You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

relays.jpg
index.png
P9040760.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hello, just purchased a Williams Space Odyssey that works but needs a little TLC, one problem I cant figure out (I don't have a schematic) is when the ball goes up the advance bonus chute the game tilts? Can anyone lead me down the right path here? I can send photos if needed.
Also anyone have a nice used back glass for this machine?
Thanks

#3 10 years ago

shorted wire across the tilt and rollover? Check continuity between the two switches.

#4 10 years ago

That should do it. I believe that the ball needs to go thru one of the top rollovers and register a score before it can go thru the spinner.

This is to protect in case the upper gate is removed or lodged open causing the shot ball to go straight up and then down through the spinner.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks guys, I will check this out next........However after fixing a wire on my moving target and messing around a bit my ball index relay stopped working and now I cant figure that out, yesterday I could trigger it by hand and now I can even do that, if I jump power to it I can get it to cycle so I know the relay itself is good, does anyone know wht send juice to this relay when the ball drains?
Thanks

#6 10 years ago

Here is a picture of the relay I am talking about.

P9040760.JPGP9040760.JPG

#7 10 years ago

Does it still eject the ball to the shooter lane? If not, check the outhole switch itself. If you have the schematic (you DO have the schematic right?) I would check the whole circuit for either a dirty or mis-adjusted switch. And where is Dr. Fury now anyway? "Paging Dr. Fury, we have a Space Mission/Odyssey patient! stat!"

#8 10 years ago

No I don't have a schematic. yes it will eject the ball into the shooter lane, yesterday I could activate the relay manually and it would close and then open back up right away activating the ball count stepper, today if I activate it manually it stays closed until the machine completely cycles and resets a new ball, if I jump power to it from the adjacent relay it works as well when the other relay fires of course.
I am new to this and just learning so if I don't sound like I know what I am talking about it may be because I don't, lol, sorry.

#9 10 years ago

Sounds like something is not completing the circuit in that ball index loop. Seriously, Steve Fury has the most knowledge of that game I have ever seen. I know he is busy with a Juke restoration, but PM him and also look for his posts here as he's been really helpful to lots of folks with this game.

#10 10 years ago

This should help you,here is a Williams startup/reset procedure Steve Fury did >>>> http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-4-player-reset-sequence-animation

#11 10 years ago

Hi edale3.
The ball index relay comes on when the 1st point is scored in the game, whether it's one of the 3 top lanes or bumps the right bumper in the same area. Once it's on it will be held on by a switch in its own switch stack until the outhole relay comes on as the ball drains.

The others are right, the machine is designed to tilt when the upper spinner lane rollover switch is activated and the ball index relay is off.

I have highlighted the ball index relay self-hold circuit and associated contacts... But please be aware you Space Odyssey relay contact locations may be different than this Space Mission (4 player version of your game):

index.pngindex.png relays.jpgrelays.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Thank You Steve, I think I get it, in my case my relay does not go into the "hold" position when a score is registered (for that matter nothing even tries to move in the stack), however if I manually put it in that position it will index the ball count when the ball drains, so from what I understand the switch in the stack at this relay must be out of adjustment? Also I just checked, now knowing the tilt relay is in that circuit I checked to see if the ball will advance if I tilt the machine and it does..... so ball will advance, relay and stepper works if manually activated and/or if machine tilts. Will not work during normal play. I will mess with her a little more Sunday afternoon. Thanks Again.

Post edited by edale3 : new information

#13 10 years ago

Notice the stack of parallel 10's,100's & 1000's switches near the top of the schematic. Those are the relays in the lightbox or head of the machine, so any score made on the PF will close one of those relay switches. The index relay will first energize through one of those switches through the bonus and extra ball relay. Once the index relay is pulled in it is held on by it's own switch through the outhole relay.

#14 10 years ago

edale3 as your op
that switch going up the left has to be open top and bottom and when a ball hits it close both switches for the 1000 and bonus
just had that problem and it was making my machine start on ball two
hope this helps

#15 10 years ago

Thank You, I am still messing with it. I cant seem to figure it out and now I cant get the machine to reset through the reset button. I think I am creating more problems than I started with.
I will look at it again tomorrow if I get some more time, if I cant fix this thing anyone want to buy a Space Odyssey machine for 200bucks!! I bet it is an easy fix for you guys............

#16 10 years ago

c'mon stick with it... you can do it! imagine the satisfaction you are gonna get when you push that button and the machine fires up... it's (almost) better than sex...

however, if you really want to dump it, let us know where you are located...

#17 10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement ccotenj, I will work on it a bit more this weekend when I can devote a couple hours to it, I am in Rochester NY though if I cant get her going. By the way I was able to get it so the reset button works again (the credit stepper was messing up), so now I am back to only the two problems mentioned above.

#18 10 years ago

edale3, my SM reset video covers the start-up, and I believe what you describe as "startup through the reset button" will be the same as the Odyssey.

You might find your particular interest if you scrub the video to about 1:30:

#19 10 years ago

Great Video Steve! Thanks for the contribution. I will log that away for when I have a late EM Williams 4 player.

#20 10 years ago

Whooooo hoooooo :party:I figured it out, with all of your guys help of course, I was looking at the relays in the instruction manual and noticed that a finger on the bonus relay is what triggered the 10, 100, 1000 point relay which in turn set the ball count relay, sooooo when I took a real close look I found there were 2 wires that had come loose from the back of the Bakelite on the unit, I soldered them up and the ball count worked as well as the tilt issue. I then had an issue where it would go into two player but score the one player, the instructions showed that a finger on the ball count wheel set the two player, when I looked I could see that the finger was way out of adjustment. Anyway I am good now, everything is working awesome! You guys are awesome, I am buying another one as soon as I can.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from edale3:

Whooooo hoooooo :party:I figured it out, with all of your guys help of course, I was looking at the relays in the instruction manual and noticed that a finger on the bonus relay is what triggered the 10, 100, 1000 point relay which in turn set the ball count relay, sooooo when I took a real close look I found there were 2 wires that had come loose from the back of the Bakelite on the unit, I soldered them up and the ball count worked as well as the tilt issue. I then had an issue where it would go into two player but score the one player, the instructions showed that a finger on the ball count wheel set the two player, when I looked I could see that the finger was way out of adjustment. Anyway I am good now, everything is working awesome! You guys are awesome, I am buying another one as soon as I can.

Buying another one as soon as you can? Now that's what I'm talking about!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-odyssey-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.