JPG

DSCN0228 (resized).JPGDSCN0228 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Unless your a professional pf restorer

Every pro was once a beginner, Right Vid?

#11 6 years ago

Another thing, see the mylar bubbling, when you pull the mylar you'll see that the glue on the inserts where the bubbling is has turned rock hard from the heat of the bulbs and the only way to get it off is to sand it off. You won't like what you see when you pull the mylar.

#12 6 years ago

Here is the playfield without the mylar. Didn't lift very much paint

DSCN0229 (resized).JPGDSCN0229 (resized).JPG

DSCN0230 (resized).JPGDSCN0230 (resized).JPG

DSCN0236 (resized).JPGDSCN0236 (resized).JPG

DSCN0255 (resized).JPGDSCN0255 (resized).JPG

DSCN0239 (resized).JPGDSCN0239 (resized).JPG

DSCN0237 (resized).JPGDSCN0237 (resized).JPG

DSCN0238 (resized).JPGDSCN0238 (resized).JPG

DSCN0247 (resized).JPGDSCN0247 (resized).JPG

DSCN0253 (resized).JPGDSCN0253 (resized).JPG

DSCN0254 (resized).JPGDSCN0254 (resized).JPG

DSCN0256 (resized).JPGDSCN0256 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

Having trouble with the glue underneath using the flour and alcohol trick. I only had 70% in the house, so I'm going to get 90+% tomorrow and see if that helps. Glue is coming up, but my fingers are starting to blister. Could be a long time getting it up. It comes off of the inserts, just requires more pushing than i have seen in other videos.

DSCN0259 (resized).JPGDSCN0259 (resized).JPG

DSCN0257 (resized).JPGDSCN0257 (resized).JPG

DSCN0260 (resized).JPGDSCN0260 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

Is there any hard glue on the inserts?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is there any hard glue on the inserts?

It all seems sticky. So far, all of it balls up, it just hurts my fingers.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

It all seems sticky. So far, all of it balls up, it just hurts my fingers.

Oh man your lucky. Yeah my finger tips are almost healed from doing a pf a couple weeks ago.

#17 6 years ago

I would echo the hard top route. With as much discoloration and wear on that playfield, you will spend a lot of time trying to get everything back to normal and it may still not be to your liking.

I put one on my Space Shuttle and love it.

#18 6 years ago

Finally got all of the glue off. 91% alcohol worked a lot better. I looked back to Vid's tips and followed his strategy of pushing the flour into the glue (as much as I could). I then vacuumed the extra away, wet it with alcohol, let it dry almost completely, then sprinkled a little flour on top and rubbed. The glue was still too sticky if I didn't add a little more flour at the end. Could be i didn't push enough flour into the glue in the first place, but wasn't sure how to do it better.

I lost more paint in the glue removal process than I did in the mylar removal. Not sure it it was loose paint or touched up paint that rubbed away with the glue.

Cleaned up the other areas of the playfield. Now it is ready for some touch-painting.

DSCN0281 (resized).JPGDSCN0281 (resized).JPG
DSCN0280 (resized).JPGDSCN0280 (resized).JPG
DSCN0282 (resized).JPGDSCN0282 (resized).JPG
DSCN0283 (resized).JPGDSCN0283 (resized).JPG
DSCN0284 (resized).JPGDSCN0284 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I am still considering it, but I am taking the opportunity first to see if the original can be saved. It is great to know that if I hate how it turns out, I can always sand it down and get the hard top.
My son and I are working on the project together. I enjoy messing with this kind of stuff. If it becomes horrible, hard top will happen, because I love this game.

I went through the same process as you however once I started removing mylar, there wasnt a decision to be made - hardtop all the way.

After I had finished removing my Mylar I started with the Flour / Alcohol however I never seemed to be able to get all the glue residue off. Tried alot of other products but eventually gave up. I didn't like the roughness of the playfield once I had removed the glue and in places you seem to have the same. A clear coat over the top may fix that however once you have touched it up.

Looks like you had better luck than me however looks like a lot of touch up required - best of luck with it - I will watch on from the sidelines.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from abendix:

looks like a lot of touch up required - best of luck with it

Yep. Lots of touch up indeed. Since I'm not shooting for a perfect machine, I didn't stress too much. Colors weren't always a perfect match. The biggest places I needed to touch up were the pop bumper area, the bare spot at the bottom of the ramp and some flaking paint on the right side by the lock. Did some work with insert boarders etc. Sealed it with Varathane and waxed it twice. Some of the dried wax is still sticking in some of the surface imperfections. I'll need to buff a bit more to get that cleaned up.

Also started the switch to LEDs

DSCN0289 (resized).JPGDSCN0289 (resized).JPG
DSCN0290 (resized).JPGDSCN0290 (resized).JPG
DSCN0292 (resized).JPGDSCN0292 (resized).JPG
DSCN0293 (resized).JPGDSCN0293 (resized).JPG
DSCN0294 (resized).JPGDSCN0294 (resized).JPG

#21 6 years ago

Since the pop bumper area is mostly covered by the plastic, I wasn't as concerned about how it looks up close. From the playing position it looks much better than it did.

#22 6 years ago

I think I almost bought this game. The damage to the playfield looks the same. Was this from a guy in Littleton (fancy neighborhood)?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

I think I almost bought this game.

Yep. Way fancy neighborhood. I was able to talk him down quite a bit, but still paid much more than I think it was worth. Most times I am frugal, This time I just couldn't wait.

#24 6 years ago

That should turn out to be a nice game. I was afraid to take on the playfield. Wish I'd known about those hard top overlays, they look like they are pretty sweet.

#25 6 years ago

id say the hardtop overlay is the smart choice now that its stripped.

#26 6 years ago

I still may eventually do a hard top, but I'll wear it out more first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-shuttle-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.