(Topic ID: 191426)

Williams Space Odyssey freaking out - Help!

By scottnagle

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4410 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Just got a Williams Space Odyssey and thought it was working OK. I played a few games, then it started going crazy.

The big wheel (scorer) below the play field keeps spinning, and the two ball kickers by the flippers keep kicking on and off. If I start a game it goes even more crazy and the 1 player score starting counting up with bells ringing, etc.

Here's a link to a video showing the issue -

Any ideas where to begin?

#2 6 years ago

You have a stuck playfield switch that scores 50 points. Check all 50 point pf switches starting with those kickers.

#3 6 years ago

Mikala That was the problem, the left kicker switch was stuck down. I un-jammed it and it works again.

Another question, my moving target is not moving, what might causes this and what can I test on it?

#4 6 years ago

Is the moving target motor getting power?

#5 6 years ago

HowardR - I measure 45 volts AC at the two motor contacts (the two black wires).

IMG_4410 (resized).JPGIMG_4410 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

Then I have to think the motor is bad. Unsolder one wire from it and check its resistance with an ohmmeter. I suspect it will read an open circuit.

#7 6 years ago

Either the motor is bad or it's seized up from old solidified grease or a piece of debris jammed in the gears which is easy to do with the open frame.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Either the motor is bad or it's seized up from old solidified grease or a piece of debris jammed in the gears which is easy to do with the open frame.

Good point, @polyacanthus. Those are possibilities too. I upvoted your post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-odyssey-freaking-out-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.