• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0423 (resized).JPG
IMG_4411 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have a Williams Space Odyssey and when the game is over it just sits there, the lights are on, but none are blinking.

Is this normal for this game, Is there an attract mode with flashing lights?

IMG_4411 (resized).JPGIMG_4411 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

The youtube videos that show it before startup don't have flashing lights. The sole exception is where the owner says he put inn flashing bulbs.

#3 6 years ago

For Gottlieb EMs there are flashers installed in the backglass. Behind the 'Game Over', behind lettering that highlight the '2nd Player or 4 players". Some have flashers behind the name of the game. On some schematics (sometimes) the flasher bulb(s) is highlighted.

Adding flashing bulbs is a personal thing, on Space Odyssey you could use them behind the sun, the space ships, with some trial and error, surely you could achieve something that you like.

#5 6 years ago

My Space Mission only has a few blinking bulbs behind the space ships. I removed them and installed all 455 blinkers behind the game name and it looked funny so I returned it the way it was.

#6 6 years ago

I have owned a space mission and installed blinker bulbs behind each star that the BG allows. nice look. As far as I know no Em's have an attractive mode.

#7 6 years ago

In other words it doesn't "do" anything in "attract" mode other than sit there with the lights on. You can swap standard bulbs with blinking bulbs as you see fit.

#8 6 years ago

Just so you know, there is no special plug in that you would call a 'attract mode' on these old EMs. if you want flashing lights buy a box of 455 bulbs and plug and play to what looks good to you.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info on the lights, it was very helpful.

Another question I have on the Space Odyssey is this:

Sometimes when playing the game when the ball passes the flippers and finishes the current ball in play, it doesn't kick the next ball out. i.e. ball 2 in play, ball 3 doesn't kick out to be played. If I turn the credit wheel manually, it will kick the ball out. It does this randomly? Any ideas what would cause this?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from scottnagle:

Thanks for all the info on the lights, it was very helpful.
Another question I have on the Space Odyssey is this:
Sometimes when playing the game when the ball passes the flippers and finishes the current ball in play, it doesn't kick the next ball out. i.e. ball 2 in play, ball 3 doesn't kick out to be played. If I turn the credit wheel manually, it will kick the ball out. It does this randomly? Any ideas what would cause this?

Does the bonus count down and kick up to 1000 when the ball drains? If not need to look at the bonus unit as it has to zero out to knock the ball out.

#11 6 years ago

On the 2nd ball, when it drained, it started counting the 1k bonuses on the score wheels, then just waited. Did not kick the 3rd ball. This was after a few extra balls for the 2nd ball multiple times.

Not sure what to look at/for exactly?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from scottnagle:

On the 2nd ball, when it drained, it started counting the 1k bonuses on the score wheels, then just waited. Did not kick the 3rd ball. This was after a few extra balls for the 2nd ball multiple times.
Not sure what to look at/for exactly?

Here is a picture of a Williams bonus unit, not necessarily from a space odyssey but it's similar. The switches on the right side are what you need to look at. When the bonus unit reaches zero, the pin hits that switch stack. Some switches make, some break so you need to manually activate it and examine the switches to make sure they are making contact when they should be. The bonus unit is on the bottom of the playfield.

IMG_0423 (resized).JPGIMG_0423 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-odyssey-attract-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.