(Topic ID: 244990)

Williams Space Mission score motor keeps running.

By Sea_Wolf

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space Mission reset relays (resized).jpg
Space Mission reset (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I had a similar issue when I bought it but after cleaning a lot of switches it stopped.

Here’s what it’s doing: When I push start button the score reels all reset to Zero like they should but the score motor and the 1&2 and the 3&4 Reset relays in the backbox keep running.

If I manually step up a few of the score reels on the 2nd player reels and then turn game on and start a game, everything resets and the score motor stops, the 1&2 and 3&4 Reset relays stop and the ball kicks out to the shooter lane. In other words it starts a game like it should.

But after I play a game and push the start button to play another, the score reels all reset to zero but the original problem occurs with the score motor and 1&2 and 3&4 Reset relays won’t stop running.

Wondering why manually stepping up a couple of score reels stops the problem temporarily? Thanks

#2 4 years ago

The complete reset sequence is in the manual on ipdb, but an interesting part of it is:
Space Mission reset (resized).jpgSpace Mission reset (resized).jpg
It could be that the reset circuit doesn't recognize that the score reels have all zeroed.

There are two different switches on each score reel that activate when the score reel reaches the zero position. One is used to stop any more reset pulses from advancing the score reel and the other tells the reset circuit that the reel has reached zero. In this game there are 16 switches wired in parallel that all need to open when the 16 score reels are at zero to allow the Reset relays to relax and the Score Motor to stop.
Space Mission reset relays (resized).jpgSpace Mission reset relays (resized).jpg
Chances are the one of those 16 switches isn't opening reliably, or has an intermittent short like on the solder tabs, etc. It's also possible that the problem is with the Bonus relay switch.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago

I had to play with my SM score reel switches some. Make sure that the '0' pos. switches are all nice and clean and that the screws on the sw. stacks are tight.

#4 4 years ago

Both of your responses make a lot of sense and are helpful. I’m going to start there when I get home from work.

Another thing I noticed late last night was that if I played a 2 Player game and used the Player 2 score reels, everything reset and started perfect when starting a game after that. Something about the switches on the Player 2 score reels?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Something about the switches on the Player 2 score reels?

Or more likely that the problem is on 3 or 4.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The complete reset sequence is in the manual on ipdb, but an interesting part of it is:
[quoted image]
It could be that the reset circuit doesn't recognize that the score reels have all zeroed.
There are two different switches on each score reel that activate when the score reel reaches the zero position. One is used to stop any more reset pulses from advancing the score reel and the other tells the reset circuit that the reel has reached zero. In this game there are 16 switches wired in parallel that all need to open when the 16 score reels are at zero to allow the Reset relays to relax and the Score Motor to stop.
[quoted image]
Chances are the one of those 16 switches isn't opening reliably, or has an intermittent short like on the solder tabs, etc. It's also possible that the problem is with the Bonus relay switch.
/Mark

I think you nailed it Mark. One of switches on the 1000 unit of the Player 2 score reels had a solder tab that had loosened and I didn’t see it. Snipped and resoldered it and everything is resetting and starting correctly.

Thanks to both of you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-mission-score-motor-keeps-running and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.