• Latest reply 3 years ago by cbartal
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Good Day, I picked up a Williams Space Mission for about 800 bucks plus s/h a few weeks or so ago. It was one of two of my favorite machines (the other is Bally Aladdin's Castle which I'm restoring). The backglass is a "10" with the normal areas of wear on the playfield however it's still clean and the clear coat is very nice. I haven't fired it up yet since I noticed that the power cord is very old and appears to be a lamp cord (2 prong). I've got one on order but noticed that the power cord is pigtailed to 2 wires....yellow and brown. Schematics show the yellow wire which transitions to red to the transformer, however the other wire should be black. Also, found that there is a capped off green wire which doesn't make sense in the schematics. Wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if the green wire is ground. I'm not electrical savvy and my schematic reading skills are minimum....just want to know if anyone else has seen this? Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Search for Vids guide to replacing line cords

#4 3 years ago

Thanks, I'll have a look!

#5 3 years ago

I read Vid's guides which emphasized cord replacement and safety precautions....good stuff but not answering my question. It looks like someone spliced and pigtailed in a 2 prong lamp cord. From what I can see, there is a brown wire pigtailed to the power cord which I believe is going to the transformer....the other spliced wire I'm having trouble tracing since it bundled tightly in the wiring harness. Lastly, in the same area is a green...which is capped off and I believe is grounded to the transformer. I'm just having a heck of a time verifying the yellow wire....and the schematic isn't helping....any ideas? Thanks.

#6 3 years ago

Wire color does not mean much, if you look at the schematic, it says wire colors may not agree with the schematic. For this machine, the power cord should be a three prong. Green goes to ground, white goes directly to the transformer, and black (hot) should go to a fuse, which then goes to the master on/off switch, which then goes to the transformer.

It sounds like someone spliced a power cord in and did not use ground.

#7 3 years ago

I would check to see which wires on fuse that is in-between the cord and the master toggle switch. That will be the black (hot). As Billc479 stated)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 3 years ago

Will check....unfortunately I have to cut through the waxy wire ties to trace the hot and neutral. Thanks

#9 3 years ago

Use a multimeter

#10 3 years ago

The cord was pretty bad, didn't want to plug it in and use a meter. I was able to trace the wires....yes yellow went to fuse, brown to transformer and green ground...added a new cord and fired it up. Credits were set to 17 and I was able to play 1 game, however after game over....that was it. Credits still remained....now trying to identify the credit zero switch which should be in closed position...can't ID it. I read pinrepair which showed a pic of a Bally and Gottlieb zero switch, but not a Williams. Everything else appears to be in good working condition. Machine hadn't been fired up in 10 years I was told, but was working when it was put into storage.

#11 3 years ago

If it hasnt been fired up for a few years it is likely going to need some work.

#12 3 years ago

I found the credit zero switch...it was definitely open....I closed the switch manually and it fired up again...will take care of that issue. Otherwise...a few adjustments to scoring need to be made and a good cleaning of components and I think it'll be good. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#13 3 years ago

I just rewired the cord on my Space Mission I picked up. The brown was wired to the hot, the yellow was neutral, and green was ground. I don't know if that helps, but that's how mine was wired. The only reason I redid it was because the cord was too short to be of much use. The previous owner did have several wrong fuses, though... I hope that helps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-mission-power-cord-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.