Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Whiskers
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas for a CPU led code 7 on my Space Shuttle? The Marvin guide hints at "the dreaded black and white connectors" being swapped- I'm not sure what that's referring to, but this machine has worked 100% for months then just quit on me. I did notice about a week ago that it wouldn't turn off with the switch, but it didn't happen again- then this week, all of a sudden nothing, other than the 7 on the CPU. It's a restored machine, among other things with an updated power supply, and I confirmed I have the 5 and 15 volts on the power supply heading to the CPU. Great pin and my kids are ticked that it's not working ( and so am I).

#2 10 years ago

Unfortunately, error code 7 seemed to be WMS' "everything else" code.
You can attempt to narrow the problem by removing all connectors on the MPU except power, then see if the board boots. Also, check for batteries on the board that might be leaking corrosive alkaline.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 10 years ago

Also try re-seating your ROMs.
I had an error 7 on my sorcerer and it turned out to be some bad soldering on the IC sockets.

Search the forums on Pinside a bit for error 7 posts. Quite a few of us had error 7s and each of us documented the problem on our posts once we figured out what the problem was. Could be a way for you to narrow down your unlucky number 7.

#4 10 years ago

I can tell that I had an issue with a 7 on a Space Shuttle. Never quite figured it out but I did notice it happened when the board was colder than room temp (50-60 Degrees F). If I left it on in the 7 state for 15 minutes it would often warm up and the 7 would just turn to 0 and I'm good to go. Never happened during the summer months so I presume it has something to do with the cold. I replaced the C12 cap on the main board but it didn't fix it. I would presume a bad cap somewhere if the symptoms are the same.

Mike V.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

I can tell that I had an issue with a 7 on a Space Shuttle. Never quite figured it out but I did notice it happened when the board was colder than room temp (50-60 Degrees F). If I left it on in the 7 state for 15 minutes it would often warm up and the 7 would just turn to 0 and I'm good to go. Never happened during the summer months so I presume it has something to do with the cold. I replaced the C12 cap on the main board but it didn't fix it. I would presume a bad cap somewhere if the symptoms are the same.
Mike V.

This sounds like a classic cold solder joint. Time to pull the board and inspect everything.

#6 10 years ago

Well, that's what I get for overthinking my search query- shouldn't have said "led" or "CPU". Several good posts on several sorcerers with an error 7- sounds like it's either u20, one or two other ICs, and/or cold solder joints, probably from my basement which I thought was warmer than what it should be for my pins. I'll try a couple of things and write back how it goes, thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think either you or Collin said it, ranhorton- the vast majority of the time in my troubleshooting my pins, it's Occam's razor, something simple- only with barn sitting machines do you get the really squirrelly issues( or a HH that had caught on fire, that was a fun repair).

#7 10 years ago

Try the non invasive stuff first. Only have the power input connector in place. Since you have verified your input power is good. Try reseating the ROMs, RAMs and CPU(any 24+ pin IC in a socket). Still locked up replace the ROMs, socketed RAM, and CPU with known good ICs. Past that it gets more advanced on diagnose and repair. I am not sure what your tech level is and if you even want to mess with it. So consider sending it out for repair at that point.

Andrew

#8 10 years ago

Could be a number of things, I've had two do this to me and the first one was a bad capacitor and the second one had a bad crystal..

2 months later
#9 10 years ago

Finally got a chance today to take a look- no sound when I hit the sound diagnostic, so that's good, but zero VDC on pin 20 of U17. I took out the game rom at U20, for what it's worth, still get a 7. I'm going to try the additional logic probe steps in the sys 9 guide to see if I can determine if it's a bad U17 or a bad u20( before I look for the weird problem ranhorton had).

#10 10 years ago

I did notice ( shame on me) that one of my batteries had started to corrode, but it hadn't got far, luckily, nor have I read where this would make the error 7 code. For reference, my pinbot had a completely destroyed battery holder, but never gave me a 7.

3 weeks later
#11 10 years ago

Replaced u17, no change- time for a new game prom, it looks like, I'll try that next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-shuttle-cpu-led-code-7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.